Update the Follower skills and add some gems

As long as the developers are updating some of the old sets and items. Please do something with the followers for us solo players. You could start by including the additional skills that were removed prior to release. Or, at least rework some of the current skills. Some follower legendary gems would also be most welcome. People have been asking for this for years.

I wish I knew what these other skills did, give us more options, PLEASE! :ok_hand:

7 Likes

I second this motion. Bringing back new tiers for levels 35-40 and 60, 70 would be nice. Each tier at level 40, 60 and 70 would add 2 skills to chose from. I’d like them to have more impact on solo play also. Disabling traps, opening specific doors, opening locked chests or providing lights at the dark areas would be fine.
If you go ahead, some special ability for saving you from the clutches of a huge beast that could insta-kill you, like a team player… but perhaps I’m imagining way too far.

5 Likes

The Templar could have an aura that does massive holy damage.
The Scoundrel could open chests and doors.
The Enchantress could provide light in dark places.

So many options to work with.

1 Like

It would be nice to have them do anything else than cc (and damage sink through Unity) but it’s unlikely we will get anything game-changing. Some multipliers to dmg, perhaps, but even that is doubtful. Especially with the focus on group play that we currently have, I wouldn’t expect anything for the followers, in particular if it would involve a new mechanics.

Already made a thread about followers, with included skill changes (wanted those extra skills too from beta or alpha of D3) and adjustments to followers and guess what? No one gave a damn or hated it although my suggestions made followers almost as strong as your current char you’re playing, but yeah, it’s easy to hate than come up with any of your own ideas… and than people wonder why we get no changes to followers at all…

It’s like in Taylor Swifts song --> "Haters gonna hate…"

1 Like

I have always pushed for an update to the followers, if people do not care about them they do not need to use them. For people who use them, give us some love. Not everyone is a rift fisher in the four man meta. Solo players have also paid for the game, let us play the way we want. :kiss:

4 Likes

They really need to buff the followers damage wise. This could be useful in closing the gap between solo and group players. For as long as I can remember, followers have been relegated to the role of walking, talking buff. Nothing worse than playing a UE dh and watching all the monsters walk right by the Templar as he is hopelessly, pathetically flailing away at them for essentially zero damage.

The best way to fix this would be to add some legendary gems that only the followers can use. This way the followers can scale up with the player as they progress through the GR levels.

2 Likes

Let the followers get some benefit from paragon levels, instead of just freeze at 70.

4 Likes

You can just give him Azurewrath and Bul-Kathos’ ring for that. I’m more of interested in utility they may offer. If you’re really into it, he may get a skill where he can share your Nephalem Glory effect once you’ve achieved it; he might be able to pull aggro abit better in combat that way.

Templar is the keyword guy in the lore, his ramblings can be used to move gigantic stone doors or open secret passages to the places that are locked in the Campaign. Each Act can have its side stories thanks to him.
Scoundrel can disable deadly traps leading to certain areas and unlock locked chests for gaining access towards different areas. Just like stone walls and passages, each act may have hidden areas behind deadly environmental hazards as well.
Enchantress can act just like you’ve described, she provides lights in dark areas and casts some light emitting wards here and there for you to pass through a dangerous territory.

However, there’s that conundrum of who would go with that? Nobody really plays Campaign to utilize those abilities. Campaign rewards must be fixed for Follower abilities to gain some sort of importance first. It’s a long shot but I wish jewels, runes and charms were to return for small item chase.
Yet again, this sorta thing shouldn’t prevent developers from improving the solo play. Developers can turn them into better buff providers where their professions are widely helpful for certain specs or they could simply litter the old abilties and replace them with the better ones.

When Paragon 2.0 was introduced I actually had some fun in gimp and made a pic of a follower that could equip all items just like our char and had it’s own paragon level, skills that could be leveled like in D2 and some more crazy random things which made any follower pretty bad a$$…

Made also new jewels (like in D2 lod) with pics included, skill runes that actually could be leveled in some way (each skill runes had 3 other effects), just by killing monsters, a new inventory with categories for item stored, increased stash and many more crazy stuff, but that was a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away)…

Maybe have a skill/item that they stand in front of you and die instead of you? Self Sacrifice…

1 Like

That could work if it’s an embed skill with a very long cooldown. So long that it require you to use 50% cooldown reduction token instead of invulnerability to have a proper go at it. I always thought that’d fit your own pets better but I think a Follower ability is a better call. Once you have tons of CdR% that sorta second cheat-death thing can go out of hand if it doesn’t have an inner cooldown.

1 Like

Yeah, I was just thinking out loud - I do wish they would rework the followers somehow, someway.

The ring is not that useful, the Templar should have an aura similar to the Crusaders law, the aura should emanate from the Templar, and should not be contingent on any Item. Kormac is the greatest Templar. He took on the Grand Maester and the Templar order. Lesser demons should melt in his holy aura. That is what I would like to see. :sunglasses: I enjoyed the follower side quests, I wish they expanded them even more. Some players do not even know about them.

There is no reason Executioner shouldn’t have worked. if 10% was OP, lower it to 4-7%. It’s not like the item is seeing any play, is it?

I thought they left it for another expansion but now it appears we’re all outta luck to learn what happened to them. Just like we don’t have any idea to what happened to D2 heroes after Worldstone destroyed.

Yeah, I brought that up during the PTR but have completely forgotten about it since. Has anyone tested if it works on followers now?

Nev replied directly to me. She said it wasn’t intended. here’s the link directly. Missed a golden opportunity.

Echoing Fury: This would have been good for the Templar, another missed opportunity.

• New Legendary Power: Slaying enemies engulfs the wielder into a Frenzy. (Killing enemies increases your attack speed by 15% and movement speed by 5%. This effect stacks up to 5 times)

I had it in the cube for my Monk early on, but had to replace it.

Unless they changed it to be triggered by someone else’s kills a la In-Geom or Bane of The Powerful it runs right into the other issue with followers, past the lowest difficulties they don’t kill much of anything.