TurboHud, Bannable or Not?

StoneOld,

Does this now count as a recent enough post by Blizzard to address THUD as a cheat/bannable?

1 Like

If it mattets, grind harder and smarter. There are plenty high paragon non botters thats 8k+ with dedication. Do you realise the paragon stat diminishing hurts legitimate players like your selfs more than botters. Hypothetically, paragon is capped, you wouldn’t still competed because your 100 key GR fishing is pale to 10,000 key GR fishings. Paragon is not the only reason to bot for.

Cheating occurs everywhere. Its human nature to bend rules and authority. Even in Olympics, the highest fair competition morally wise, cheating are there, athletes wasn’t banned because he was clean, but undetected. But do other athletes protests daily on harsher and better detection policies / techniques or work better at their own games??

If you do care about LB like you states. Work harder at your characters. Some of my friends has 17k+ hrs on acct w/o bot or thurd. Lets not worry about what others do, on LB you are competing with no one but yourself. We push GR for tier and time aka perfecting strategy /gameplay of the build/playstyle. What rank achieve is side reward.

When you play NS from a late/new acct, you are prepared to compete with older accts that stacks tons of paragons. If you want more even ground, play seasons.

Do you have 150 gems and augments? If not, why do you think paragon is the only problem between you and rank 1?

1 Like

It doesnt as they said it “SHOULDNT” be used not that it “COULDNT” be used.
They have left the area super GREY. ( As per below )

When they outright say yes it is BANNABLE or NOT.
Thats a proper statement but they prefer to sit in grey so players all over the place are still going to use it as Blizzard Fails yet again to give a DEFINITIVE answer

FYI, if you have the Captain Crimsons bug… and yes it is a bug. The best way to get the plans is to do bounties on the character you are having the issue retrieving the plans on.

Create a new character.

Open bags on new character.

This as worked for me and the very first bag usually drops the plans right on the spot for me.

Somewhere in the game’s code it thinks you have gotten the plans already and doesn’t drop.

I know it sounds dumb… but this works.

2 Likes

Don’t mistake blind luck for skill.

Statistics tells the tale of that which is true outside of outliers from multiple aspects.

Just because you were lucky enough to have gotten the right rift sooner than others does not necessarily translate to being better skill wise.

You have to normalize the rng / variances to be able to say your skill is better. This is why having more or less is anything that isn’t inherent to your skill considered poor competition as it is a marker of time played as opposed to actual skill.

It’s not just the maps, it’s the mob type, density, pylon order, maps size with the right mob type and density, and rift guardian.

1 Like

Them acknowledging it by name at all is a huge change from the past (they just actively ignored it and refused to comment on it when the game was still popular and lots of people were using it) and the fact that he said they were going to say more soon suggests there’s about to be a shift in policy on it compared to the past.

Seems odd to actively start doing something about it now when the game is in maintenance mode and it’s far less relevant, but I guess it’s more about different people being in charge of D3 development now?

Instead I would ask what about this program “should” be included in the game?
I think the second that you are seeing info not available then you have stepped into the “gray” realm.
For example I know Macro’s are banned, it seems that adding a feature to keybind a sequence of skills could be included in the game IF they agree it’s a QoL feature.
I personally think it is much more about having a level field rather than any specific feature.

The thing is couldn’t be used means it doesn’t work so you can’t use it, but it does work and even if Blizzard changed things so that Thud couldn’t be used the Thud maker will just change the coding in a couple of days to get it working again
and you are back at square 1 with having Thud working again
That’s why he says it shouldn’t be used

1 Like

Prior to blizzard forum wipe and update there was a blue post stating THud “was currently not bannable, but that could change in the future so use at your own risk”

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree. Call me Joe since that’s me. Turbohud’s primary goal is to enhance the game play for casual non-competing players like myself. I don’t care about ladders and never have. Look at my profile. I play when I can find the time and haven’t played in years before picking it up again this season. This game is not a competitive game at its core and I hate that it’s being turned into one. I play for fun and my own enjoyment. I don’t know or play with anyone who does play for the competition but I’m 45 and play with a different sort of gamer I guess.

What THUD does for players such as myself, is allow us to get into the theory-crafting and meta without having to spend hours and hours testing and trial and error. Basically it opens up the game to where someone can log in for only 2 hours on a free night and jump right in and be able to mess with builds on a level they couldn’t before if that makes sense. For me it’s an in-game DPS calculator and inventory sorter with awesome stats keeping that quantifies my progression in a way that as a casual player just wouldn’t have the experience to see. I don’t think of it as cheating but I understand how people using it to get ahead on the boards would be seen as such.

