The new Firebird Nerf

I find the lack of communication really frustrating. We’re just guessing that the current iteration does GR140 at high level, we don’t know what the devs had in mind when implementing the nerfs. A simple “we know the nerfs are huge, but it should be in-line with other top sets regardless” would have saved them a ton of grief.

Whatever. If we see a small FB buff, then great. I’ll take it.

1 Like

I might be wrong, but I don’t think Cratic is calling for DW to be nerfed and left as is, but rather have Deathwish’s multiplier reduced (or even better converted to channeling skills only), and having the loss power of the other skills that relied on deathwish made up by buffing their respective items/sets (or giving them items in the case of skills that lack legendary items). In short, it’s something that should’ve been done with etched sigil instead of the horrible route that they went with; where they completely converted the item to energy twister and left most of the other skills high and dry.

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Heh, maybe we just didn’t see the same things. :eyes:

It’s possible I could be confused; Lack of sleep and such, but I remember a few details:

I remember some of the clears with Mirror image non-legacy being replaced with quicker clears after players tried out the legacy version.

I remember peeking at seasonal PTR Leaderboards also; these were generally nonshielding MI builds that were clearing into the mid to high 140s at relatively low paragons (~2.5-3.5k).

Non shielding Mirror image with Deathwish was very prevalent as a non-legacy build.

Mirror image non legacy felt about 5GR stronger than Flame blades+EF in solo push. It was noticeable.

Granted, I did not push the Furnace Flame Blades variation, but I doubt that Furnace makes up more than 2GR over EF.

1 Like

Exactly Oblivion. Deathwish requires either a complete redesign or be decreased alongside a rebalance of sorts for other wizard builds.

I was wrong to suggest it this patch, because it doesn’t make as much sense to do one without the other. I guess I just forgot to voice this? I do that sometimes.

I wasn’t thinking about all the offmeta builds that currently use Deathwish and the interim in which players would have to subsist. My thoughts about DW here are mainly looking to the future. Perhaps I am thinking too far ahead.

Caution is definitely warranted. Hopefully when they examine in more detail they will have the data required to get the right numbers in place. :crossed_fingers:

I understand your point but I disagree with going down the path of constricting DW further. Sigil should not have been changed. Many Wizards wanted buffs to channeling spells to make them viable and an implicitly request for fun/innovative improvements. The devs could have just dumped items that raised the damage the individual spells or collectively, but that would have been a too simple and bland set of changes. Instead DW buffs channeling and all AP spenders that could be spawn from Sigil. So the devs addressed the explicit and the implicit requests. Thus there is no need to destroy DW, Sigil, or Mantle of Channeling.

The nerfs only happened because the tsunami of tears that crashed upon the shores of the forums and the few influential streamers calling for nerfs. These were fake tears because while crying about bazooka32 wiz, no one cried about Necro having 10 mobile star pact minions that they could maintain through the course of a GR. Only the Wiz sub community is actively trying to get buffs by offering a sacrificial lamb. DH’s, Necros, and Monks aren’t doing this. I bring the other classes up to highlight the massive flaw in the approach to getting buffs. Since they already nerfed DW, Sigil, and MoC to curb bazook32 Wiz, why aren’t you guys bending over backwards to call for nerfs to Necro and Necro items (ex: Shadow Hook, Nayr’s Black Death, Simulacrum, and Singularity Mage). This isn’t balancing its shuffling stuff around and maintaining the imbalances.

Ok so you if you are looking to get a balance pass across some/most/all Wiz sets, items, and possibly spells/runes, then just ask for that directly and be specific. Here are two examples:

• Please change DMO such that the 6p damage increase is triggered by having at least one active bubble and remove the requirement that monsters must be inside a bubble or under bubble effects to take increased damage.
  • Please add Electrocute to Mantle of Channeling and DeathWish (for fun and consistency reasons… points at Blood Rose, Death Nova, and Bloodtide Blade)

Lastly, I want to reiterate and bring attention to the following:

• Ages ago I spoke up against the Star Pact rune redesign during the PTR (in the Wiz and PTR feed back forums). It was a bad idea from a design stand point. Our damage junky brethren only cared about big damage numbers. They finally got their wish when bazooka32 was perfected and GR150 was conquered.
  • Wiz is the only class in the game with an audible meme as a weapon (Slorak’s) that should have been replaced in vanilla or at the start of RoS. An easy target for buffs/redesign.
  • We still don’t have APoC rolling as a secondary on Wiz equipment and functioning as a 100% proc chance on crit
1 Like

Hm.

My gut feeling for the figures on FB would be:

(2) piece: 5000% weapon damage as fire
(4) piece: 50 stacks
(6) piece: 6000% to fire damage

Something like that. This should be about a 4-5 GR nerf overall.

Now, as for Deathwish… I rather leave it as-is for now. That is, unless they also provide us with proper updates for stuff that legitimately depends on Deathwish because there is nothing else on the table… It’s true, that weapon is cancerous. But fixing this by simply nerfing the figures or removing it by making it channel only is not a good approach - at least if that’s the only thing they do and I can’t see them adding more (untested) stuff right now. Just nerfing Deathwish is and leave the rest to rot is essentially what happened with Etched Sigil and honestly, I absolutely don’t want an encore on that one.

3 Likes

That could have an unwanted side effect, any non fire damage would utterly gimped. I believe 4k % is ok but to all damage.

What could be nice would be a buff to dissintigrate as an addition. At least for a future patch.

Blizzard has been clear they do not want channeling to be our main source of damage.

The issue with that is that just simply buffing the other skills would’ve still resulted in Deathwish and Etched Sigil being used for those skills as their combo is almost too good to pass up. That is unless you buff the new items like crazy so that they would be better than deathwish and etched sigil, but that just opens up a couple of issues as well.

