The New Gears of Dreadlands Set

Nice one, i could like it, even as a joke mechanic :joy:

No one knows the interaction yet. If the auto-fire primaries count as strafe projectiles (does it stack multipliers like M4. If it does, Vallas and Kmar hard to beat), what buffs what, double dipping, things like that.

I expect this to be broken af the first week of PTR, and I can’t wait to enjoy it while it lasts!

my tests dont need the new set. Currently Buriza has no effect on the maximum numbers of pierces.

They really should add Rapid Fire to GoD4 as well. Why not fork the possibilities and double the build combinations? Who cares if LoD already uses RF? Grenades are the obvious win with GoD anyways, so why limit playstyle?

Yeah it only guarantees the first 2 as i recall.

1 Like

I made some small changes to the list.

Sharp Shooter buff stays active for like 2 seconds, so in the first place it felt like it could be snapshotted, but that is not the case.
HOWEVER, i think a timed cold rotation with DA and sharpshooter can be an interesting interaction.
But single out should be enough and would perform way better.

I really thought Buriza was the reason for the 5 pierces and that the general pierce amount is 3… always check your own work i guess. xD

With the new quiver basically guaranteeing 4 pierces = 5 hits, Buriza can be ignored for Hungering Arrow, that’s for sure.

This opens the slot for another weapon slot for my visions.

@dkmt
Now i know it better^^

Wasn’t the damage of HPS increased by both 100% and increased again by x2 by adding 2 additional knives?

Wouldn’t that be bigger than a ~4GR boost to Imaple?

2 additional knives to 1 would be 3, making it a x3 multiplier. But this change isn’t new, it is in game for a while now.

The 100% damage boost will be new, making it 2x stronger.

How would you manage that? Your follower and pet (if you opt for one) will reset sharpshooter, as followers do have innate chc regardless of what you gear them with.

You’d have to stop attacking completely, with no strafe thus no toughness bonus to walk around with in hopes of stacking enough chc from sharpshooter to be worth it, which also risk you losing your momentum stacks. Not sure how this would be worth it.

Why would you want to use RF over strafe with 4pc? Like strafe, it would be dealing no damage at all. Strafe is at least mobile and works along with momentum speed stacks. What would you gain by slotting RF if it worked? I’m so confused lol.

Also, I’m not sure why most believe grenades is the “obvious” choice. Looking at the bonus all around and possible slot combinations, I think the devs did a good job in making sure that Grenades isn’t the obvious choice. Out of the 3 most likely candidates to build around (HA, BS, Grenades), Grenades is the one that has to make some pretty big sacrifices as it can’t slot all of the juicy buffs the others can. This, along with RNG, IMO where it starts to balance out.

It’s wording is still vague, but there is reason to believe it would guarantee max pierce. I’m hoping the idea is for us not to be pigeon holed into using buriza. That would be very nice.

3 Likes

I am really happy that the made a “generator set” without the (obvious) need of Grenades and Hellcat. I am curious how playing the set will feel. Bola could be really fun with the huge crowd control effect.

Another thing that could be interesting is whether we do need Dawn (for toughness?) or whether we can actually use 2 generators (ES for a straight buff, or a Bola-HA combination?). A second (and competetive) build without perma Vengeance would be nice.

But it all depends on how the set bonuses actually work. Right now, we can only speculate …

1 Like

Because it gives a different avenue to explore, and that’s never bad. Especially if GoD4 buffs Primaries like M4 sentries buff Spenders.

I plan on checking in on your stream tonight, actually. There is a broken combo no one is talking about, and it may go something like:

A Bolo DH, a HungerArrow DH, and an EntShot DH all vault together through the door of an Inn, the barkeep looks up and asks, “Table for six?”

1 Like

Yes, that would be awesome! Strafe caps out at 4 fpa, at 3.00 sheet aps. (Though I think hitting this 3.00 mark is only possible with AS in some extra places, like belt, bracer, amulet, or helm. The 5 fpa Strafe you get at 2.50 sheet aps is very doable, though).

Good question about where the aim goes. I guess if dmkt’s speculation about the set just shooting primary projectiles, rather than Strafe projectiles, is correct, they’d just shoot where Strafe shoots now, i.e. at your closest target, yes? Or even if it shoots both Strafe and primary projectiles, that’s probably still true.

I wouldn’t assume no AD proc. There’s all sorts of screwy mechanics in this game that are exceptions to rules. For instance, with Barb, Earthquakes caused by MOTE 4 and Blade of the Tribes “shouldn’t” proc AD, but they do. Same with the chain effect of Bastion’s Revered. It “shouldn’t” proc AD or Bloodshed, but it does. Obviously, we’ll have to wait and see, but my gut reaction is that you will get AD procs.

Lordy, yeah, it is really confusing. In terms of duration, I read it as adding 2 seconds to the total duration with each shot, capping at 10 total, and refreshing all stacks. If it weren’t refreshing all stacks, then what would “a maximum duration of 10 seconds” even mean? Because the maximum duration in that case would be 2 seconds.

But I think that also means the damage bonus must be capped. Because otherwise you could pile up hundreds or even thousands of momentum stacks and just keep refreshing all of them to the 10 second duration. So unfortunately I do think you’re going to get the “dull garbage” of a self-additive 50% damage bonus, multiplicative with other sources. I guess we’ll find out next week!

3 Likes

Hum … what do you think “Fortress Ballista” + “Squirt’s Necklace” as a option?

1 Like

I put my bet on “The primary attack is aimed to the currently focussed enemy. If there is none (as in ‘we are just strafing around’), no primary attack is triggered”.

Otherwise the wording “Casting Strafe against enemies” would make no sense.

