Rend skill damage bonus % on shoulders and chest

For clarity, you do not want to have rend damage bonus on shoulders and chest for ww/rend buikd whether you are hard casting rend or more relying on ambo?

2 15% skill bonus amounts to how much more DPS?

Did you consider checking the stickied guide

4 Likes

I don’t know the exact calculation of the different modifiers - but 30% Rend damage from shoulders and chest is not just added to the 1100% basic damage from the Rend skill (so it would be 1130%). It’s multiplicative damage somewhere in the equation with the Wastes’ set bonuses and Lamentation buff plus all the rest. So it’s a big damage modifier.

1 Like

It depends on how much dibs you have elsewhere.

You’ll pretty much always have 10% from Battle Rage, but beyond that it’s variable. Taeguk is dibs, so the higher the level of your gem, the more dibs you have there, obviously. Berserker Rage and Brawler are also dibs.

Let’s say your Taeguk was rank 120. This would give you +68% dibs. You also get 10% for Battle Rage, and let’s say 25% for Berserker Rage. That’s a total of +103% damage, so instead of doing 100% damage on an attack, you’re doing 203% damage.

If you then add in 15% rolls on chest and shoulders, instead of +103% damage, you’ve got + 133% damage, so you’d be doing 233% damage on an attack.

233 / 203 = 1.1478, i.e. adding those two rolls increases your damage by 14.78%.

If your Taeguk was max rank and you were also using Brawler, then you’d have, before adding those chest and shoulder rolls, 80 + 10 + 25 + 20 = 135% dibs, and would be doing 235%, rather than 100%, damage on an attack. Adding chest and shoulder rolls would take you from 135% to 165% dibs.

265 / 235 = 1.1277, i.e. in this case, adding those two rolls only increases your damage by 12.77%.

And of course, if your Taeguk were rank 0 and you weren’t using Brawler or Berserker Rage, then you’d see a proportionately greater increase from adding those rolls on chest and shoulders.

You always want those rolls, whether hard-casting or applying Rend via Ambo.

3 Likes

Did you check the guide?

Edit: Thanks Rage I was curious about the math mainly. It sounds like rend is ideal as long as survivability is not an issue.

1 Like

It does. Part 1 under gear.

Hard to juggle alts, I know, but it’s all there, regardless.

1 Like

Yes, did you? It’s in the Gear section

1 Like

Ctrl+F is your friend, friend. The forum search actually isn’t terrible either.

Having written a guide vaguely similar in layout to the DH one you linked above, let me just say that all that formatting takes no small amount of time, and my guide is not even 1/10th as detailed and descriptive as Free’s is. Add in the time it takes to update the text of the guide for each season and/or patch, and then subsequent changes to the formatting, and it really starts to add up. All done in your free time too. And that’s just for the one guide. Free has several that I can see pinned in the Barbarian forum.

These guides are written by community members for the benefit of the community, purely out of the desire to help others, and there’s just something about nitpicking at them that doesn’t quite sit well with me, especially so when constructive criticism wasn’t asked for. Maybe it’s just me.

7 Likes

Thanks, Morgan.

It is indeed hard to keep them all up to date, and I don’t have much time these days. I plan on adding ToC to a few in the New Year, but it depends on how much free time is available. That and I haven’t figured out how to do it yet!

How do you get your Headings to also work as links? I’m not terribly software savvy, so any tips would be great!

1 Like

Hey, Free. Are you referring to the clickable links in the table of contents that take you to different parts of the guide? I used the anchor feature. TheTias linked me to an incredibly helpful guide here and honestly, I just fiddled around in Perusoe’s Testing Grounds until I got everything to work the way I wanted to. It’ll probably make more sense than my convoluted explanation below, but I’ll give it a shot anyway :joy:

The code for anchors goes a little something like this:

<a href="#Anchor01">Link to Holy Diver lyrics</a>

Holy Diver
You've been down too long in the midnight sea
Oh what's becoming of me?
Ride the tiger
You can see his stripes but you know he's clean
Oh don't you see what I mean?

