Reinstallation trouble

I would love to post this in the general Blizzard tech support forum, but every attempt to view those forums seems to log my account out, which is comforting, because maybe all of Blizzard is borked right now and this issue will go away on its own.

So anyway, I opened the Battle.net desktop app, and it wouldn’t load any of my games on the home screen. Displayed message was something lke “Battle.net Update Agent went to sleep”. I managed to fix this, somehow, once. Standard procedure of read support articles, screw with settings, reboot a few times. Not sure what the magic bullet was.

Then it happened again the next time I opened Battle.net, so I decided to just reinstall battle.net. The installation seemed to get stuck at 45%, which seems to be a common technical problem with no agreed-upon solution, although it turns out that if I wait long enough I do actually get to the next UI screen.

The screen I’m stuck on is the one where you choose the install location (C:/Program Files/whatever). I can change the location if I want.
There’s also a box to check if you want Battle.net to start automatically when the computer starts up. I can check/uncheck that box just fine.

In the bottom-right corner, there’s a blue “Continue” button, and that button… does not work. I click it, it changes color to a darker shade of blue, and when I release my mouse button it becomes light blue again. That’s it. I am stuck on this screen.

Any ideas?

Got the same problem on two PCs.

First i noticed the high CPU usage by the Battle.net Update Agent Tab - without any game on and without any download in the background.

So i restarted the launcher, maybe the tab got stucked or anything - and so it begins: the launcher shows the message “battle.net update agent is inactive. we try to restart…” (or something like that, I play on an german launcher :smiley: )

I then had the same idea of simply reinstalling the launcher. I was also stuck at 45%, which then continued on its own. I also survived the next screen as you describe with the “Continue” Button - you just have to spamclick it.

But after everything was finally installed, no improvement…I’m on the verge of going insane…

All other game launchers got no problem…it’s just battle.net. I hope, this will get a fix soon…

Please let me know if you found a solution!

Greetings, Raidestrasz

@Minus,

Hello:

How did you do that, exactly ?
Did you delete the Battle.Net Tools folder as listed in Blizzard Support - Uninstalling the Battle.net Desktop App ?

There is another way to completely uninstall Battle.Net – Blizzard sometimes refer to it as “nuking” the Battle.Net Desktop App install. See this post for details:

(the post is on the Desktop App Tech Support – and you said you couldn’t access it before – so here’s a copy in case you still can’t access it).

… we would want to see if nuking the Battle.net Application helps. The steps that follow are more thorough than a basic uninstall and covers every location that temporary files may be stored to ensure a fresh install is done for the app.

1. Uninstall the application
  2. Press Windows key + R and type in %temp%
  3. Delete anything related to Blizzard or Battle.net
  4. Do the same for %programdata%, %localappdata%, %appdata%
  5. Reinstall the application. A fresh installer should be downloaded for this

If that doesn’t help, then we’d want to see if creating and switching to a new Administrator Account helps. This sets many settings to defaults and also helps with permission problems, so can be useful to do even if you’re using an admin account already.

If that still doesn’t help, you should contact Blizzard Support with a ticket – use this link to start the process: https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/contact/1202/ticket

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Ok. I found the reason, but no solution.

Is it possible, you use malwarebytes as antivirus protection? I disabled it and the launcher runs as intended…if I enable it back on, the Update Agent went to sleep.

So it has to be an connection between malwarebytes and the battle.net update agent.

But no matter which folder from battlenet and blizzard I set to whitelist, the update agent gets blocked. Only with malwarebytes fully disabled, the launcher starts and downloads as intended.

Any ideas?

1 Like

@Raidestrasz:

Hello,

This issue was also reported on the Europe Battle.Net Launcher Feedback Discussion forum here:

The purpose of that forum is to gather feedback and suggestions on the Battle.Net Launcher… so it doesn’t see much in terms of replies by Blizzard Support. A more appropriate place would be the Desktop App Tech Support forum.

Another forum to report that issue is the Desktop App Bug Report forum but you likely won’t get a reply from Blizzard.

Question : have you tried using the Beta version of the Desktop App instead ?

2 Likes

I tried the BETA version aswell. Same issue.

Like described in my last post, disable my anti-virus software clears the error-message.

But I don’t know which file or folder i had to whitelist in malwarebytes. To whitelist both folders in the ProgramData didn’t clear the error.

1 Like

I don’t know either… the Desktop App itself is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net but it is spread over in several folders as well.

Perhaps a bug report in the Desktop App Bug Report forum would be useful… at least to give a heads-up to the Battle.Net Launcher Dev team.

Of course, Blizzard’s response might be to let MalwareBytes know about it.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I will give it a try in the Bug Report forum.

Many thanks for the quick response! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha ha, holy jeez it was Malwarebytes that was somehow preventing me from clicking on that Continue button. I had tried whitelisting everything I could think of already, so I didn’t bother just turning it off. Specifically it’s just the malware protection that needed to be turned off, not web, ransomware, or exploit protection.

Maybe I’ll contact the MB team for ideas.

Edit: Just to answer some Q’s asked, I had to delete all the bnet files manually. The uninstaller itself did not work, and the link in the error message it spit out simply said something like “it broke, and Blizzard’s technogoblins don’t know why.”

I did actually open a support ticket. They responded with all the same recommendations you can find with a web search, and then also suggested posting to the forums.

2 Likes

I’m glad I could help :slight_smile:

I hope that Malwarebytes will provide a solution soon. Or at least a statement about what we need to whitelist.

Have a good day and a nice weekend!

Greetings, Raidestrasz :wink:

This was posted some 2 hours ago :

Please read the 2nd reply in the thread [ [Malwarebytes - Battle.net update agent went to sleep error]

See reply by AdvancedSetup, MalwareBytes staff, here:

MalwareBytes recommends to turn off the “Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center”.

For your info.

1 Like