Valla's Bequest Interaction *SOLVED*

If you’re going with a bow and shield combo, I’d say you’ve already given up on playing GoD. You’d need to have NCS cubed (and use ORotZ?) so Valla’s doesn’t apply anyway.

I’d be interested in someone doing the maths as to an optimal non-Valla’s attack speed. What would we need? 3 aps?

Very impressive piece of research, though. Remarkable team effort from across the globe.

1 Like

long time lurker here, thanks Iria et al for the testing

a quick question, so if I understand correctly, as long as we hit aps between 1.5001 and 1.6666, we won’t need Valla? (assume not ysing rocket storm)

if yes, would Etaryu and NCS with dawn cubed be a better option than dual wield 1hxbow? I believe aps < 1.6667 is doable by removing paragon point in aps and 18% or less ias in NCS and no other ias roll in gear.

1 Like

But this doesn’t mean that rocket storm and Valla’s can’t be used together as this would mean even more extra projectiles or am I wrong ?

i did. Its a breakpoint thing. While vallas generates additional HA, it does so only if you are off of a certain breakpoint.

Once those genius people figure out how to play with a perfect AS, it may become obsolet.
OR there is no such build and we wont care about the desync from the breakpoint and use vallas.

Thx for all the work. Wanted to test on myself and managed to hit 5APS (with pylon) - but couldn’t record on 60 FPS - so I gave up.

BPs (based on Nubtros old thread) to figure out how to reach 5 APS for testing:
https://abload.de/img/strafe_bpus0cj5s.jpg

May help in further discussions … (updated new infos from this OT).

1 Like

excellent work guys. i look forward to your detail results and what bps we need to hit.
the other thing is… is it worthwhile rolling for those bps or whether its easier to just wear (or cube) the valla for optiml dps output.

Which could explain why my limited testing never produced the effect; I strive for the highest attack speed I can get, so I was never within that window.

In any event, just as I said before, it isn’t the item to blame as the effect can be replicated in other ways. Knowing that fills me with dread over what they’re about to do to the set.

Sounds like Valla’s is only useful if your attack speed is between 1.67 and 2.5.

If your attack speed is above 2.5001, are you better off lowering it and then equipping / cubing Valla’s?

Is there another higher break point where you get the same effect from Valla’s?

What happens with Speed pylons? Do those generate more or fewer procs?

Is it better to weave manual shots or does that mess with the the number of procs?

If the frame bracket indicated (9 FPA) is indeed the most optimal, then:

2h Crossbow + Quiver:

• 1.1 AS Base weapon + 7% AS on weapon and 10% from paragon + 18%-20% on quiver

2h Bow + Quiver:

• 1.4 AS Base weapon and 0% from paragon + 15%-19% on quiver

1h Hand Crossbow + Shield:

• 1.6 AS Base weapon and 0% to 4% from paragon

These will land you between 1.5001 and 1.6667 AS (9 FPA Strafe).

The other option is to run two 1h Hand crossbows, Dawn and either Valla’s or Fortress Ballista. Additionally, place Rocket storm and / or other skills to help smoothe out the 4pc ICD, and have it proc more consistently. How many items and skills you want to add to the build to help with that is completely up to you.

Note: Credit dmkt for the shield idea. :orange_heart:

EDIT: to expand on this slightly, attack speed in general is calculated:

AS = WPN AS + (WPN AS * ADDITIVE AS)

Where:

• WPN AS= Base AS from weapon * (1 + AS modifier on weapon + other specific items or skills, such as Echoing fury, or Bone Spear Crystallization)
  • ADDITIVE AS = all other AS affixes on gear than weapons, summed with dual wield, and paragon. Most other skills that give AS also get added in this category. For example, Vyr 4pc also gets added in here.

So, in our 2h Crossbow, 1.1 AS example above,

• WPN AS = 1.1 * (1 + .07) = 1.177
  • ADDITIVE AS = .1 + .18 = .28

Attack Speed =
1.177 + (1.177 * .28) =
1.177 + (.32956) =
1.50656 AS

This amount is just above the breakpoint amount of 1.5001, so it hits 9 FPA for Strafe.

2 Likes

Check the link I posted. For 1 hands there are not many options anyways.
You’ll start at 7 FPA with 0 IAS on gear. 18 IAS gear required - Paragon and Quiver get you to 30 (dual wield to 25).
Hitting 6 FPA needs 34 IAS on gear. That’s one IAS roll with 1hand+quiver or 2 IAS rolls with dual wield. If that is worth it - not clear - no idea. Probably not.

In the OT “optimal” is probably the wrong word. I’d say “default/standard”. Blizz designed the skill to work with all weapons, so if you use a Manticore you still get enough proccs - this min-max mechanic is kinda new. 9 FPA or 1.5001 are the default. They don’t have to be the best. Could possibly be, as we don’t know all mechanics yet.

OT was about understanding the Valla magic. We now understand why it works (or can work) - but there is no recommendation on what is perfect.