Personally I think a blanket ban would do more harm than good and kill off a ton of non-competing players. They should have banned it a long time ago and for those saying that they have never acknowledged it by name that is very wrong. They have before and more than once. This was years ago but they did and were not banning and haven’t so far and the previous statements weren’t much different. I may be wrong, but I swear they said flat out that they were not going to ban but that that could change in the future.

All I ask is that they give warning that it is coming so people can make a choice to stop playing or quit using it or better yet, ask the dev to remove any objectionable modules and allow it.

(Wanted to offer another POV so hope I don’t get banned for admitting that I have used it. :slight_smile:)

1 Like

I was always for making the game more casual friendly, accessible to new players and Math-independent. Those who follow my posting know this. At the same time I am for making it as competitive as possible. Those two don’t go against each other when the design is proper. There are ways to properly separate the competition from the fun, so that casual players don’t miss on anything except the competing itself.

What you wrote about TH is great. I never installed the addon, believe it or not, so I have no idea of its exact features, but from what I know from other players is that there are indeed usable features as you said.

I am absolutely for reducing Math as much as possible in an aRPG and if that addon gives you such opportunity this design has to become part of the core game. Complex Math is bad for the aRPG genre. It drives players away from the genre and serves for nothing useful.

It has to become or it will disappear, just as any other game. That is a core principle in game design - meaningful games are fun, competitive or both. Eventually games that are only fun simply stop to be played since fun in itself has a reachable limit and when you as a player reach that limit you simply move to another game. The meaningful competition however doesn’t have such limit in most cases.

While Diablo 3 hasn’t been designed with the idea to be an e-Sport this doesn’t mean it shouldn’t go in the direction of becoming more competitive game in order to survive. TH, botting, cheating are aspects that go against the fair competition and as such has to be isolated from the competition, since when a game doesn’t have a fair competition it has no competition at all.

P.S. Welcome to the forum, Snootch!

Your very ambiguous stance regarding tools such as TurboHUD or macros** leads to great injustice: some players do not use any of this because they want to respect the rules or simply because they are afraid that their accounts will be closed, and they are clearly playing at a disadvantage against other players If you are not willing to enforce certain TOS conditions you should consider eliminating them.

** Since the last change in the wizard everyone is using it to obtain good results, you are currently admitting its use because the other alternatives have a great burden with the area damage and you are unable to recognize it.

Thud goes against the ToS, this is hilarious!
It has always been bannable

3 Likes

I would like to see the link to this quote. have a pretty good memory and I can not recall any comment like this.

1 Like

Neither can I. Blizzard has NEVER said that Thud was not banable. Old forums are still read only and searchable so said person is free to prove me wrong though.

I don’t remember thud getting a pass either.

I have always felt even before ROS, it was a don’t ask don’t tell situation.

I do know for a fact though that mvps at one time or another were using it to discover mechanic or confirm mechanic bugs.

Some of this information was passed on to blues.

I don’t want this to be some mission impossible thing where a bunch of players get disavowed and banned over this tool/cheat.

They should get fair warning, reasonable time to remove/uninstall, if a ban hammer is planned for its use.

I don’t remember that. Most MVPs are above board and don’t want to risk a ban. We don’t have to be perfect but we are supposed to set a good example. Now, when it comes to exploits and stuff some streamers and MVPs have directly reported stuff they found to Blizz before it goes to the wild. Helps Blizz fix it early.

I have mixed feelings. People should not break the rules, but given how many years it went on, a full on account ban seems a bit harsh, even though the rules say that is an option.

I have no say in it, but I would prob do suspensions vs outright bans for the first offense detected. That serves as a warning. Further use would be the usual ban? I guess?

Bots on the other hand I have no mercy for at all. Ban them all! :hammer::hammer::fire::fire:

I understand miss cheetah, but unless the mvps were lying to me in pm or on vent/TeamSpeak at the time. The information I got relative to class mvps or mechanics people some were using thud and passing game related bug information to the blues.

When I was running t6legit, p800, and exp grifts, I had access to a lot of information.

Technically, what I have is hearsay. So I don’t blame you for taking it as you do.

Suspensions are reasonable. I just don’t think a permanent ban out of the blue should occur for use that occurred in the past.

AHHHH ok, Class MVPs. They were a really highly skilled group that really cared about the balance and theorycrafting details. I did not know any personally, but take you at your word if they said they did that. Testing something (maybe on an alt account?) though, does not = playing the main game that way. Keep that in mind.

I agree with that re THUD but bots can all be melted down into tiny robot bits!