BLZBNTBNA00000005 - Battle.net Update Agent went to sleep

BLZBNTBNA00000005 Agent went to sleep. This is currently a common problem and a Blizzard issue. No amount of local ‘fixing’ will resolve this effectively. Blizzard need to resolve this frustrating problem.

2 Likes

same problem you get this resolved yet?

Having this problem, Never seen this before personally. My network is fine, all my non blizzard games boot up and run fine, Drivers are up to date.

Edit: Can’t even reinstall new launcher, been sitting on 45% “updating battle.net update agent” for 20 minutes. Some of my guildies are stuck in various places of trying to update/launch game. What’s going on blizzard? some communication would be nice

1 Like

Same issue, posting here so maybe mods will pay attention.

Same issue can we get a fix here ???

Same issue here. This started last night. I’m pretty sure my issue is with something between Malwarebytes and battle.net. If I quit Malwarebytes, WoW and battle.net load fine. If I turn Malwarebytes back on, launching WoW gets stuck on “Starting battle.net” little black window. If I try to start battle.net, I get the battle.net agent went to sleep error BLZBNTBNA00000005.

I have added battle.net executable and battle.net Launcher to Malwarebytes Allow List, but that didn’t help.

I am also trying to get answers from Malwarebytes. I don’t want to turn off my protection just to play WoW and then have to turn it back on. Rinse. Repeat. Any help would be appreciated.

3 Likes

It does look like it is indeed Malwarebytes causing the issue. I’ve experienced the same problem recently, and as the poster above me said, turning off MBAM allowed me to launch Bnet.

3 Likes

Malwarebytes confirmed. I shut it down and everything worked. Now to troubleshoot further.

2 Likes

Had this problem, but it took a very long time to get through the install point. For me, I had to wait much longer than expected to get through the install process

having same issue, I have malwarebytes too, haven’t tried turning it off.

I even fixed permission of the drive i have games installed on, no luck.

I’ve been working a support ticket in Malwarebytes all day and battle.net is finally working as it should. I have no idea what changed. Maybe something on Malwarebytes side or something on battle.net side. All my settings are as they were when the issue started, but now everything is working as it should. I am perplexed, but happy.

1 Like

Nix that. It is happening again. :frowning:

Hi everybody, I’ve been posting on the Malwarebytes forum. We did a bunch of stuff to my machine that shouldn’t have fixed anything, and then I had the idea to run the Battle.net Update Agent as an administrator. I went into ProgramData/Battle.net looking for Agent.exe (multiple locations) and related files, changed compatability to run as Admin, and now it seems to work for me.

1 Like

I haven’t had any issues with the launcher or games launching, however the last couple days I’ve had my Battle.net Update Agent running Very High power usage. I hear my fans rev up every couple of seconds for about 1-2s then back down. About 6-7% CPU usage but drawing a ton of power. Wiped literally every bit of Blizzard software including games from my system and reinstalled the app but still happening. Not sure what’s causing it on my end but I haven’t changed literally anything about my system to cause it to happen. It just wasn’t doing it one day, and was the next. I do have MWB so not sure if that’s what’s doing it or not. Set Agent to admin will see if that fixes it or not and update later.

EDIT: Running as Admin did not fix the high power usage, however as soon as I shut down MalwareBytes the power and CPU usage immediately dropped to almost nothing. So if you’re having a similar issue and are running MWB give that a shot.

1 Like

I was having the same problems with Battle.net launcher. I added Battle.net launcher.exe and Battle.net.exe to malewarebytes allow list and restarted the launcher. Works fine for me now. hope this helps someone.

Cheers

1 Like

exact same problems in the last couple of days, and I use MalwareBytes too. Tried upgrading to MalwareBytes 5 from 4, didn’t help. Battle.net Update Agent looks to be pegging the CPU, I get the “Battle.net Update Agent went to Sleep” message in the Launcher. When I quit MalwareBytes, immediately that message goes away and the Launcher works normally, and my CPU goes back down to normal temp. Something has changed in the past couple of days, either with MW Bytes or the Launcher, but not sure where the problem lies. I do have a newish Battle.net Agent as of yesterday.

1 Like

If you are running Malwarebytes, turn off the Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center option under Security > Windows Security Center.

5 Likes

So far this has worked for me. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I’m having the same issue where Battlenet hangs on “BLZBNTBNA00000005 (Battle.net Update Agent went to sleep. Attempting to wake it up…)” for 1m41s to 2m23s before loading. Turning Mbam off lets it load instantly. I do not get the CPU ramp that others have listed. Register option has always been on. This started recently. Doesn’t matter if you run as admin or not. I don’t know if there’s an effect in game under high intensity play, as I haven’t raided yet this week.

1 Like

To clarify, the option to “turn off the Always register Malwarebytes” option is in Malwarebytes > Settings > Security for me (Malwarebytes premium 4.6.10-which should be latest as of writing this). Basically what this does is switches the AV to Windows Defender from MBAM in the security center but MBAM is still running, which is interesting since I was always told you don’t need 2 AV software and they could conflict.

After almost 4 days now of troubleshooting everything related to what has been mentioned here and else where, this is the solution that finally allowed COD MW2 DMZ to launch successfully. It is concerning that there is an issue with MBAM, especially after cyber attacks in the past few weeks. I’ve sent multiple bug reports to Blizzard and Activision but there aren’t any tickets to follow-up with (which is a huge issue). If someone from Blizzard reads this, I will be more than happy to help troubleshoot why there is a conflict with MBAM.

I wish there was a poll to see how many of the people on here that have issues, also have MBAM running with that setting to see if that is the common link.

4 Likes