What is really optimal - nobody knows at this point. Mechanics are not really clear. At least they haven’t been explained in this thread.

Quote from OT:

Lastly, I would like to add that there is some more work to be done in determining optimal breakpoints with dual wield setups with Valla’s Bequest when above 1.6667 attacks per second.

TLDR: We understand now why Valla can work - but nothing more. Nobody recommended to run with shield because that would be “effective”.

Edit: Have watched the twich vid - clears a lot of things up! OT was pretty vague to me - but 9 FPA should solve the “desync” problem as it seems.

1 Like

My main takeaway from this testing is that GoD is a very versatile build and that there are several ways to run it efficiently.

3 Likes

So… let me get this right…

1. 4pc primary has ICD of 9 FPA.
  2. Therefore you really don’t want Strafe to tick faster than 9 FPA.
  3. If you inadvertently go faster than 9 FPA on Strafe then Valla will fix your problem so you dont need to wait another 7 frames for the next primary to fire off.
  4. This means one of the many optimal setup to hit exactly 9 FPA are those combos that Cratic pointed out in this post. Interestingly, it means if you are using a bow, you should use a non-primal ancient quiver. as hitting 20 IAS with a bow actually lowers your DPS.

In conclusion, it seem to me that Valla is not a bug, but rather it fixes a “bug” that Blizzard inadvertently caused higher IAS on Strafe to reduce DPS of the 4pc GOD set. Because if you are at 8 FPA, you actually fire a primary every 16 frames. Where as if you are at 9 FPA, you fire a primary every 9 frames. Therefore, the theory that Valla could increase your DPS up to 50% is indeed correct.

P.S. Fandom claims that normal Strafe projectiles are instant, so there should be no Doppler effect to cause desync

3 Likes

I condensed the video link down to the first 2 hours unedited and made it a highlight on my stream channel for anyone to checkout.

Twitch

Eventually when i can get around to it, i will further made edits and possibly a summary video of everything explained and what options you have to set yourself up based on the information and testing we’ve done.

4 Likes

I replaced the link in the OP with your condensed edit. Eventually, I’ll replace it with the even shorter edit.

1 Like

Yes, that is what we noticed. When we had an attack speed between 1.5001 and 1.6666, it appeared that Valla’s did not do anything and we had a fast rate of primary attacks with Strafe.

Yes, Valla’s fills in the gaps between when the Strafe can fire another primary and the next Strafe tick.

We aren’t sure yet about what the optimal setup is but yes, if you run with a Bow (e.g. Odyssey’s End) with zero paragon points into attack speed, your quiver must have 19% or less attack speed to stay in that 9 FPA breakpoint range. If you get a primal quiver, it pushes you into the next breakpoint which actually nerfs your damage! This is a very counter-intuitive problem!

3 Likes

regarding the optimal setup - since most of the dmg comes from the 4pc proc, i dont see any reason for going above 9 FPA. so its now an exercise of finding the optimal wpn and offhand combos to hit that window.

using a bow allows you to run odyssey at the cost of unable to use primal quiver.

not using a bow means losing the 150% buff from odyssey which seem like a lot to lose on pushing. for non-pushing, odyssey isnt needed so theres a lot of possible setups. i will probably stick with the simple setup that wudi suggested - go with highest dmg 2h xbow and hit that sweet 9 FPA window.

1 Like

If you want to stay in that 1.5001 to 1.6666 attacks per second range, then the best options are using a 2-hand crossbow (there aren’t any good legendary powers though), using a bow (Odyssey’s End, Etrayu, or maybe Leonine Bow of Hashir are the best here), or using a hand-crossbow with a shield (Lidless Wall seems to be the best option here).

It is impossible to dual wield or use a hand-crossbow with a quiver and remain under 1.6666 attacks per second since the quiver provides too much attack speed.

1 Like

Awesome work. I was wondering if the Demolition Rune acted diffrently since it has a differnt aps than other Strafe Runes?

We didn’t test but it should behave differently since there are fewer projectiles per volley. According to D3planner, Demolition fires 2 grenades per attack cycle instead of 4 (the other runes), thus unless you surpass 3.3333 attacks per second, you won’t get to the point you fire a primary every other hit (which is what happens if you surpass 1.6666 attacks per second with other runes).

That said, if your attack speed is too low (under 1.6666) when using Demolition, you would benefit from Valla’s since you could spawn 2 primaries per grenade provided the pierced grenade hits a target farther away.

the best options are using a 2-hand crossbow (there aren’t any good legendary powers though), using a bow (Odyssey’s End, Etrayu, or maybe Leonine Bow of Hashir are the best here)

i checked d3planner. Arcane Barb with 7% IAS (to meet the 9 FPA requirement) does more dmg per hit than Etrayu with 20% elemental roll - assuming you already have 40% cold on ammy / bracers.

so really i think the choice comes down do whether you need to have Odyssey or not. If you need it then you have to wear the non-primal satchel. if not then a 2h xbow is probably close to being the best choice. and Arcane Barbs can be crafted by the dozens at a time.