@ Rage: Weapon Throw

Humor me some more. According to the 3Dplanner it will take 380 hits to proc BP (w/ IK) and at 8.5 APS, this will occur every 44 second, which would be a 50% damage increase for 3 seconds (60 seconds collectively), which would occur 20 times per GR (but more when you have the speed pylon active), theoretically speaking.

Your thoughts please.

https://maxroll.gg/d3/d3planner/190153230

Well, keep in mind that this setup only gives you Aughild 2-piece, because you have no RoRG.

As for BP, I think you kind of answer your own question: getting +50% damage 1/15th of the time is nothing to write home about. It’s certainly a hell of a lot worse than the +200% 1/4 of the time that you could be getting from CoE.

And that would actually be a pretty excellent setup: just swap BP here for CoE, and simply accept that you only get the Aughild 2-piece. That’s still 30% extra damage, on top of what you’re getting from CoE.

When I’ve run Aughild, I’ve run RoRG, to get Aughild 3-piece, and also used Witching Hour. But CoE + Aughild(2) is almost certainly better than Aughild(3) + Witching Hour. The only important thing you are really losing is 30% elite reduction. But if you can stay alive without that, then CoE + Aughild(2) is the way to go.

2 Likes

:laughing:

Here’s something I don’t understand, why doesn’t IAS effect the * Average Hits to Proc: 379.89 number for BP?

I’ll have too give that a try.

Because IAS just increases the rate at which you get those hits… you still need the same number of hits.

Like, if it’s 400 miles from where you live to Detroit, you will get there faster if you drive 70 miles per hour than if you drive 25. But either way, Detroit is still 400 miles away.

3 Likes

Check out this LoD setup:

https://maxroll.gg/d3/d3planner/668035786

There’s a few contingency and you need to play keep away. In less than 1 second you proc BP (not counting the internal cool down for BP).

Definitely better than an IK setup. But, I thought of an additional wrinkle to the whole idea of using BP at all:

You really need BR:Bloodshed to have any chance of killing anything with this build. And that extra 3% CHC drags down your chances of proccing BP. But without Bloodshed, I doubt it’s possible to even clear GR 110 with any Weapon Throw setup.

:point_up:

Needs to be

My recollection is tbe PM functionality is not turned on for this forum.

Irrespective, this thread does give insights on this build, its variants, and mechanics.

1 Like

You’re probably right, I could put an extra 20% AD on amy to try to offset the lose. As difficult as it might be to stay at a distance and not take damage, Squirt’s (100% damage) + 20% AD is greater than Bloodshed, if it could be consistently executed, I guess this would be the give and take that said play in another thread complained about. But this doesn’t pan out, I got another idea that would involve replacing BP for another ring that actually be more up my alley.

I don’t even know what that means.

PM = private message

1 Like

Bro, check this glass cannon. This one has some impressive damage, and has a total keep away play style.

I think you forgot to include a link!

:laughing:, well that’s not gonna help.

https://maxroll.gg/d3/d3planner/456240748

Replying here, you can ditch the other thread if you want.

I think you should try playing this setup and see how it goes… I think it will probably be really hard to stay alive without BoM, and without Bloodshed it’ll be really hard to progress through dense mobs.

That’s a place where D3planner can kind of get you into trouble: it doesn’t necessarily showcase the difference between “2x damage, but only vs 1 mob” and “x damage, but against 100 mobs” very well- you have to add in that sort of stuff drawing from your own experience.

Without Bloodshed, you only have AD to hit multiple mobs, and you can fit a lot less mobs into an AD circle than a Bloodshed circle.

But: give it a try and see how it goes!

Dude NA HC Barbarian leaderboards the #1 gr 150 weapon throw.

Not sure if you’re joking.

I think you are talking about Raekor, where 100% of the damage comes from Ancient Spear: Boulder Toss, not from Weapon Throw. Weapon Throw is useful in that build, but not for its ability to deal damage. It’s great for stacking Stricken, building Fury, and generating Raekor stacks, all vs the boss, but it does essentially 0 damage on its own.

To be clear: that is indeed a valuable contribution on the part of Weapon Throw. But, it’s actually possible to play Raekor, at a very high level, entirely without Weapon Throw. For instance, in S27, where people replace Weapon Throw with WW in order to use the WW pull power. And, though it is not optimal, you could do the same thing in non-season, just for stacking Stricken with WW on the boss. In fact, some of the higher clears on the first iteration of the PTR when the Raekor set was reworked did exactly that, because at that time Weapon Throw hadn’t gotten the attack speed and Fury generation buffs that it received in the update of that PTR.

Anyway, this thread is addressed to builds that actually deal their damage with Weapon Throw, and as you may have surmised from the discussion, builds along those parameters are pretty wimpy.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m playing out in my mind how exactly one would play this setup. I’m loosely using H90 as a gage of what this setup might be capable of. H90’s flat damage output is 3.3 trillion (when hitting on all cylinders) and Weapon Throw setup is double that with 6.6 trillion (on what seems to be a near 100% basis), breakpoint 6.5, and AD 198%. I’m wondering if with that amount of damage, I can advance ever so slightly and take out small clusters of enemies and then isolate elites, doing this all at a distance.

I’m on vaca, so it will be a week or so before I can test this.

Still applicable today

But H90 without Bloodshed is just extraordinarily bad.

Like I said, give it a try, but I am pretty certain that basically all Weapon Throw setups are going to feel really, really weak without Bloodshed.

I agree that Bloodshed is a great skill, but I think it’s a little glorified in H90 (in particular) because of the design of the set. Since Bastion’s chain splits up your damage between enemies and therefore your dps is diminished for every enemy near you, which is in opinion, is a bad design and holds it back. Secondly, AD for whatever reason isn’t as effective with H90 (is it because of Frenzy’s proc coefficiency of .75, idk), I kinda feel that the Devs did a pre-silent nerf. But like you said,

I have this inclination that with Weapon Throw’s proc coefficiency (of 1.00) it will perform well and especially at 198%, but if it doesn’t, then AD can be switched out with Phy Min/Max. Since the latter might be the case, do you have a recommendation of how much AD% I should aim for?