[Theory] Auction House in RoS

Someone finds an awesome item. Instead of introducing it to the economy via gold or other-item trade, they sell it for a fat stack of cash.

It doesn’t matter if this process happens once or dozens of times, the moment real world money can even enter the equation, you screw your in-game economy. You have not solved the problem that has been plaguing online games for decades now, and it will never really be solved when the spirit of any suggestion allows circumventing actual game play.

How? No direct exchange in this theory as it was in classic.
Step by step: one finds an awesome item. Next step?

Players created such problem whether you want it or not - no AH, they use bots. Blizzard can’t solve this problem or may be they just do not want to do this - they allow players to play with bots, players buy time by time D3+RoS. Something like membership fee in D3 like in WoW. I suggested to do this more legally and in more traditional way (by selling one more addon and to have the commision from the operations with real money).

Sub fees deter nothing. Hell, people pay sub fees to run bots. They do so because they personally find it profitable. RMT is an issue far more pervasive than you give it credit, while Blizzard being lax on rule enforcement in D3 does nothing to justify other rule violations or tolerances thereof.

Like it or not, D2-style trade is not required to actually make a fun and enjoyable game. Nuanced rule-mongering to try to “make it work” still does not solve the ultimate problem of legitimate players very rarely controlling the economy. The cheaters will have more rare items. The cheaters will tank the value of more common loot to push people into their service for the rarer goods. It’s a cycle that has repeated over and over and over across many games, to the point where the most equitable solution has been BoA systems requiring specific content participation that ideally isn’t easily automated and/or merc’d.

And yes, RMT exists beyond Chinese sweatshops. Account selling, sharing, and theft are also still ongoing concerns. Some people still stupidly visit malware laden sites, trust spoof GM messages, or think they’ve found some kind of trick to cut corners. It’s one thing to try and compensate for player error, but another to encourage such predatory tactics by believing you can do nothing about anything or that something maybe isn’t that big a deal.

They do so because they want to play how they want and real money that they spend for this is not problem for them.
While ones cry “no pay 2 win” or “Blizzard, ban the bots”, these gamers play as they wish and Blizzard can do nothing with them.
In the case of AH they do not need to use bots just because they can buy all things they want without using bots.

I ask you again: how can one to take rare items and how can one to redistribute them according to the limitations of this theory?
I saw arguments like you wrote many times and I saw never the schemes of realization of such things with such theory I wrote in this thread.

These features there are now and without AH. Google in help.
But the price of such things is too big, so players prefer to use bots by themself instead of using such sites.

I do not accept NEED; I consider WANT more appropriate. I do not want an AH, by the way.

Very amusing to comment this now - when D4 has trade (and on the forum there are threads “we do not buy D4 without trade”). :smile:

One more suggestion of one my opponent from my sub-forum (which shy to place it by himself): to make AH (ideal version of it, of course, from this thread) as buff of the new season with compulsory wipe of all taked items at the end of season (i.e. wipe like on PTR) instead of transfer all of them into non-season (I need to note - this idea and especially part about wipe are NOT my ideas) to view the collapse (his words, not my) of this idea (AH).

P.S.: I suggested him to bet on $100: if he will right - I will pay this amount of money to him, if I (no collapse at all) - he will pay this amount of money to me. As you can see, he even can’t create the post with such his idea here, so I did this by myself. :wink:

How is that amuzing? I’m not against trading as a concept. It does however come with a lot of negative aspects and needs to be limited (as it will be in D4) and AH is by far the worst idea. Keep in mind that it doesn’t mattter how the AH is implemented, what currency it and other such things, all valuable items will be sold for real money outside the AH regardless.

AH is by far the best idea if you want to have trading at all in the game.
Not searching through forums, wasting time contacting strangers, all that.

Unless items can be traded only through AH of course.

But yeah, no trading at all is best. As currently in D3.

1 Like

AH is pointless is already too easy to equip a character, you have cube and cadala and a lot of leg drops on rift and GR

Yeah no need for in in 3. I would be in favor of one in 4 if for anything to make trading easier.

Yeah. Only through AH (no direct exchange as it was in classic) and only 1 time (as in D4 now).
To do not allow to sell anything outside AH and to do not allow to spent the time on AH for search of top items for low price and reselling them by “true” price (i.e. the main reason of devs against AH).

AH in this thread is the same as trade in D4 with additional limitations:

and without additional limitations of trade in D4 (that can’t allow to sell top items hence it is useless at all).
Moreover, AH is the only possible way to provide the simultaneous interaction of millions players avoiding one to one interaction of them which do not like even players of PoE and which is the hole for this:

and so:

Further:

Exactly for this purpose AH suggested here as optional feature - addon + additional checkbox for the ratings which hide all players that use AH from them by pressing of it. In the classic there was possibility to play without AH but there were no distinctions between ones that used AH and ones that did not use it.

