Wizard Energy Twister much better!

EDITED: The new effect seems to be working great, apparently a bug with Raging rune itself, more tests need to be done but from my runs before it had much more damage, its seeming to benefit much more with Area damage than before - likely due to the radius increase from wicked > raging and with stacking 5 in one the burst is much more prominent.

Love the change!

1 Like

Despite the wicked wind bug?

1 Like

There is no WW bug, that’s working as intended.

When I tried playing the new ES build early in the PTR I went from autocasting multiple powerful spells like Hydras, Meteors, and Blackholes to randomly wandering wisps that don’t hit their targets half the time or lag out the servers. Clearly you have a different experience, do you mind sharing your setup?

3 Likes

Yeah, specifically what you like and why. I haven’t been impressed with what I’ve seen on YouTube.

I use a reverse archon LoD Twister set up with 4th cube so all Deathwish+Valtheks+Etched Sigil (new) + Twisted Sword. I don’t bother with channeling belt or Leorics Crown, I use Swami and Fazulas belt. I use Obsidian Ring to get back into archon without having to load up on CDR, this gives more room for Area damage + Defense stats.

You could use DMO Twister and probably get similar results, the reverse is only really good in group set ups, but the dps is powerful enough now to handle solos which before it was not, not even close.

The only thing holding me back is taking all those hits, so clearly zdps in groups would solve this. This is absolutely meta capable now.

1 Like

aside from crashing games n stuff it’s awesome…

Well, thanks for sharing but I rarely play wizards in groups. Largely because their mobility sucks so badly I’m often a whole rift level or two behind by the time the group finishes. So thanks, but no thanks, I’ll still consider the entire Etched Sigil change a monumental disaster. But, heh, glad you found something. Looks like Typhon’s for S22.

2 Likes

“The Twisted Sword: Energy Twister damage is increased by 125-150% for each Energy Twister you have out up to a maximum of 5. The Raging Storm rune is automatically applied to Energy Twister and allows the tornado to merge with 3 additional Energy Twisters”

I’m not clear on the dmg mechanics related to twisters that merge into the large tornado. If we cast 1 Wicked Wind it carries 835% weapon damage. If we cast a second Wicked Wind it also carries 835% weapon damage. Assuming these never merge into the large tornado, having 5 out would equal (835% X 5) = 4175% weapon damage.

However, if the first 2 Wicked Winds merge, the large tornado itself now carries 3200% weapon damage. Additionally, the large tornado can now accept 3 additional individual twisters worth 835% each. So the total for 5 twisters in this scenario of 1 large tornado + 3 additional twisters would be (3200% X 1) + (835% X 3) = 5705% weapon damage.

What about a scenario where you create 2 large tornadoes that then merge and you add the last single twister. Would this then be (3200% X 2) + (835 X 1) = 7235?

Further, are buffs that are snapshot into individual twisters (such as Arcane Dynamo and Arcane Attunement) preserved or removed once they merge into the combined tornado? For example, what if we empower 2 individual Wicked Wind twisters each with 20 stacks of Arcane Attunement (1.8 multi) and 5 stacks of Arcane Dynamo (1.6 multi). When these 2 merge does it just revert back to 3200%?

Does the merging of individual twisters into the large tornado essentially make multis like Attunement and Dynamo unusable?

I will try to test some of this once PTR is back up.

1 Like

I have further questions as to the damage and how it will work in the grouped tornadoes. Being nados casted will deal area damage, and nados autocasted from channeling will not. When they combine do they stay with area damage or lose it to the ones that do not. I’m using LOD build, and i’ll cast one or two nados to pull everything in, hit with black hole and then start channeling. First to get area damaging nados out there while everyone’s grouped , and to get to 5 nados for max damage asap. Will I now lose the area damage window, cause when i channel autocast nado hits the group it defaults larger one to no area damage?

Going to try to clear this part up, firstly the two wicked winds unfortunately do not combine to = a Raging worth of damage…it just gains the benefit of being in one, boosting it’s radius, area damage, proc scaler but the damage only doubles, not quadruple. This is fair for a number of reasons but mainly because Raging and all Twisters move, while Wicked stays still.

So the total is still 4175% however now it’s twice the radius and twice the area damage. Furthermore (needs more testing) the way channeled twisters worked before is they wouldn’t benefit off AD unless it was combined with Raging, so it would suggest that if 1 Twister was manual and all other 4 were channeled, the combined 5 would still do Area damage where as before only 1 of the 4 uncombined would. That’s likely where I’m seeing the most massive damage difference from, not actual base weapon damage % .

Additionally all mergers stop at 5 and new Twisters begin that cannot merge with the original 5, but you definitely could (especially with a lot of attack speed) have 2 fully combined 5x stacked Twisters.

Unsure how any other buffs work with this total combined for snapshotting, obviously more testing must be done and there’s a bug with Raging storm rune- my previous comments were a bit premature.

Does it speed/multi proc Paralysys/Manald if picking Storm Chaser rune???

Something I certainly want to test if the proc scaler works like Raging should be pretty juicy. Raging from what I remember is double base Twister proc co-efficient and something like 10x that of WW (since you know…the hatred for CM/WW was super saiyan levels from the devs).

So what we have to test is if that merged WW / Storm chase or any twister acts exactly like Raging for proc scaler which was 31.25%.

Let’s also not forget the area of a WW or any twister of that matter gets over tripled when it’s in Raging form. Again I think players are severally underestimating how powerful that is for WW, even if WW is half the damage in Raging vs any other rune it’s still an enormous boost from it’s old form.

MasterJay I’m happy to see you stoked for a build, but I remember when a certain someone told the devs how amazing Spark is. Then they capped it…

Lol yes… that one wasn’t even fair I was in the wizard forums not PTR feedback, they lurked on me and I didn’t even have a video common. They aint got time for that these days :stuck_out_tongue:

Either way if others are saying its bugged or weak then it’s far too late for that, they’re likely to check it out regardless…

I will say it’s certainly not OP, the way things were before Twisters were like I said 8-10 GR’s behind our top builds, this change bridged the gap, didn’t overtake it. Don’t believe me wudijo did like a 125ish or so with it, so probably 130 mids with augments/gear/paragon…nothing crazy at all but certainly not weak. Obviously build is meant to shine in group and not solo though.

1 Like

I tought the damage would increase with this change, I dont think this build can be at the top tier if the damage doesn’t change, it’s sad because I like it

Just watched a video on an LoD twister doing quite well in a 125 GR with decently low paragons. Not sure it’s my play style though, too much repositioning for my taste but I’m actually excited to see it in the hands of capable wizard players who are used to it.

1 Like

Can I see the video?

Just google Wudijo “twisters are melting”. It will pop up. Was posted not too long ago.

Wudijo is an outstanding demon hunter, but he is rather questionable on Wizards.

1 Like