Trust level importance

Go to your Activity page and just after your btag number replace it with .json

That opens the json file for your profile and gives you lots of info, including your trust level.

Scroll down the page to the groups section to see what groups are you are part of. The highest one is your trust level.

You are trust level 1 right now. Also, any personal information you see on your json file can only be viewed by you (and prob Blizzard). None of us can see the info about your session tokens or location.

1 Like

I was worrying this. Thanks for clarification.

Yeah, folks on the WoW forums especially freaked out about it until it was proven they could not see other peopleā€™s session auth token info. Just view my json file and you will see the session token stuff does not show up for you :slight_smile:

People are right to be concerned though which is why I make sure to mention it! Nobody should panic or worry.

Definitely changed since my last post of a few years ago! Trust level 3 will be hard for me to achieve (no big deal though) I think once I posted a link to my sword and shield collection as I painted my D3 banner on the shield. Otherwise it will not matter much as Iā€™m just killin time waiting for D4 (or whatever).

Not important at all,actually I have a hard time understanding why such thing is needed on a FORUM.

Maybe Iā€™m old school but all I want to do on a forum is to discuss stuff related to the same thing we are interested in like the same Game in this case.
I donā€™t need nor care about whatever ranks or benefits,this is just beyond me but ye probably its just me.:neutral_face:

Felt the same way when I first tried out Discord and saw all these levels and whatnot,and I was wondering why the hell would I want that when I just want to chat with pplā€¦

Couldnā€™t. You couldnā€™t care less. Why is it so hard for people to get this correct? You are saying the opposite of what you think you are.

2 Likes

Word crimes!
-Weird Al Yankovic

Perhaps you should just accept that idioms donā€™t always make senseā€¦
https://slate.com/human-interest/2014/03/why-i-could-care-less-is-not-as-irrational-or-ungrammatical-as-you-might-think.html

Slateā€¦LOL!

Pandering to the lowest common denominator. AKA people who are stupid, uneducated, or looking to feed their confirmation bias instead of learning something.

1 Like

The Slate article just happened to be the first result I found when Googling the term but if youā€™d prefer dictionary sites, how aboutā€¦
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/could-couldnt-care-less
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/couldnt-care-less
https://www.dictionary.com/e/could-care-less/

1 Like

Forum user count will likely be included in the bnet user count so Blizzard can give an exaggerated user report to their shareholders. As far as trust goes, make sure what you write will not make a feminist cry, nor a soyboy.

1 Like

@Endugu:
You might want be careful using derogatory terms and pejoratives in this new forum space.

@MissCheetah:
As always lots of hugs and cheers coming from me (no emojis).

Thank you for pointing out that .json URL suffix. Even though the auth_tokens arenā€™t in the .json file for other users, the file itself still contains way too much information. Iā€™m sure the old forum system employed similar data for its normal function, but the current forum system is too data heavy. Iā€™m sure some network and security pros at Blizz have gone through the system to ensure its safety and security but trust me when I say that the exposed JSON file is like a camp fire to the moth hackers and want-to-be hackers.

I would much rather see some of the flashy functionality removed/disabled and we have just the same level of access from the old forums than to invite potential chaos. They really need to keep the forums clean and lean, and severely limit the attack surface of the site. Iā€™m speaking up because Blizzard has been hacked before and I would rather, we the player community, not have to contend with yet another data/privacy exposure. Even with a scaled back, clean and lean forum site, data thieves will target Blizz sites because of the public perception of the company.

2 Likes

Why is it so hard?

Well, I could care less.

1 Like

Missing the point. The phrase should be used as couldnā€™t care less if one really doesnā€™t care at all. Just because people have been saying it wrong for a long time doesnā€™t make it all of a sudden correct. Thatā€™s why we have trash like urban dictionary.

1 Like

No, you are. If youā€™d read any of the articles, explaining the idiom, youā€™d see that itā€™s far from exceptional in terms of where the meaning of the idiom is exactly the opposite of what it says. Heck, it even compares it to a number of Yiddish equivalents that are in common English usage.

Short versionā€¦ ā€œI could care lessā€ always means ā€œI couldnā€™t care lessā€.