<a name="Anchor01">Dio - Holy Diver</a>

The most important thing is not to forget the # in the href part of the code, and to make sure both the anchor and the link to the anchor use the same reference. “#Anchor01” links to “Anchor01”, “#MyLinkHere” links to “MyLinkHere”, “#Crazy Train” links to “CrazyTrain”.

Link to Holy Diver lyrics

Dio - Holy Diver

Holy Diver
You’ve been down too long in the midnight sea
Oh what’s becoming of me?
Ride the tiger
You can see his stripes but you know he’s clean
Oh don’t you see what I mean?

You don’t even necessarily need any text between the <a name="NameofAnchorHere"> and </a> parts of the code if you feel so inclined, and prefer the way it looks.

<a href="#Anchor02">Link Kashmir lyrics [cont.]</a>

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face
With stars to fill my dreams
I am a traveler of both time and space
To be where I have been

<a name="Anchor02"></a>Led Zeppelin - Kashmir

Link to Kashmir lyrics

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face
With stars to fill my dreams
I am a traveller of both time and space
To be where I have been

I also used the same feature to create the ‘Back to table of contents’ links at the bottom of each sub-section of my guide, placing the name tag in the same line as the table of contents heading, and then using the same href link at the bottom of each sub-section. No need to create separate links if they’re all going back to the same place :blush:

The rest of it is just fixing up formatting, putting headers and dot points in where required so you can turn this

<div align="center"><i>Fancy-pants introduction</i></div>

Welcome!

[Text]

# <a name="Anchor0"></a>Table of contents

* <a href="#Anchor1">Why Witch Doctor?</a>
* <a href="#Anchor2">Beginner’s guide</a>
* <a href="#Anchor3">Builds</a>
  * <a href="#Anchor3A">Helltooth Harness builds</a>
* <a href="#Anchor4">Seasons</a>
  * <a href="#Anchor4A">Season leveling</a>

<hr>

# <a name="Anchor1"></a>Why Witch Doctor?

[Text]

<a href="#Anchor0"><small>Back to table of contents</small></a>

<hr>

# <a name="Anchor2"></a>Beginner’s guide

* [Diablo 3 Game Guide](https://us.diablo3.com/en/game/)
* [Link]
* [etc.]

<hr>

# <a name="Anchor3"></a>Builds

[Text]

For season-specific start builds, please refer to the section about <a href="#Anchor4">seasons</a> below.

## <a name="Anchor3A"></a>Helltooth Harness

* [Link]

## <a name="Anchor3B"></a>Manajuma’s Way

* [Link]

<hr>

# <a name="Anchor4"></a>Seasons

[Text]

* [Link]

## <a name="Anchor4A"></a>Season leveling

* [Link]

into this!

Fancy-pants, long-winded introduction

Welcome!

[Text]

Table of contents

Why Witch Doctor?

[Text]

Back to table of contents

Beginner’s guide

Builds

[Text]

For season-specific start builds, please refer to the section about seasons below.

Helltooth Harness

• [Link]

Manajuma’s Way

• [Link]

Seasons

[Text]

• [Link]

Season leveling

• [Link]

Phew. I don’t think it’s possible for anyone to explain that in a wordier, more convoluted matter, but I do sincerely hope it helps. I’m no great shakes at this stuff either but if you’d like a hand formatting your own guide(s), please let me know. Alternatively, I’m more than happy to send you the raw text of my own guide if you’d like to use that as a sort of framework :blush: Thanks as always for the hard work you put into your guides, Free. Hope you’re enjoying some relaxing time over the holiday period.

11 Likes

Dude, you quoting Dio at me?

That’s my dream come true. Long live the King of Rock and Roll!

Anyways, thanks for the info. That looks like a LOT of extra work, so I may put off adding that to the guides until later this year. In the meantime, CTRL + F should work for anyone needing to search OPs.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Morgan,

Your template is excellent and easy to use. I incorporated multiple elements of it already when I made this thread.

2 Likes

Off to Spotify we go for a trip down memory lane with RJD, hahaha thanks.

2 Likes

:metal: Long live the king! :metal:

My offer still stands, sing out if you need a hand, I’m happy to help if/where I can.

Thank you, I’m glad it was helpful. Again, if you’d like for me to send you the entire raw text too, please let me know.