Pls give back the tetris

Ah yes, another ancient game when times were different and players time was not well respected. I get it, I loved the sacred games. Hated the inventory Tetris. Even with an auto organize button or the game automatically doing so. I’m fine with a 1 size system or even the 2 size system of D3. If anything give me at minimum a sort/organize button like in Grim Dawn.

3 Likes

Players time? :v
You can decide to play a game without items and inventory if thats more worth your time :slight_smile:

Yeah i know some good old arcade games like that where you just equip one weapon and then throw it away after a few times of use like final fight, cadillacs and dinasaurs, warriors of fate, alien vs predator, the punisher, captain commando the list goes on lol.

Good :smiley:
Then, D3 fanboiz if the game gets boring and u need something else, heres ur man!

No thanks. I don’t like spending most of the time teleport back to town to sell/store/salvage the items instead of killing monsters.

Currently, even with 2 slot for armor and weapon, it still feel pretty fast to get my inventory full in D3.

1 Like

Thats because the drop rate is way too high in D3
Ur not supposed to be full of greens and golds after 10 min. of playing

3 Likes

Yeah, I think a lot of folks opinions are calibrated by the most recent installment D3, some are more D2 centric. Heck we don’t even know what will break down to mats yet! We just assume.

Salvaged materials are bad design.
Every item should be an ingredient for crafting and part of a recipe.
In d2 there is no crafting materials, because all the items are already crafting materials. (from town portals, to arrows and jewels, whites etc). All.

• The lowest gems are required to assemble the highest runes.
  • Even at high level, some decent low level items can drop to encourage replayability

It’s like the balance of life in a jungle, each specie plays a role and interacts with the others. Ants, trees, mushrooms, carnivores, bees, bacterias.
Every player wherever he farms can have a role in the economy.

3 Likes

Thats a good point
I love “offline stores” in mmorpgs like L2
Ppl selling and buying mats and more expensive items for crafting etc.
Searching the marked (ingame!)
Is a very fun kind of minigame

Theres a nice function in Torchlight 1 & 2 where you can just send your pet to sell gear while you adventure and it comes back in one min…

If you have mounts in D4 and/or even some sort of mercenary like in D2 you could send him with horse/mount for him to sell your gear and he comes back like in torchlight… it works similar in Dota2 with a courier to buy items and the courier delivers you the bought items…
Use your head and/or creativity people please.

Or just leave it on the ground…i mean, when do you actually need the gold?
I would prefer a game where u need it but then, its faster to just keep killing and picking up gold instead of selling trash

First off, it is unbelievably arrogant to come to the diablo 3 forums and tell diablo 3 fans that diablo games aren’t for them so please leave. Shame on you.

I played and enjoyed diablo 2. I play and enjoy diablo 3. Both games have their merits. Inventory tetris is and has been terrible game design in every game it has been implemented in. There is no such thing as a half-way point on realism. Something is either realistic or it isn’t. And no matter how you dress it up, it will never be realistic to carry around dozens of items. But you need to be able to do that in loot hunt games, so you make allowances. Once you accept that you see inventory tetris for what it is: a waste of time. The logic of it doesn’t even make sense: bigger items take up more of your unrealistically large storage space? Why is my imaginary storage space limited at all? if I fill my storage space with rings and amulets, why is that the same encumbrance as carrying around 10+ full plate armor pieces? Where exactly was that tiny bug demon hiding a 6’ staff?

As to the salvage issue, that is an easy fix. If salvaging remains something that needs to be in the game (and I don’t think it should be handled the same as in d3) and you do want to bring back inventory tetris (again, why?!?) then just make the bigger items salvage into more materials. That way it isn’t strictly optimal to load up on tiny items.

4 Likes

I mean, take two D4 inv slots horizontally aligned… fits the form of mosts shields the best among all combinations of 1-3 of these inv slots.

That is plain wrong… a statement can, in general, be true or wrong, given an assumption. So here assuming the inventory is as big as it is, further details about it can be more or less realistic, which I do not state to have an ideally objective measurement for.

All I am saying is, if there are items of different sizes, then it is more realistic ofc, if this fact is also reflected in its size in the inventory.

And “a waste of time” is just a bad argument, because of auto-sorting. Different sizes just give the player more choices to make, which IMO is always better in an RPG.

1 Like

I didn’t mean waste of time as in it will cost the player time to deal with, i meant waste of time as in it does not add anything to the player experience. If autosort is a thing, then implementing different sizes accomplishes nothing from a gameplay perspective. I don’t know what choices you think it forces, if the material gain from larger items matches their larger size, you aren’t choosing to sacrifice anything by keeping bigger items. If it doesn’t match their size, then bigger items are always a bad choice unless they are a direct upgrade for you. (or valuable in trading if trading is a thing) But, if the item represents a direct upgrade or valuable trading commodity, its size is irrelevant to the decision to keep it.

I also made a lot of trip return to town to sell those gears in D2 because those items took a lot space to do so.

1 Like

Well, then just make some types of big items more valuable as others. That’s how it was in D2 and I think it makes sense.

You have to decide, which items you pick up and which not, as long as you have a finite inv. Different item sizes just give this decision making a tiny bit more depth. If you go with that philosophy through out the design of the game, it will add a lot more depth and hence makes it to something, I can actually not play brain AFK like D3.

That’s a consequence of a basic aspect of (A)RPGs… everything you have is limited, you have to spend your resources wisely to optimize your gameplay.

If the game optimizes your resource spending already, you will end up with a flat game, lacking on RPG elements.

A great part of the fun of most RPGs comes from the feeling to want more than you have. If you have a full inventory, you want more space. But you don’t get it and thus you have to make decisions, which is actually a good thing, because it’s exactly the feeling of being not satisfied with your current character situation, which makes you go on and improve. (In that case you will try to improve, by making the better decision between going on and kill more monsters, or going back to town and sell stuff)

I think as a general rule you can even say, an RPG for its longevity needs inconveniences for the player, which raise the feeling of having to optimize and going on. In a few newer ARPGs, the dev teams seem to completely reduce that to loot. But actually there are soo many subtle optimization processes you can make in older RPGs, or e.g. PoE.

Nope. I will just teleport back to sell those items. Zero decision making there especially when you need the crafting mat or gold.

Funny for you to say that when PoE sold stashes for real money.

1 Like

Not in conflict with what I said…

Well, I often go on, because I think it is way more efficient to be faster and replace some of the stuff in your inventory by probably more valuable items.

And you know what, maybe your strategy is better, I didn’t do the math, but there are two different strategies already, which give diversity and depth to the game with such a super simple mechanic in the game, which otherwise just misses.