Pls give back the tetris

I dont know if there was a topic about it already but ill say it again :v

Its not about having less inventory space
Just make it bigger then, lol

Its about atmosphere and authenticity
When a plate armor or a longbow takes the same space as a helmed or dagger, you are loosing the feeling for items
It all starts to become…i dont know
Just how i feel when i try to play D3
Its boring, it feels meaningless and just doesnt hook you
There is no value in anything
You cant FEEL the game

And yes, tetris is a part of this feeling

19 Likes

Personally, I don’t think tetris inventory is very clean.

5 Likes

Ofc its not clean :smiley:
The game isnt suposed to be eighter
The game should be dirty xD

I think thats the main point of arguing here in the forum
Some ppl want it rough, difficult, evil
And some just want it sleek, easy and simple

3 Likes

Please no.
This mechanic serves no purpose other than being frustrating AF.

30 Likes

Frankly, I’ve never been a fan of restrictive inventory systems in any form of RPG I’ve played. However, if we’re going to absolutely pick something to make the player’s life miserable in some fashion, I’d at least lean toward some kind of weight/encumberance system.

Instead of fighting over what slots to put things in, they’d instead have a numerical value that applies toward a total weight in your inventory. Exceeding a certain point can slow your movement speed and perhaps hinder other stats, with an eventual point where you can pick up nothing else without emptying something/everything out.

Ways to improve how much you can carry should exist within the game (and not just be tied to STR) like level, completing quests, downing permanent consumables, or a bag system that could confer beneficial effects like reducing the weight value of items. The goal should otherwise be when near the end of a character’s growth, they shouldn’t have to be worrying about town trips until the complete what they left town to do (within reason).

4 Likes

What else is frustrating to you?
Enemies that kill you? Certain uniques not dropping after an hour of farming? :smiley:

5 Likes

I’ve noticed you like to advocate for a lot of features that are not friendly to the player.

Have you been playing Diablo 2 recently, by chance? Personally, I think the game of inventory tetris is pretty awful. It used to have a certain feel to it, but in the modern age it feels much more like a forced feature. If it were in Diablo 4, it would feel like pointless pandering.

16 Likes

You dont seem to understand my point
When a battleaxe has the same size as a dagger, the game looks and feels like a mobile game
Its about making the game somewhat graspable
Not about making it restricting

Well i can just point out what i said above
Many ppl want games to be challenging
And some just want it to be an interactive slaughter movie after a hard day of work
Just relax and see demons explode
I do advocate for challenging things in games, true
Because it makes the game playable for a much longer time

But as i also said “just make the inventory bigger”
The most important part of a game for me is atmosphere
The game must be a credible world to dive in (ik its not credible, to carry around 4 plate armors and 4 2handed weapons in your backpack but you get my point)

9 Likes

I hate to say this, The reason they dissed the inventory terris is to have common inventory & make it easy for controller/gamepad. Remember the devs said controller support will be available on PC. Hence the inventory must work for both without much difference.

Every gear fits into every slot so there is not need to manually shift your gears, which is harder using controller.

Personally I want the D2 size to come back where chest armors & 2 handers took 6 slots, & have detailed artwork instead of the cartoony artwork of D3.

:frowning:
I must not say it, because i got muted for it before but
Quote Quin69: …consoles!!!

3 Likes

I think in an authentic (A)RPG not every part of the game is super convenient for the player. If you look at older titles, there were usually a lot of things, which seem not super “comfortable” for the player, but for me that’s part of the RPG feeling!

That being said, I would also like a tetris inventory, but I think the D2 inventory is not up to date anymore. Maybe just have 3 different sizes of items in the inventory, that would be the perfect system for me I guess.

4 Likes

2x3, 1x1, 1x3 if you say, 3 different ones

It’s important to remember that games are not actual simulations of real life. They take inspiration from real life, but there are some decisions in game design that are made because it’s simply not fun to do some things.

Managing your inventory is one of those things. It should be simple. The fun of the game is in filling up your inventory while killing demons, then looking through it to find upgrades. Worrying about having enough bag space for this item, or having to move that around so you can get one extra square to accommodate the long sword that just dropped isn’t fun. Some games have an algorithm to automatically optimize your inventory, but those systems have many flaws. Ultimately, simplifying it the way D3 does makes the entire process of looting faster and smoother, so you don’t have to think about this inane and boring thing, and can spend you time thinking about your build.

Tetris is something you might put into a slower game. With turn-based games, for example, you have the time to manage this sort of thing. Think table top D&D. It becomes part of the fantasy. Loot is rare. When you get it, you evaluate it right there and decide what to put in your pack, figure out bag space, and item weight, etc. But I’d guess that most ARPG players don’t want to mess with this stuff. They want this rather mundane task on autopilot.

2 Likes

Since the inventory units are quite high, I would suggest the following:
1x1 (rings and stuff), 2x1 (shields, armors), 1x2 (long weapons).

No^^
Probably d3 players want this
But not arpg players
But hey i mentioned polls
They could answer so many questions :stuck_out_tongue:
There are ppl who enjoy minigames in games
Card games, gambling for money, solving puzzles
Hell, i dont want to imagine ppl like you, when you have so solve a puzzle in a game
“Uuuuugh get it away from mee i just want to kill stuuuuuff”
Games can offer so much more than just the surface that you casual plebs are surfing on with your xbox (sry for getting salty)

1 Like

You can have it on autopilot with an auto-sort botton. And actually in Diablo good loot should also be rare, not like in D3. And D1 and D2 were a lot slower than D3, just as D4 will be again. So I don’t see a reason, why a tetris inventory is even “not a fun thing”. If you use an auto-sort botton, it doesn’t even make a difference, when it comes to the time you have to spend in your inventory.

But it has the advantage, that you have to think about what you take with you, considering size vs value. These are no things, which are hard to think about, or a big challenge, but it keeps you brain working while playing, which I prefer to brain-afk “the game does everything for me”. That seems to be a generic problem to me with newer RPGs. They are providing too much comfort to the player, which makes it arcade-ish.

Ermmm, can we stop fanboying D2 at any cost and instead, use some reason ?:thinking:

Things like is EXACTLY why was/(and still am) “afraid” of the mob rule

To quote Winston (not the Monkey, the senior one), don’t be accept the world as it is, instead dare it to what it could be… Aand that’s (kinda) sadly what the “mob rule” wouldn’t…, aand yes nostalgia can brings topic like this back

Next-up C*…, well we all know but I won’t bring it up cause surely someone else will lol :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think this is good, but have the armor/weapon enlarge when equipped so we can enjoy the artwork. I missed the nice artwork of gears in D2.

3 Likes

Well, that is, what we are actually doing… I can’t even see one post in here, being unrational nostalgia, but all of them being reasoned arguments, why we want this system back.

I bet you haven’t even read the posts, but just saw the title of the thread, otherwise I could not understand, how you post something so unrelated.

3 Likes

I read the whole OP and the next several posts before I posted, no ofense but it is what it is, fanboying at any cost cause of nostalgia reasons… No ofense, can’t read the whole slew of 42 posts before I actually pick a point y know :thinking:

And yes, that’s EXACTLY what I say it is that it is, D2 fanboying at any costs… Wanna proof ?, watch this lol:

While at it let’s bring back charms :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes