Twisted Sword Raging Storm + Wicked Wind Rune Bug

MasterJay please refrain from creating such topics as Wizard Energy Twister much better!
before everything is tested. This way you show Blizzard everything is ok when it is not. Can you edit this post, because “Absolutely perfect, Thank you x1000, DON’T CHANGE A THING!” is completely wrong and is misleading for Blizzard.

3 Likes

What’s actually ‘wrong’ is that Wicked Wind rune is bugged. Me saying it’s ‘perfect’ is my opinion. Me editing my opinion would be irrelevant.

No disrespect to Lexy, awesome streamer and amazing wizard - but his OP is actually incorrect. If players want WW to be improved to do the full damage of Raging, well then that’s an entirely different thing, but you’d basically be making WW without question the best choice for all situations which I’m sure something would be better than nothing when it comes to being meta.

EDIT: Turns out there actually is something wrong, but it’s not with Wicked Wind. Apparently the Raging storm the actual rune is bugged, it’s losing damage via combining past the natural 2 combination (3,4,5) .okay now that’s actually a bug and pretty bad. Very well, taking down my post then, I’d ask Lexy to submit that bug instead to get more attention on it.

I’m wondering to myself here but do you work for Bliz? are you a dev? How do you know what was intended.

No not this, see below

This is what I was talking about all along. I tried to explain it to Lex last night on his stream, but he wasn’t understanding it.

1 Like

Of course WW will be the best choice, but we all Wizards wanted an affix making twisters spin in place (or giving Wicked Wind rune).
Blizzard didn’t listen, they made this change to Twisted Sword giving Raging Storm rune only to reduce lag.
Luckily for us it enables us to pick Wicked Wind, thus having stationary Raging Storm (only viable rune), but as it occurs it is bugged.

Blizzard ignored all our Wizard feedback, we are trying to make this one change to work as it should be.

Ah! Thank you for explaining. Yes we need to check.

1 Like

Well this is what I’m saying though, we’d be running back down that path again with WW in vanilla just taking over everything. The way it is now at least the other runes are more useful for speeds. When we slow it down and push the max GR , especially in 4 man’s then it deserves to shine, but buffing WW’s damage would just make it best for everything (not to mention likely overtake anything else). Not sure I’d support that.

I am very disappointed they ignored everything else, but it was clear Twisters were super disappointing and needed priority.

The way the patch note is written is unclear and causing some confusion. When it says “the Raging Storm rune is automatically applied” what exactly does that mean? Some are assuming it will inherit everything from the rune tooltip including the increased weapon damage, while others are interpreting it as only gaining the effect of the rune (merging mechanic and increased AoE).

I’m afraid they’ve done this backwards. The effect that we wanted was stationary twisters. Instead the effect granted was twister merging.

In another thread I asked a related question about whether Arcane Attunement and Arcane Dynamo can even be used with twister now since it seems like any snapshotted damage buffs could be overwritten once twisters merge.

But you are viewing it wrong, it is not buffing WW damage. We were given Raging Storm rune from Twisted Sword for free, the best rune with highest damage and area, which even before that change to Twisted Sword everyone would be still using.
But random nature of moving twisters make this build very bad, it only shined when Raging Storm twisters were stuck on objects thus making it spin in place.
Thanks to this change and possibility to chose Wicked Wind rune we can at least make this build viable again. And I will take it gladly when our oher builds were simply destroyed in this patch.

Exactly and remember how strong that was back then?? We were like 20 tiers ahead of any other meta build!

So here we are, with that dream again…with everything buffed to the teeth compared to almost 20 seasons ago and are we really going to say ‘well wicked wind only does ½ the damage in Raging form vs other runes that fly all around, and btw I only have about 3x5 stacked WW’s here with my PE’ :stuck_out_tongue: I mean lowkey that’s why I was saying it was so good, perfect was the wrong choice sorry, I’ve edited that now.

But be reasonable guys…

Exactly. But as I wrote earlier their intention was not to give us stationary twisters, but to reduce lag. Luckily for us merging twisters comes with the best rune with highest damage which everyone was going to use anyway, giving us the possibilty to make this rune stationary by also choosing Wicked Wind rune.

For me wording “The Raging Storm rune is automatically applied” means only one thing, as you wrote “it will inherit everything from the rune tooltip including the increased weapon damage”. There is no word “effect”.

Imagine there was an item applying all runes to the skill with 5 runes all dealing different damages plus some other effect (100% + some effect 1, 120% + some effect 2, 130% + some effect 3, 150% + some effect 4, 160% + some effect 5).
Logical outcome would be skill dealing 160% damage (highest one from all runes) plus combined effects of all runes.

Only in groups, not solo. Now this build is unplayable in groups because is still severely lagging. What is more there are already two meta group builds clearing 150 GR easily, so what is wrong with third build also clearing 150 GR in party?

But more important is solo clear potential, Wizard is the weakest class regarding solo pushing high GR’s!

Idk when the game wasn’t constantly trying to boot me and unplayable the lag was a lot better…I even had PE on and thats with this bad PTR server that obviously having issues since we cannot even play.

So I’d be very hesitant to say this didn’t fix twister lag with all other things working against it. Not like there’s a thousand twister wizards out there pulling 4 man meta group twisters right off the bat here on day one testing, I’m going to guess when it goes live it will perform much better. We’ll see.

