PSA, Charm inventory and you

I often leave 2x4 space to make the pace of play flow better. This is a choice. By giving a charm inventory you take away this choice, creating a mind-numbing experience that I dislike.

The original devs, including Brevik, have said that Charms were intended to create choices, not be a buff with no downside. He has repeatedly stated the intended design choices in regards to inventory management. You are incorrect here with the statement that charms are not there to circumvent potion use. That is exactly the reason they are there, to force players into situations where they must make decisions.

3 Likes

provide source with exact timing of the video where he said that.

that’s fair I will do it too occasionally, but point being you wont empty your full GG charms if you have them for certain build

Just makes no sence to argue when you think the real charm game mechanic is to fill up your inventory and only use cube to pick up items and everyone who is not playing like this is not utilizing charms.
Better request some hyprid build balancing or new hyprid runeword as this seems to be the better solution for your hyprid kick sin build.

I didn’t have time to parse videos I have of him, but here is a tweet that is directly about charms, from April.

David Brevik
@davidbrevik

Well, a few things: 1) We didn’t think of it. 2) The whole idea behind the design was space vs. power. That was the tradeoff. That was the point. I like how it balances that. In the end, there are few items you want to pick up anyhow. Plus I’m a big anti-inventory-space designer.

Quote Tweet

Werner B.

@TheHiobs

· Apr 13

@davidbrevik May i ask why in D2LOD development Charms where put into the Inventory instead of a new “Page” exclusively for Charms. Back then you should have known how people felt about the little space you gave the Players. And would you have supported such idea? Thank you.

3 Likes

you making a lot of bad assumptions repeatedly, I don’t use cube to pick up items, you think there is no point in conversing with a person who doesn’t share the same views as you do and you think I would ask for itemization because you assume i think the game is to hard for me or something similar.

thank you for the effort, I wanted to wait for you to supply it before referring to it - but he is just one person in the entire studio although i respect and cherish him for all he did, like he said, " big anti-inventory-space designer"

lets assume the entire studio agrees its a good thing and that’s why it shipped that way

do you really think it couldn’t be improved upon?

Correct. I think it cannot be improved upon by getting rid of choices. In fact, I think getting rid of the Charm vs Space dynamic completely diminishes the entire concept of charms, and why they are in the game.

Would gameplay flow faster and more fluid with 4x10 inventory, and 4x10 CharmInv? sure. But maybe in a dungeon crawler the feel of interacting with the environment should be cherished, not destroyed.

Maybe it’s better gameplay to have to actually interact with items during a dungeon run, like identifying, making decisions on what to keep or throw, how much space to I carry if I don’t want to carry an ID tome, etc.

This system is now dynamic, creating a charm inventory takes that dynamic gameplay and turns it into a one dimensional boring slog through the dungeon.

3 Likes

well, you are talking as if we don’t know how it operates (meaning you sound like you can’t actually test it)

i was like everyone else before trying it, i saw the surveys and thought i don’t want anything changed and i decided to actually test it and it didn’t feel like it was ruining the gameplay or making me into a buffed up over powered beast, it just made gameplay better

It makes gameplay easier.

Easier isn’t the same as better.

It’s like any loot based game. Designers have a choice. “how much space should we give”.
Often times designers believe giving less space is better game design, and I agree with them. If every player could just farm aimlessly for 2 hours and sort all their gear later, the dungeon crawling would feel far less interactive, and become more of a boring grind, with little breaking the monotony. I like feeling like I’m actually playing the game a bit, by identifying, going to town, picking things up, throwing them down as I find better stuff, etc. I don’t want to feel like a bot that does 10 runs before even having to hit that “I” button.

5 Likes

it doesn’t make gameplay easier, ill use almost the same amount of charms, and we are not talking about infinite inventory, we are talking about an iteration which will allow you to pick 1 to two items at least before going back to town

I am the one making a lot of bad assumptions? :smiley:

1. “I’m not the only one who plays like that in vanilla but it seems like a pattern of people against charm inventory which dictate they are either against charms as a whole or they just don’t utilize like most people do”

2. “if you don’t get rushed and actually enjoy the experience and go through act 1 by yourself”

That’s the reason I can not argue with you because you didn’t bring up a single valid arguement for charm inventory in this hole confersation. Please tell me one ! And because you always fill up your inventory with charms anyway or your hybrid kick sin build requires it are not valid arguments pro charm inventory.

1 Like

Then who even cares? either use the horadric cube, or sacrifice 2 GCs. No monster is so difficult that 2 skillers makes that much of a difference.

We already can pick up 1 or 2 items, the only difference is a couple skillers, at most, or not wanting to do a horadric-shuffle. These are gameplay choices, and at most doing it the most efficient way only saves maybe a few seconds per run, if that.

It’s just a straight buff, with no downsides, and charm inventory is completely unnecessary.

5 Likes

you didn’t even read what i wrote which is why you think what i said was even an “assumption” go through this entire thread and see for yourself, and for your second point still seems you’re upset, add something to the topic instead of trying to argue with random people

people which advocate for some use of charm inventory care and it’s much the same as the gold pick conversation, Quality of life

so many people i saw fighting about that gold pick up before alpha until they actually saw it and where are they now?

a small change that can make gameplay better, it does not buff you in anyway

it not the same. the gold pick up i QOL the charm inventory is not.

lets jut fill up with charms. ohh and full rev potions when pvp or pvm, or extra gear to pre buff,or items with the res i need to this and that location.
lets fill up inventory with gear insted of going back= faster to get gear=easier.
all this is just a few of the way to make the game easier. ther is more.
=not QOL

3 Likes

There is an aspect of charm inventory that improves QoL for some players, which I understand. It also is a pretty big buff.

I really think a Charm inventory makes the gameplay worse, but I understand people may feel differently about what makes games fun to play.

Let me ask you, in your vision of what a charm inventory should be, you have stated you don’t want it to be big, just enough to hold 1 or two items? if this is the case, why not just resolve yourself to hold a couple less charms? is it really such a big deal if someone has 3% more damage than you?

Reason being is that the charm inventory allows you to further you build diversity, the way it is right now does not feel very balanced and stating it’s a major buff is false, some people do it, some don’t, it’s in the game why not allow for 1 to 2 items to be picked up either way for quality of life?

Can you please elaborate how an extra 4x2 space would somehow make a build viable, that without those 8 spaces wouldn’t be?

In my experience, there are no builds that rely on those extra charms.

all bild can be used. you can doo it all naked if you want.

can you elaborate how 4x2 is a major buff and overpowered?

having extra room for res charms might mean you don’t need to use CoH for example, I’m sure you can find more on your own, you sound seasoned enough to do so