Casting bolas at somewhat random enemies with the new Leonine Bow of Hashir while strafing would probably really annoying. So it’s not neccessarily a bad design choice, imho.

Maybe another attack does refresh all stacks, unless the maximum duration of “a stack” has been reached. In that case, the oldest stack is removed, and another “fresh one” is added. Or something like that.

SoJ ring seems like it was changed specially for this set. If your ment to use double gen since both will be equally buffed by 6pc. Element stacking won’t be as important. Just get as much single target element as possible.

What im more interested in is the amount of hatred that strafe spends. I keep hearing people compare it to WW. I just don’t see this as a going down right click and win set. And I have always disliked the primary skill weaving in strafe to keep up resources. Although I’ll I love the strafe skill animation. I personally was hoping for a weapon set that works like bulkathos for dh in form of xbows.

But your gem choices seem to already be predetermined solo with stricken trapped and that pink gem that does generator damage monks used back in day. I just don’t see any other gem combo being worth. For t16 drop stricken for boon.

Assuming basic 6pcs I don’t see a way to get enough multipliers without having to sacrifice a cube slot for rrog. And as said earlier cc3 isn’t really able to be slotted in without losing out on gunes depth diggers or hunters wrath. Then there is the good old dawn question mark.

I’m intrigued enough to give it a shot but not going to get my hopes up to high. I just hope it’s better then the Hydra set nightmare.

1 Like

One thing that’s for certain is that the current iteration of this set is going to be naturally glassy. We have many rather juicy multipliers that’s enticing to include in the build, giving you less to work with for toughness. If this set is meant to compete or be stronger than RF, then I can already see lots of complaints pouring in.

Lets look at UE currently on seasons. You have the 60% DR on the set, 50% from wraps, and at minimum, 64% from CC3 (with a maxed rcr yangs). We opt’d for CoE in cube because it’s a rather juicy damage bonus over the traditional gunes for the seasons buff. It is really glassy. Is it clearing higher? Yes, but you barely see any UE clears outside of the few that don’t mind being made of paper and/or grinded to nearly 4k paragon before deciding to push. Hell, I run with 67% RCR and still get one shotted by Man Carvers chains or Eskandiel’s Vortex in speed 105’s if im not paying attention.

Now take this new set, that’s aimed to clear many GR’s higher than what a seasonal UE can. What do we have? Same DR bonus as UE and Wraps, but you lose out on the toughness of CC3. It’s not feasible to go that route, especially without yangs.

How do we make up for that? Well, you can slot dawn and go for dark heart, which is 50%. In doing so, you give up one of the potential huge multipliers, but may be a necessary evil. Even so, with dawn, it will still be a bit glassier than seasonal UE.

What’s your next option now? Well, you can also slot elusive ring instead of dawn, which is 60%. This means you lose CoE. While better defensively than dawn, it’s still glassier than seasonal UE.

So what now? You can run both dawn and elusive ring! Finally more toughness than UE, and enough to take a couple hits maybe, but at what cost? With a bola centered build, you’d lose Odyssey and CoE. Grenades? You’re already losing depth diggers, but also buriza and CoE. HA centered build has it a little better, losing only CoE in this exchange given buriza (or valla’s bequest) isn’t necessary with the quiver buff. We do have the ability to run things like numbing traps, guardian turret, boar, FoN bladed armor, but you still need a decent foundation if you are one that would like to take some hits.

I know I rambled on quite a bit, but to summarize, this new set will have the glassiest builds of any set we have and It almost seems like it’s designed that way, using a rather continuous mobility from strafe and speed stacks to weave in and out of danger.

Trying to add DR in slots is no longer trading out small buffs like hexing pants, frost burns or mage fist etc, you’re trading out huge multipliers, at minimum 4+ GR’s worth for it. Just some thoughts.

3 Likes

The multipliers better be extra chunky to allow solo play with a defensive configuration, when you group gain 5GRs+ of power by cubing depth diggers and some passives…

Something tells me Strafe might have to work like Fist of Heavens in the AoV 4pc, a Spender turned Generator, and technically a Generator for the sake of Wraps of Clarity. Remember all of those complaints about Wrath management in the first iteration of AoV?

on second thought (third, fourth, fifth, hell i lost count), what if blizz throws a curve ball and the set doesn’t take up the standard slots?

It’s interesting that they would introduce that SoJ legendary affix at the same time they are wanting us to slot multiple generators that will have different elemental properties…

What if the new set has a ring?

2 Likes

Interesting idea, but that would imply that there is some kind of causality between the new set and the new SoJ. I think it’s just a correlation. The thoughts behind SoJ are probably related to LoN/LoD, where the usual ring sets are not allowed.

I don’t think that Blizz will introduce another set with the possibility to create hybrids. On the other hand … well, who knows? :bow_and_arrow:

2 Likes

Typically new the sets have been in standard slots. With this said, you’d be able to hybrid G4/N6, albeit not efficiently. The only other hybrid that could be useful if it’s not in standard slots is UE4, but since generator builds have so many pieces, you’ll most likely lose out more than you would gain, like G4/N6. You also can’t strafe with a melee weapon so S2 is out. If they were to throw a curve ball and change the slots, they’d still be able to hold up their philosophy.

I’m not necessarily implying that the SoJ was meant for the set itself, though the timing suggest that it may be there to take advantage of it given that it’s the only set you’d want to consider different elements. The synergy is there, but no one’s going to take it over F&R if the set is in standard slots. There aren’t many LoD/LoN builds that would benefit heavily from the SoJ change currently, but that could be different next season.

All in all, given how many legendary’s we need to pick up for this to work, it wouldn’t be far fetched if they considered other gear slots so that we can. Still all speculation.