Pls give back the tetris

Tbh, I am not a fan of scrollable inventories and also not of the str to carry more items. But I think it is even better than the D3 system, because again, it gives diversity, which is all I am asking for.

How exactly an inventory looks, shouldn’t be too important IMO, since you get used to it anyways. But if the game is too simplified, it will be less fun I think. And a little system like that for the inv is consequently improvement IMHO.

1 Like

Check sacred 1 inventory

If giving my honest opinion on the subject offends you - I suggest you stop posting on forums.

Opening a thread doesn’t mean that only positive things about the subject can be discussed in it.

Well, that’s not your opinion, but a prejudgement, without even reading my posts for example, which I can tell, from your other posts like

since it was already proposed, that an auto-sort option could handle these things.

And besides that, I am an example of a D2 fan, but I don’t want D4 to be like D2, because D2 had some major weaknesses. Still there were concepts, which made it a great game and I would like to have these in D4 aswell, because it makes no sense to me, to throw away good concepts and replace them by “new and innovative” but less immersive and arcade-ish ones.

The reason why D3 make sure people go on the battlefield as fast as possible is because dialogue, story and music are garbage, and they want players to get occupied with combat.
because combat is the only thing to do.

But in an ARPG ( and not Action):

• there is a time for emotion, relief,
  • a time for benchmarking and analysing
  • a time for adrenalin and sweat

D3 players don’t want an limited inventory because they still have this idea that they want to salvage everything. Because in the head of those d3 players, a 8x2slots blue equals a 1x1slot blue.
But in diablo2 you pick up only things that can be sold a good value, or magic items that you think have a chance to turn very useful once identified. There is time for analysis and management, because it’s an ARPG, not just an action game.

So yes management is part of the game.

• Some d3 players want both benefits :
  • items taking 1 to 2 slots maximum (no tetris)
  • And a big inventory

So where is the management? What’s the point of an inventory?
I could be ok with a bigger inventory (which is already the case) only if there is a tetris management that allows competitive players to play more efficiently than the casual. The casual still has his large inventory, and has no reason to complain about.

Yet again, it’s not only about management, it’s also about the look of the items
https://ibb.co/brpwhzg
If a ring takes the same room as a helmet, it’s wrong, if a shield take as much room as a staff, also wrong.
Immersion again, immersion.

6 Likes

The D3 one isn’t that bad, i would complain more about the look of the items than about how much space they use in the inventory. Sure, i like more how they did both things for D2.

What i didn’t like is how they did it for D4, and i know that could be something they did only for the demo, but items that take 1 slot is a bad thing. Items arn’t special anymore and that combined with a big size inventory, make it too easy to lost track of which items you have.

Just give me nearly unlimited stash space, then it doesn’t matter if it is Tetris or not. I see no value in making it Tetris though.

One drawback to having all items occupy 1 slot is a problem with visually differentiating different types of items. Having armors and other 2 handed items occupy a bigger inventory space has the purpose of helping make quick distinctions between items (aside from the icon art). I think that there is a sweet spot that probably just tweaking the inventory size a bit larger can help with. On another note, Grim Dawn for example had inventory tabs/bags and an auto sort function for those that hate having to fit items. Maybe a combination of these things can be done to make the inventory less of a hassle than it currently is for those that hate that kind of thing.

Kinda took the time to think about it and I GUESS you’re right (kind of)

Back at the time games were designed to be interactive (not necessarily effective) though… Sure there can be found fun in BOTH

• Beating a system that’s supposed to fail on it’s own,
  • Beating a system that’s kinda supposed to not deliberately fail but you still have to “work it’s way through” (potentially up to optimal as much as possible)

I’d guess that there would be not much harm into making items in 3 categories: 1-handers take 1 slot, armor pieces take 2, and 2-handers take 3 or 4 (all of them taking vertically one column though)

I guess the bigger problem of playing the “tetris” was the fact that some stuff in D2 took 2 columns (i.e. horizontally more space) tbh

As long as the feeling is there but it’s kinda “1 dimensional”, guess could work… I guess they could also introduce “deliberate failures” to make the game feel not as optimal at everything, but that’s kinda “extra” food for thought on the long term tbh

1 Like

Seems like that would trivialize an important aspect of deciding on what to keep, what to leave on the ground.
Maybe character stash could be limited and Tetris like - but you could buy a donkey a la dungeon siege for added space??? Of course donkeys would be expensive.
But I am old school and biased in this regard. Someone here on the forums once called me an elitist nerd, they were right! Ha!

1 Like

Well one thing is certain that they introduced mounts, don’t see why not keep some stuff (potentially) on them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually I think this is a very important thing for an RPG, but that might just be a purely subjective opinion and my perception of what made games great in the past.

I would like 1x1, 1x2 and 2x1 sized items, just because it makes sense, that an armour or shield is wide (2x1), while a spear is long (1x2). That is also very easy to manage I think.

Yep, saddlebags work too.

I dont consider that an important aspect. Should simply be able to keep more or less everything (in stash, not inventory).

Depends… Well I guess if the time is on the line somehow

Competitive guys always had to choose cause time is one the line (somehow) for them :thinking: , me on the other hand waste 3 TP scrolls and buy 3 more :smiley:

OK, the more important aspect (AGAIN) IMO is how mobs behave, do they allow “safe zones” for you as a player and how much/often… IF you’re choosing what to carry and what not WHILE chased by mobs, is one thing, if on the other hand noone is around… 3 TP scrolls it is lol :smiley:

Again, ANOTHER FEATURE that would be improved/upgraded by updating mob behavior. Imagine Goblins running around picking stuff from the battlefield that remain untaken lol :slight_smile:

The only thing that makes sense this way for me if there are the “African” shields Zulu style, otherwise it’s all Gothic/vertical to me tbh :smiley:

1 Like

If you want to make it more realistic just to get a “feel” then make inventory even smaller and hero only able to carry 1 item around. I mean how many items do you think you could carry while fighting hordes of enemies?
Now that would really add to the challenge you are referring to, right?

Middleground my friend

I agree items being the same size is retarded… the game feels more real and classical if a bow is 6 slot or 8 slot, an axe being 6 slot or 8, polearms and mauls being 8 slot, rings and amulet being 1 slot, belts being 2 slots and a dagger being a 2 slot or 3 slot…

Grim Dawn implemented an automatically inventory/stash sort system button which is pretty smart tbh… could help with consoles as well and no need for tetris if you want…

2 Likes

Yep, autosort pretty much outplays the console argument

1 Like

Indeed… developers have to take a closer look to mechanics of other modern ARPGs as well geez…
But what bothers me the most is the fact that items look way too cartoony and not “real” in D3 and D4, unlike in D2 and PoE… its fascinating to look at the design and art style of weapons/armors/jewelry.

1 Like