[Theory] Auction House in RoS

imo an AH could have worked in D3 from the beginning if certain items were not tradeable at all, some items could only be sold 2-3 times and others could be traded indefinitely. That way you still had to farm for the best items in the game.

Your suggestion includes the idea that legendaries can only be sold once, but that does not go far enough imo.

Make it so that ancient and primal legendaries and sets can not be traded at all. That means you can only trade non ancient items.

The AH was initially designed for players to catch up so to speak if they did not find the legendary they were looking for even when they farmed for it, but not to get the best items in the game without actually playing the game.

If ancient items could not be traded, players could still get a boost if they didn’t get their Yang’s Recurve or whatever to have their build together, but they couldn’t just get the best version of it and so they still had to play.

Add that ancients and primals could not be put on the AH and I would support your idea.

…you have much to learn about precisely what was wrong with the AH…

2 Likes

Let me put it like this:

If it were possible to downvote a post I’d not only downvote you, OP. I’d spend the next 2 hours making more accounts to downvote you even more and then spend my remaining lifetime finding a way to pass a message to my past self to downvote you before I could do it myself originally so it would create a time paradox of downvoting you.

That’s how much I hate you, the concept of the auction house and monetization in a full price title.

2 Likes

I can’t believe someone wasted their time to write this article. Furthermore i can’t believe i wasted my time reading it :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

In one simple word.

No.

With legendaries that fall out of the sky like rain non ancients are easy to come by just playing the game. Doing the normal rifts, GRs, upgrading rares, etc… all of it makes it easy to get non ancient legendaries.

1 Like

Trading was one of my favorite things in Diablo 2, so I would be happy to see trading return to the franchise at some point (And no, giving an item to someone in your game is charity, not trading).

I think extensive precautions would need to be taken to make sure that (A) Blizzard didn’t have any conflicts of interests with trading, and (B) players couldn’t simply buy a fully geared player. I would propose something like the following:

-No Real Money Auction House
-No trading of primals
-Items can only be traded once
-Characters can only equip up to X (maybe 3?) items that they didn’t find. This would leave them with over 10 slots they need to fill with items they found themselves.

The biggest risk with trading in the AH is that a single currency has to be used. If a currency becomes tradable, then it can be farmed and sold on third party sites. I would support a system that only allowed the trading of actual items.

In my idealized version of what D3 could have been, BiS items (in this case a Yang’s) would not even be abe to be traded at all, ancients would not exist and of course the drop rare would be significantly lower.

If for some reason the AH would be brought back into the current D3, then ancients shouldn’t be able to be traded there. That is the least thing that should be done if that happens. On top of that drops rates could get adjusted (and you are right, they should get adjusted) but that would require probably more effort than putting the AH files back into the game.

Not even close. They explained exactly why they designed it when they revealed it way back in 2011 I believe it was. They said they reason they incorporated an AH was because there was a demand for it (given that people were buying items from 3rd parties). In fact, you can read about the event the held for the press here:

diablofans com/news/46971-diablo-3-press-event-visit

Of course, there all sorts of consequences for implementing an AH which they either didn’t consider or simply didn’t care about in the face of copying Valve’s model which was proving to be a gold mine. I wonder if they even asked themselves why people were buying items in the first place.

People bought items because the drop rate was garbage. For most of the game, high runes were so rare, one could easily play for a decade and never see one, let alone collect enough for a dupeword like Enigma. The best way to get way to get items was mind-numbing runs such as meph and pindleskin, at which point you might as well be a robot. Thus people either actually ran a bot, eventually bought items, or gave up caring about having the best items.

The best solution for an Auction House is to not need one in the first place.

Not really different than the current system. However when you allow player to player trading, there will be real money trading regardless of what your ideals are. Why do you think people use digitized payment systems globally? Only for sending their daughter or son, some loan money?

I doubt you can fiddle with drop rates or item quality after this point. Not only high grade key items but some low end items should be locked as those can be abused as tokens in trades.
Don’t want people to trade Ancient or Primals? As I know only lvl70 items are capable of appearing as Ancient or Primal; this means you ought to create another item classment for trading and make them level capped lower than lvl70.

People would be mad if you offer to take away their Ancient or Primals just because it’s “only fair”. When you don’t touch the legacy players’ primals to renew the loot system to not hand out Ancients anymore, that would make people question the balance and this requires an overall stat bloat to put everyone in square one. As a result you’ll break the power progression on the game.
That’s a huge regression in the system at the terms of power growth and not everone would be willing to do that.

I know what you mean, but they thought they designed the AH in a way that you only would use it from time to time to get items that you didn’t get even after a long time of farming for it.

You mean in the way D3 does it currently?

I know.
I was merely talking from a perspective of what could have been.

Nope. Not having an AH is not the same and not needing one.

Since gear makes the build instead of the player’s choices by spending points. Then add on top of it there are no alternatives to BiS gear that would be able to get the job done. Both have painted the devs of this game into a corner. They either hand us the gear by making it fall like rain or make it so hard that it would take an extremely long time to be able to play the build that you want at the level you want to play it at. That will not sell well with those that like playing this game. Put alternatives to BiS gear that is easier to find then you will have something. Alternatives that would help us be clear GRs that wouldn’t be too much lower than what we can do now with BiS gear.

1 Like

Maybe you wanna elaborate. How would the game be designed in this specific regards so that an AH (or do you talk about trading in general ???) would not be needed?

I personally would be okay with an AH (for example in D4) if the best items and those item that are near the powerlevel of BiS items would not be able to be traded. That basically solves all the issues the AH has.

I agree with that. Itemization should more be like walking up a stair where you can take many steps until you reached the end instead of just one or two gigantic step where it is basically all or nothing like it currently is in D3.

I never had any issue with AH, except for low droprates and crappy rolls in game.

I never was a top player. I never will. It was never my goal.

Now with all the legendaries dropping all around me, rerolls, kadala, I do not see any reason for ah.

Just play the game for a bit and you’ll get the items you need (usually).

That said, I don’t mind having an ah.
It was a good and daring thing.
I might use it even.

I am against any form of pay 2 win.
Having a rmah or lootboxes, could create an incentive to lower droprates or make crappy rolls more likely.

When you can obtain the items by playing the game easily, I have no objections to rmah.

I choose to play the game. I have no issues others wanting to spent money or game gold to obtain stuff.

I would like account bound to be removed in almost all cases though. It serves no purpose (anymore)…

Obtaining a well rolled primal should be made easier though.

If it is easy and quick to obtain the best items by playing the game, regardless of there being an AH of whatever form or not, you take away one of the long term motivations to play the game.

This sense of progression, not just via skill points, attribute points or passive skill points, but also with via getting better items is one large factor of what keeps people to play the game.

To all, who do not read the first post (only 2 words in the header):

This is the main distinction (in addition to items for fixing all negative sides of original AH) with the other suggestions about AH.

Anyone who do not like AH (“pay to win” and so on) can play exactly in the same way as now - he/she needs just to do not buy AH-addon.

If such people want to have more accurate distinction from players which will buy AH-addon, they can ask Blizzard about additional checkbox for the ratings - “Show only players that did not buy AH-addon”. In such case they can continue to compete with bots as now. :wink:

Blizzard’s official stance…

But we have all agreed that despite the convenience of trading, the AH affected gameplay and undermined the epic feeling of being a hero, killing monsters and looting their stuff; and when something gets in the way of fun in a Blizzard game, it simply has to go. So, if you honestly miss the AH, (a) please remember how non-epic it felt to search through the AH for hours, not killing monsters and (b), be assured that it is not coming back.

4 Likes