And yeah obviously that was back then and this is now and we do need a big bump up, but I’d rather see it in a more balanced way then WW Twisters or leave, I feel like hydras could have used another bump up, obviously the other sets but they’re less concerned about that right now it seems.

Hi Frank. I agree, I also expected this outcome.

Again, I agree this would have also been my expected outcome. However, in this case I don’t think we can look at items that grant “all runes” for precedent, since that could be different than when an item only grants one extra rune. Items that grant “all runes” commonly applies to super forms like Archon, Shadow Power, and Wrath of the Berserker, or to utility skills like Blood Rush, Furious Charge, and Slow Time. Many of these don’t have updated weapon damage per se, but certainly give all the effects.

That said, I’m sure there must be some precedent for the behavior of items that grant one or more additional (but not all) runes. Gazing Demise, for example, says “Spirit Barrage gains the Phantasm rune.” Does this item grant both the effect and the increased damage? It’s been long since I’ve played WD.

Here is a link to a topic that lists items that grant additional runes or all runes. Something in this list should provide precedent for expected behavior of the updated Twisted Sword. Many of these specifically state “gains the effect of x rune,” whereas Twisted Sword is worded differently.
https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/d57u34/gear_that_gives_all_runes/

Raging Storm is an unusual rune in the game where multiple casts actually cause it to essentially cast a new skill with a new weapon damage percent. Is there any other precedent in the game for that behavior?

This is the case for Raekors Set for example , thats why i also thought that it will incluse the dmg of RS.

im curious, how are they able to access the ptr right now? its been down for a couple of days

I’ve performed a quick mechanics test with the new Twisted Sword. Below are my findings. Please remember that I wasn’t able to confirm the exact weapon% damage values, seeing as this is without a min-max weapon, however, this gives a good approximation.

Confirmed also that Wicked Wind 5 stack is doing about half the damage of Unruned 5 stack, even though Twisted sword gives the Raging Storm rune now.

Twister is stackable on terrain and corners again. Corner stacked twister lasted full duration. Damage of the corner stacked twister at the beginning of the video is the same as tested without corner stacking, meaning the twister isn’t disappearing when corner stacked.

Damage is scaling up with Twisted sword multiplier (8.5x at 5 stacks) and is approximately 5 times as much when Twister is combined to 5 stacks.

Tested runes: Unruned, Raging Storm, Wicked Wind.

Damage values were approximately:

~100k avg. without Twisted sword, unruned.
~250k avg. with 1 stack Twisted Sword, Unruned.
~4250k avg. with 5 stack Twisted Sword, Unruned.
Damage is approximately = 100k * 8.5 (TS multi) * 5 (stacks).

~50k avg. without Twisted sword, Wicked Wind.
~125k avg. with 1 stack Twisted Sword, Wicked Wind.
~2,125k avg. with 5 stack Twisted Swork, Wicked Wind.
Damage is approximately = 50k * 8.5 (TS multi) * 5 (stacks).

~100k avg. without Twisted sword, Raging Storm.
~250k avg. with 1 stack Twisted Sword, Raging Storm.
~4250k avg. with 5 stack Twisted Sword, Raging Storm.
Damage is approximately = 100k * 8.5 (TS multi) * 5 (stacks).

Tested: v2.6.10.71042.

4 Likes

I have done the test and i can confirm that the below are the dmg formulas, i spend couple of hours trying to figure them out. I worked out the numbers for two states : Twister - no Rune and Twister - WW rune

No rune:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/411394293521973251/769395643239628870/unknown.png

WW rune:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/411394293521973251/769420075555749908/unknown.png

There is no bug, it is working correctly.

As per the equations, Going with no rune yeilds higher dmg than using ww, simply cause you drop from 1525% weapon damage to 835% weapon damage.keeping everything the same, the BASE dps dropped from 10k to 5.5K just by changing rune to ww.
As you can see, the base dps is used each time you cast a twister; for each twister it is calculated by multiplying the base dps by 1+n(150/100) where n is the number of the twister , and then added to the next twister. finally, the RS rune dps is added and is calculated based on the base dps multiplied by the RS multiplier and the Twistedsowrd multiplier.
Remember, When we get a Tornade ( after casting two twisters ) , the 3rd time we cast twister the calculations doesn’t include Twisted Sword multiplier for 3 twisters , because only ONE Twister is available (the other 2 had already formed a Tornado). It follows the same pattern for the 4th and 5th twister.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to correct me if anything is missing

You are missing the part where the Raging storm rune should be applied even when choosing wicked wind since it is applied through twister sword. An example would be any item that applies 2 or all runes of a particular skill. Wizard for instance have Crown of The Primus where you gain all the slow time runes regardless of which one you choose.

Interaction between twisted sword and Wicked wind is bugged indeed.

1 Like

So does this mean that the tooltip of the Twisted Sort icon on the bottom is wrong when it shows me 5 stacks but those are 5 twisters merged to one and thus i only get the dmg-multiplier for 1 twister from the sword?

Does this then mean it would be like this:

Cornerstack 5 twisters for dmg —> cast 4 twisters elsewhere to get the dmg-buff?