A change to death wish and etched sigil is/was needed, that’s something that most wizards would agree with. The issue however was the route Blizzard had took to make such changes. Changing etched sigil to work with only energy twisters was a nonsensical change at best. What should’ve been done is that etched sigil’s auto-spender effect should’ve been kept, but it’s damage multiplier should’ve been increased and changed to affect only the channeling skills. Then they should’ve buffed deathwish multiplier and also changed it so that it only buffed the damage of the channeling skills.

After that, a major buff to almost all existing skill specific legendary items (or create new ones) to make up for the losing deathwish and etched sigil as well as to help arcane spender builds being able to stand up on their feet without relying on channeling.

If this was done, not only would deathwish, etched sigil, and channeling cease to be a major staple for wizard builds, but also we’d gain channeling builds where the channeling skills themselves actually deal damage.

So all in all, there was certainly a way to go about changing deathwish and etched sigil, that would’ve resulted in better changes for wizards overall.

1 Like

One thing that bugs me is that we have been blinded a bit by the teleports in this set.

As far as I remember only Venaliter reacted to this and I have to say that the criticism was spot on. Teleport needs a rework and if that happened there would be no need for it to be envolved in the FB set.
That change can wait for next patch, no chance anything changes for now. For next patch I really hope the devs look at the spell and the ideas the community have provided.
For now a nice solution would be to, again Venaliter’s idea, to give 100% cool down reduction when we have combustion stacks.
Last thing I would like would be some sort of time buffer. This could be done by allowing the stacks to pass the max needed. I suggested this in another thread so won’t dive into it more here.
So besides the damage some QOL would be nice to get.

1 Like

I know and yet we spam the thing for the stacks. If we got a time buffer that could could change my opinion on this.
Let me stress that it should be seen as “a nice to have”.

Regarding Teleport, there’s three things that could be looked at for improving it.

• The Teleport Skill itself
  • The Illusionist Passive
  • Aether Walker

Personally, I would change the Illusionist passive so that it works similar to the firebird 4 piece bonus whereas teleport’s cdr is tied to combusition stacks. Then change Aether Walker so that teleport offers a damage bonus to wizard skills. I wouldn’t really touch teleport itself, unless we’re talking about changing the reversal rune.

For example:

Illusionist:

• Attacking or getting hit grants an illusionist stack for 10 seconds, up to 10 stacks max. Each stack reduces the cooldown of Teleport, Slow Time, and Mirror Images by 10%. For each stack, add an 2.5 arcane cost to Teleport.

Then change Aether Walker to:

• While the Illusionist passive is active, the amount of illusionist stacks you gained is doubled. Teleporting increases the damage of your skills by 12-15% for each illusionist stack for 10 seconds.

But at this point, I don’t think teleport will be removed from Firebird (as such this suggestion is mostly for fun). That said the animation speed change will likely be a plus for me.

I miss Etched Sigil too; :cry: would have preferred a redesign of this sort instead.

ES had that same feeling as MI; a second level of build design. You have to mind what you place on your bar to optimize usage, but what you place can be made highly effective.

1 Like

I stressed that it’s for future patches!

My comment was made so that no one would mistake that I’m asking for new teleport changes now. It wasn’t aimed at you specifically.

1 Like

First of all sorry if that seemed hostile. In no way was that intended :slightly_smiling_face:.
I highly doubt any such changes will happen now, I would super glad to be wrong though :slight_smile:

Anyway we are on the same side on this buddy.

Cheers

1 Like

First, let me say that my point is not to be combative, but I am pushing back. We are pulling in the direction of a better game for all.

If the devs just buffed the other skills/runes and items then they would be somewhat forced to rebalance DW and maybe Sigil. This approach should lead to a proper balancing. It’s like using a lint roller instead of pinching at bits of lint 1 at a time. If we simply call for nerfs the devs will respond and when there is a tidal wave of calls for nerfs they go overboard. If we say “hey devs channeling is too prevalent, please fix”, they are going to break or destroy all channeling builds. Their knee jerk reactions tend to end up as surgery by sledge hammer versus a tiny insition with a scalpel. This is why I disagreed with the approach.

The strength of bazooka32 isn’t just DW/sigil, it’s the accumulation multipliers. Many of the multipliers have been around for quite a while. A direct fix would have been to redesign the star pact rune. Even if they gave SP a flat damage value temporarily as a place holder it would have halted bazooka32, which they claim was either over performing or an unintended interaction. Yes, it would most likely break all SP builds, but that would be the point. 31 days should be more than enough time to sort out a redesign of SP and/or the interaction between the multipliers, and then get it on a PTR. Instead we have folks assigning blame to 1 or 2 items and ignoring the multipliers and their interaction as a whole.

I get that is easier to blame DW and offer it as a sacrifice. The problem is the devs are likely to destroy it and leave it broken without any further efforts.

If Wizards think DW requires a toning down or redesign then where are the calls for toning down Shadow Hook and Scythe of the Cycle?

1 Like

Again, no one suggested to nerf Death Wish and leave it at that.

How far behind are the non-mirror image variants? I’d imagine that if they reduced it to 2 or 3 mirror images, each more durable than before, it would even out the power level between the different builds, and maybe allow for reining in some nerfs.

Three durable images with the life runes would mean we could possibly run a third dps gem, after some life%, VIT optimization.

That would make the build stronger, or at least on par, not weaker. It would make for an interesting build decision though!

Flame blades with Furnace is about 4GR behind the non shielding, EW MI build.

Squirts+Zodiac MI+EB Hybrid is more powerful even than this build, but requires boocooes of paragon to sustain Squirts. So on the top end there will be even more separation.

1 Like