Please don't change Etched Sigil

Clearly you miss-read my post. I said “How many of you…” , not “All of you…”.

Thanks!

The etched sigil change is not a nerf. Clearly it makes twister build a bit stronger (albeit barely). Our problem with it is that it destroyed two good builds without giving anything back. I have no problem whatsoever in removing channeling builds, but give something back so that we can play with those two skills. Add the general stagnation of wizard class, chantodo nerf when all classes have now a better performing builds and the unbelievably clunky mechanics our sets have (and keep getting worse)… yes we are disappointed.

That’s why I’m asking, what’s your point?

1 Like

The Etched Sigil is one of the most wonderful items in D3. I can’t believe they will turn it into such a mediocre, forgettable piece of crap.

6 Likes

You’re free to check my profile, but I’ve never asked for nerfs for any other class. On the other hand, I occasionally ask for buffs for other classes (not frequently, as I don’t play other classes much so I wouldn’t know what needs buffing).

3 Likes

Who is to say that blizzard doesn’t have other balancing ideas for future patches. In the same way there focus for wizard this patch seems to be around hydras, twisters and frozen orb. They can do meteor, Black hole, ect focus in a future patch.

Well… this change turns several working builds (e.g. Channel Meteor) into an incapacitated state, thus effectively removing them from game. It’s not that they deal less damage now. They literally NO longer deal any damage, because the necessary mechanic (autocast) has been castrated and turned from completely open to all spender into a restricted single-spender (Twister) state…

If you ask me, that’s the very definition of a nerf. Doesn’t matter if they increase Twister in the process, when everything else is dead afterwards.

Otherwise, yes… I can only agree.

True enough, but they should have done so right away. For example, Tal Rasha… this set is in a semi-dead state. How about simply reducing the internal Meteor cooldown and upping the six piece buff and the buff on Grand Vizier? Would have left LoD/LoN in the dust, but at least we’d have something for Meteor. Instead they destroyed this completely.

3 Likes

Then it would’ve been better for them to inform wizard players on this. If they inform wizards that they have further plans to buff many of our arcane spenders in future patches, then while the etched sigil’s change would’ve still been disappointing, it’d at least give Wizard’s the semblance that the developers aren’t just making these changes willy-nilly and may in fact have a plan (although I’d probably still be a bit doubtful regarding their choice of skill with etched sigil). However they’ve done no such thing.

Besides, if our future patches are going to contain the same amount of content as this one is, then it’ll be a while before they touch wizards again as there are still a number of other classes who haven’t received much attention. So Wizards are probably going to be in this marred state for a while.

1 Like

Please do change Etched Sigil. Every top wiz build is channelling. It’s boring and we can do better for wiz.

1 Like

You…out. jk!

But try to appreciate the situation for a minute. Take your favorite build for your favorite class, actually think of it in your mind… Now imagine that there’s a group of players who says “we want other ways to play, this playstyle is too common” and then the Devs change an item that makes this build, your favorite, unplayable.

We’re not nerfing bazooka, here. It’s not like anything using etched Sigil was over performing. They just decided to break 4-5 builds to boost 1…by a tiny bit. That’s the opposite of choice. That’s bad for the game.

10 Likes

Why didn’t they simply make a new Source like the Witch Doctor?
Seems pretty logical. Yes, I understand the Bazooka issues but what about the other builds that get trashed by this one not-so-well-thought-out move ??

EDIT:
As an example, Firebirds was already in need of an upgrade and by doing this, the best achieving Firebirds build is trashed along with several other Rasha’s builds.

2 Likes

Agreed. Etched Sigil has an unique mechanic and the new one is too generic.

There are so many sources that doesn’t have legendary power can be used for the new Etched Sigil mechanic.

Leave the Etched Sigil alone and give the new “Etched Sigil” to other legendary sources.

5 Likes

Ok, here you go:

https://eu.diablo3.com/en-us/profile/Prometheus-2318/hero/49268115

In fairness, this is my non-PTR Wizard.

The build I used in PTR 2.6.10 is almost identical, with the exception that Skill Slot 2 uses Slow Time. Also, my PTR Wizard is now around only Paragon 800 or so, and while all equipped items are ancient, only 2 of them have been augmented. Already pushing GR100.

My non-PTR Wizard linked above only managed to get to GR105 with Paragon 1500+ (long after season ended) while using the original Etched Sigil. When I emulated the new version by replacing Blizzard in Skill Slot 2 with Energy Twister, I was able to jump up to GR110.

From the looks of things, I’m pretty much alone in my support of the changes made to Etched Sigil. Regardless, I’m excited to try the new version of Etched Sigil when 2.6.10 goes live in Season 22.

It may not provide me with the means to get onto the leader boards (which hold no interest for me anyway), it does provide the means for me to achieve in a season time span what I’ve only ever managed to do in non-season play.

P.S. The only thing I am mad about, however, is that now I have to search all over again for a Primal version of it. It took me forever to find the one I have now!

That is, in fact, wrong. Apart from the set sources, there is only one legendary item without legendary power right now - Singularity (craftable)… all the other legendary sources already have a legendary effect (not saying those are good/usable, though).

Now, regarding a source for Energy Twister - one thing first: I’m not really fond of having the Twisted Sigil effect on a different source. That doesn’t make sense, since the result would be having two items with literally the same mechanic, and that’s even more moronic. In that case they should just leave Etched Sigil alone and buff Twister through the other items.

Anyhow, please don’t misunderstand - I’m not against a new source dedicated to Energy Twister, far from it… I would love to see different sources with viable options for our spenders. But they should offer something new/different, not just cloning an existing item. I suggested something along that in the Feedback topic some days ago:

If they gave us something like that, I’d gladly play with it.

2 Likes

I made a thread that gives a list of many simple changes that could be made to make wizards better while leaving ES intact.
The items changes would allow the following skills to be used effectively:

• Disintegrate
  • Arcane Torrent
  • Ray of Frost
  • Blizzard
  • Black hole
  • Wave of Force
  • Electrocute
  • Magic Missile
  • Signature Spells

The chance for Blizzard to be good would be fun here are the item changes:

Storm Crow
Blizzard damage is increased by [200 - 300]% and now deals its entire duration in damage each second.

Winter Flurry
Enemies killed by Cold damage have a 50% chance to release a Frost Nova that freezes enemies for [4 - 5] seconds. Blizzard deals 500-750% increased damage and slows enemies movement by 90%.

Blackhand Key
Blizzard damage is increased by [500 - 750]% and gains the effect of all runes. Subsequent Blizzard casts can now stack.

Rimeheart
Cold damage is increased by [300 - 400]% and has a [40 - 50]% to freeze enemies for [4 - 5] seconds.

Here is that thread:

2 Likes