No article required to know whatā€™s right and whatā€™s not. You can spin it all you want. Yes, thatā€™s what I really mean. No need to look it up or go to the urban dictionary.

But weā€™ve digressed too much from the OP for the grammar police.

Back on topic!

Means not a thing to me.

I think Iā€™m in that middle group of people that just donā€™t care. On the opposing ends of that spectrum are two other kinds of people.

The first kind of person thatā€™s going to actively seek a Trust Level 3 is that person who wants to be able to offer useful information, and support for opinions, with the additional information display options available to that level.
These guys are okay.

The second kind of person thatā€™s going to actively seek a Trust Level 3 is that person who wants to post links to outside content that is frivolous or inflammatory.
These guys are the trolls.

My belief is that the trolls will achieve a Trust Level 3 long before the people who truly want to be helpful. On the on the bright side though, we now have yet another meaningless leaderboard to shoot for.

Nah, most of the helpful ones like guide writers and New player/bug/tech/general gameplay support got manual TL3 upgrades the first week. I did too as well as the other CS/TS MVPs.

If there is anyone critical who was missed, tell me. Just add me on Bnet and let me know who/why. I canā€™t make promises and have to make one heck of a case to Blizzard across many teams and mgt, but I can try.

Nevertheless, itā€™s a lazy and poor use of English despite the fact that we are expected to know and use the supposed meaning of the perverted phrase. Laziness of speech has given rise to common misunderstandings that often negatively affect intrapersonal and interpersonal relationships.

Francis Bacon wrote about this in his dissertation on The Four Idols of the mind (obstacles to accurate perception and communication), which, if memory serves, appeared in Baconā€™s Aphorism XXIII of the First Book (1901); to wit:

But the Idols of the Market Place are the most troublesome of all ā€” idols which have crept into the understanding through the alliances of words and names. For men believe that their reason governs words; but it is also true that words react on the understanding; and this it is that has rendered philosophy and the sciences sophistical and inactive. Now words, being commonly framed and applied according to the capacity of the vulgar*, follow those lines of division which are most obvious to the vulgar understanding. And whenever an understanding of greater acuteness or a more diligent observation would alter those lines to suit the true divisions of nature, words stand in the way and resist the change. Whence it comes to pass that the high and formal discussions of learned men end oftentimes in disputes about words and names; with which (according to the use and wisdom of the mathematicians) it would be more prudent to begin, and so by means of definitions reduce them to order. Yet even definitions cannot cure this evil in dealing with natural and material things, since the definitions themselves consist of words, and those words beget others. So that it is necessary to recur to individual instances, and those in due series and order, as I shall say presently when I come to the method and scheme for the formation of notions and axioms.

The idols imposed by words on the understanding are of two kinds. They are either names of things which do not exist (for as there are things left unnamed through lack of observation, so likewise are there names which result from fantastic suppositions and to which nothing in reality corresponds), or they are names of things which exist, but yet confused and ill-defined, and hastily and irregularly derived from realities. Of the former kind are Fortune, the Prime Mover, Planetary Orbits, Element of Fire, and like fictions which owe their origin to false and idle theories. And this class of idols is more easily expelled, because to get rid of them it is only necessary that all theories should be steadily rejected and dismissed as obsolete.

You might have to read this a few times in order to fully understand it, because in the late 1800s and early 1900s the writings of philosophers and other learned men (mostly men from the continents of England, Italy, and France) achieved a level of accuracy of expression seldom found but in academic environments.

The bottom line is this; regardless of what you believe the idiom (not Axiom) to truly stand for, the phrase, ā€œI could care less,ā€ means that the person cares at least a little bit, and that there is, indeed, the possibility to be even less concerned and interested. On the other hand, the phrase, ā€œI couldnā€™t care less,ā€ means that the person is utterly uninterested and unconcerned about that which is at hand.

*commoners or laymen; the uneducated, or those educated only to an average level

1 Like

For me personally, I wonā€™t need anything beyond TL2. Once they sort out their trusted domains.

While I probably could make guides and such, there are people with greater knowledge (and time on their hands) already doing this.

1 Like