We need a way to manage followers

I would like to see at least some management of followers. Now we have such bad things:

• there is no way to save a set of items and selected skills of a follower, as well as there is no way to associate such a set with a specific build of the character; as result, for different builds, every time you have to select / re-set a follower settings by hands.

• if we play with several characters, then we have to equip their followers; this was not a big problem in the days when only six slots had to be filled, but now that the number of slots has increased and the characteristics of items have become important, we either have to spend time and resources on farming / crafting the same items (read: making copies of followers for all characters), or transferring items of followers from one character to another through the chest – this way looks very ugly.

• if we play only by one character and the mainstat of the character and his follower are different, then we have to create a dummy character to get items with the mainstat needed for the follower.

Hope someone else will add suggestions.

Please make it easier to manage our followers, thanks.

16 Likes

Make all 3 Followers mode-wide, to be used by all toons.

So simple.

9 Likes

I don’t mind followers not being shared between characters, gives you more stuff to farm.

Follower settings not being saved in the armory is a much bigger annoyance. Really considering to just have a dedicated GR follower and another one for bounties and keys.

The main stat problem is an issue, but at least you can get around it with a small effort by rerolling affixes on another character.

I find it quite appealing in an ARPG to have group play with NPCs, preferably with their own soul, story, good AI and role splitting Tank DD Heal CC etc. if you want it that way.
Or how to put your group together just at the end, if there are enough NPCs that have their own nice story, but move around with the player in a small group of 4 people and then say something about things and seem like real companions, not wooden dolls that you just dress.
So more push through the RPG.
I already had a lot of fun with it in Dungeon Siege 2.
And I find that Blizz has expanded the companion, but very appealing.

It certainly has room for improvement, I’ll have to take a closer look. I have seen that they have now already significantly more itemslots.
So far, the companions always seemed but rather only pale and as a kind of utility cattle for a few buffs and tricks, but otherwise … hardly noticed.

In D2 they seem even more like pure utility dummies…a bit boring.
Since the question arises directly, whether there will be such NPC companions in D4 and if so, hopefully a little reasonably exciting implemented and that the choice is really hard and they also act as if they were alive and have their character and their soul.

Well I would find it quite, if you could build the companions from a few different Ki options, what reasonable behavior.
Heal and CCler strong and otherwise retreat back to safety.
Or draw attention to yourself and protect me. Or sneak up on the enemies from behind, use poisons constantly and stay in the back of the enemies, etc.

+1 I totally agree!

I think it would be a good first step if the follower and his equipment would be stored in the armory as well.
That would at least solve transfering follower equipment for one char.

I think having to farm an increased amount of follower equipment for each char is ok, when I’m too lazy to pass their equipment around characters. This is not a real option anyways since different classes will likely need different follower equipment.

The last issue @bigblack mentioned is maybe the biggest - the wrong main stat. It’s already time intense to farm a perfect item for the char, but at least one wrong attribute can be rolled.
If the follower needs a different main stat I need to find a perfect item with all needed stats so I can reroll the main stat. Also, I will need another char with the same main stat to actually be able to roll that stat.

2 Likes

Eh, it’s not really an issue unless you’re not using an immortality token on the follower. On most items there’s 1 or 2 affixes that won’t be of any benefit to the follower no matter how perfectly it’s rolled. Take shoulders for example - the only benefit a follower can gain from shoulder affixes is main stat + area damage; the other two affixes are going to be pointless defensive affixes (+Vit, +Armor, +Resists, CDR, RCR, etc.)

Things start to tighten up if you are going to use Heart of Iron for thorns damage, then Vitality becomes a more important stat, and if you’re not using an immortality token those defensive affixes actually become useful.

But otherwise it’s not hard to find an item where re-rolling the main stat (STR/DEX/INT) doesn’t negatively impact the item’s potential usefulness on a follower.

Of course it would help to have followers saved in the armory together with our builds in future patches. In the mean time to make things simple I just plan to use the Enchantress when I farm and the Scoundrel when I push (I will equip them accordingly of course). I don’t plan to use the Templar except when I play in Hardcore, as he is the best healer.

2 Likes

Suggestion - Could Mystic change the main attribute to give a choice of Dexterity, Strength or Intelligence since picked up items usually have attribute of main Toon and using the item for the follower often needs the main attribute changed.

1 Like

The byproduct of this being the loss of storage space the followers now offer. They’re like a second stash lol.

Just saying, expect some pushback because of that reason

1 Like

I think the follower changes are great and are a lot of fun, to be honest. However gearing them and tracking said gear, is a bit of a challenge.

• Ability to set mainstat at Mystic when enchanting gear. This has been asked for for a LONG time. Having to put an item in stash log out, switch chars, make new game to enchant, repeat new game process. It is more work on servers and a waste of time for players.
  • View entire account inventory from Char screen OR in game on any char. This is something I think we had with the dreaded AH, and has been requested back for many years. With followers it is nice to see who has what so you know to save that set of bracers for an alt merc on another char.

I am not against the Amory improvements either - but first they need to have visible tags on gear showing what char/build set that item belongs to. Something again, often requested. Once that is handled, adding the Mercs to the system would be great.

9 Likes

Please take that suggestion back.

We need the xtra storage space. This is the best part of the patch!

2 Likes

I don’t like followers at all as a game concept since D2.

This so much.

I rather spend some time to setup my followers for my main rather than letting the free 400+ item slots gone because of laziness.

2 Likes

14 chest stash tabs would help;
I have 12 characters, 2 character mules and 8 full stash tabs;
Now i need to gear up 14 followers…

When will the gated stash tab mistake finally be solved for regular players.

Since they all stand around in the same spot, if you could include a Duffle Bag or Tent or some other usual camp-like item for their storage, that’d be good. Or, if its easier to add to the Armory, that may be better.

I don’t plan to change my follower’s gear often myself but I can see why it could be helpful.

3 Likes

That is because you refuse to work hard and complete seasons. You should have 13. I have gotten on the train as if S21, so am looking to whirlwind my way to my 11th tab.

:point_up_2: :point_up_2: :clap: :clap: He acts like it’s an entitlement program.

The season journey looks very easy if anyone still needs a stash tab.

1 Like

I was looking at follower builds last night and it looks like there are pretty distinct sets for key/mat/db farming, GR/para farming and GR pushing. I’m wondering if people will just pick a follower for each so we don’t need to switch gear.

I was hoping follower gear would tie in with armory but obviously not. I’m wondering if there are any disadvantages of just picking 1 for each mode and gearing from there.

I think this is a good idea. A separate storage chest by the followers with three tabs - one for each follower.

I like the extra storage space the followers provide.

My simple solution is to keep your core follower setups in your shared stash.