No problems: just do not buy AH-addon, play without it. :wink:

1 Like

Credit card warriors at it again lol

1 Like

Agreed, they tried it before and it doesn’t work out in the long run. More so when real money is involved. There is just too much hassle for such a thing to work.

Please come back the gold farmers and your 24/7 botting

Also noticed you have said nothing about the biggest negative side of the AH
The 24/7 botting of your account so you can sell items
All you are going to do is to increase the botting in game, it’s not like most of the people selling when the AHs were around weren’t botting and even if you do get banned you can easily buy another 5 accounts, gold farm to make a profit and to pay for the 5 games and go straight back to botting 24/7

the point is to avoid credit card warriors

D3 is ok, without AH
adding one is just unneeded catering to the players that already finish every season within a week.
-don’t add an AH and trading at all, it seems best.

Ah was a filler in Vanilla you got bored playing, you could look in ah to kill time. The amount of legs that drop now its pointless. Lets hope they have some sort of idea on economy in D4 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You both forgot about one simple fact - it is RoS, it is not classic. Now there are rankings and fishing of the rifts for them. Now there are bots which farm paragon. Gear now (even top-gear) is the smallest (insignificant) part of the rankings. Hence now there are no pay2win at all (even with AH). Even in classic these “credit warriors” were just clowns in the most cases (with 0 skill). Now, in RoS, no AH, but still there is the way for pro-players to spent their money - on bots and on the new accounts of D3-RoS.
Just open your eyes. And yes - in D4 there is trade.

They are already here. If you do not know about this. :wink:

This feature there is and now. Devs must fight with them. To hold their EULA.
And yes - as I already said (see above): you forgot again that it is RoS, not classic (so there is big difference for the gear and its profit between these 2 games).

At first, such bots and their users do not affect rankings at all.
At second, they can do this (and do this now) if they see that they can make profit > cost of D3-RoS-AH-addon. Anyway, it is additional profit for Blizzard.
At third, you skipped such moment in this thread:

Solution against the third type of botters.
And also it is solution against anyone player that want to sold anything for real money.
One more quote:

And one more my additional suggestion to solve problem with bots once and for all by the simplest way:

Users can still use bots, but they do not affect rankings at all.

Exactly, for this purpose there is such way:

“Your Credit Warriors” are in the another rankings than yourself (who do not want to use AH). Moreover, you can show for them that they do not have skill (as it was classic) at all if you will be upper than they in the original rankings. Hence, no problems at all.

For this purpose there is such item:

for ones who lived season after completing SJ.

Exactly.

If you think that having GG gear won’t help get you to the tops of the leader boards then I think you are putting too much into paragons. Gear is what makes the build. There is no way that paragons are the end all be all of the rankings.

The proof is in the pudding as the phrase goes. I have seen those on the leader boards with lower paragons but ranked higher than those with paragons higher than them, I have seen the difference of around 1,000 paragon. So paragon isn’t all what it is cracked up to be.

Want more proof just removed the gear and see if you are still gonna do in the millions of dps with paragon alone.

I checked all of my posts in this thread and I haven’t said anything about P2W. That is for threads that are talking about free trade and it is for D4 not D3.

As long as there is no AH D4 will be fine. Get over it already Blizz has done the AH for Diablo 3 and won’t be doing it again for D3 or D4.

You are not gonna sell gold for real money. Along with gold being super easy to get. Add to it, spending it wisely and you won’t ever have to worry about gold.

Yeah they surely do, they bot to get all kinds of things such as gear, paragon, crafting mats, keys, etc… The repetitive and boring things that players don’t want to do or don’t have the time for it. Then when they get to playing the game they use all the things that their faithful bot got them for things like reforging legendaries to get the best rolled gear. Paragons will give them extra power on top of the well rolled gear.

Bots time is coming as Blizz has said in a thread on THud users.

With the existence of trade even in your idea there will still have to be changes to the drop rates without that even the really top tiered gear would sell for pennies in less than a month with current drop rates. So finding gear would be much harder than it is now.

You are just wanting the AHs back so players that want to bot to get gold and gear to sell for real money can do so. Get over it already Blizz won’t go back to the AHs days at all.

True but they were also here botting for equipment to sell when it was just the AHs and if you bring back trading they will just add that bit back into the bot if it was ever removed, so instead of just farming for items for the AH like they did originally and changed it for xp and key farming and bounties for the LB and you think the bot makers can’t make a bot that does both

So you think that botting for top end equipment and paragons isn’t going to affect rankings, if that was anywhere near true why are people complaining about bots according to you they have no affect on the LB, which everyone but you knows is false

And you obviously not here during D3V because the bot’s back then were specifically made to collect items to sell on the AH