Phalanx/Condemn Notes 2.7.4

Is Stricken working for Akkhan-Phalanx-Condemn build?
I was working the build but observe neither phalanx hits nor condemn hits – stacking. The hp% loss of single RG was consistent per hit (any).

Can anyone confirm or seeing same phenomenon - BoS not stacking?
Cheers.

I was using the setup they advise on Maxroll and the build didn’t feel powerful nor fun to play. Many thanks for this set up cuz I find it much funnier and more powerful now! As I wasn’t on the PTR, I am still familiarizing with it but I’ve just cleared a gr 130 in 10’51 with >3800 parangons in EU in two keys.

There are a few things I don’t know/understand about the build:

• Why do we use an Amu and Bracers in Holy while we use no skill is Holy?
  • How do you make it to survive at my level of parangons with F&R? I am getting crushed with these, so I’m using CoE and Unity instead.
  • What’s Punish/Celerity for, exactly? Building survivability through block chances + AS for Shield Bearers? Stacking Stricken because Shield Bearers don’t?
  • Finally, may I ask your opinion between these two shields?

https://imgur.com/a/bkuYSMX

The ancient one has only 50% increased Phalanx Damage but Increases damage vs elites by 8%, while the primal ancient one has Vitality instead of 8% damage to elites but it has a 60% bonus to Phalanx…

Anyway, looking forward to watching your video!

@ Taromis : congrats on your gr 137! How do you make it to survive at this tier with F&R at 3700 parangons?

First of all, as always, thanks for your response. Now, regarding higher paragon pulling anything off, perhaps once I learn to play the build better…until then, no, I am not pulling off anything but my own demise. At the moment I feel like I am missing a Unity ring somewhere. My death rate is appalling. And, mind you, my build details are identical to yours essentially. I think my disengage protocol is based on my H-Bomb behavior. As H-Bomb is more sturdy I, thus, am paying in blood for reckless behavior.

I’m at GR148 in 13:08 probably ~20 keys invested between the previous GR147 clear. My highest Marauder clear so far was GR146 in 14:18, about 50 keys invested, with some room to go higher, granted I’m not using Yang’s on that build.

Stricken is primarily stacked through melee with Punish, don’t expect your Phalanx to automatically stack it. You have to keep meleeing your target. I recommend doing this while fighting elites too.

1 Like

I have footage of the GR148 clear to help see what I’m doing. I’m going to do some quick edits, then publish on YouTube. Overall it is similar to Bombardment in that you constantly feed your Phalanx trash. The trash count is essentially a damage multiplier. More trash equals more Condemns equals more lag. You are succeeding if you lag your game… and survive…

RE1 (Amu and Bracers): Condemn, when no rune is applied, is a Holy explosion, hence Holy bonuses on your items.
RE2 (survive at my level of paragons with F&R): A fantastic question for both of us! CoE + Unity is definitely one option. Using Smite w/Reaping rune is another. You get extra healing if you are using Holy Weapon passive, as Smite/Reaping is a Holy attack…then, it gives you yet another bonus of circa 25K health per second. Additionally, you can disengage and continue attacking at range (it has a 30 yard reach), which should aid survivability.
RE3 (Punish/Celerity): Primary purpose is to stack Stricken. A side bonus is the extra blocking, which absorbs a bit of damage.
RE4 (your two shields): Both are good…very similar. I would go with the one that has vitality for now (mine has identical stats to yours). Defense - and thus survivability - takes precedence, in my book, over that extra pinch of damage vs elites.

1 Like

Sweet! Please, please post.

I will farm until then and keep my eye on this thread on my other screen.

Quick question: did anyone test whether or not the FotH Sanctified Power stacks Stricken? Didn’t bother to test this in PTR, but can be some QOL if this is the case.

Thanks for confirming phalanx / condemn are not stacking BoStricken. You/others may have mentioned this aspect on ptr post(s).

Tried/Tested both shields. Wearing Unrelenting offhand makes dps more visible aka ‘better/higher’. Sheet Phalanx dmg increase is 2._ x times.
On a sidenote, Warhelm Kassar does NOT increase Sheet PHalanx.
Frydehr’s Shield boost sheet Condemn damage by 1/3 x times for comparison.

1 Like

I tried a xp 120 build with horsie to drag trash around & cubed strongarms. Only sucky time is solo boss fight w/o pylon. Best i could do was 4:25. Doesnt feel like it was built for speeds.

It definitely can’t be a speed build in the upper GRs. There definitely is a ceiling since the damage is contingent on Judging enemies, and that forces you to get off your horse.
I tested Baleful Remnant instead of Unrelenting Phalanx since it gives theoretically more pets to proc Condemn, and consistently got 30-60sec faster time with 35k Str and 1.6k paragon but only until around GR105. Anything north, Bowmen/Shieldbearers work better.

Many thanks for all your answers, Harnor!

So I’ve put on the primal shield, changed Punish/Celerity for Smite/Reaping (my first time with this skill, if memory serves) and opened a gr 131. It was the worst map ever but it was just for a quick test so I stayed in. And at my utmost surprise, I finally cleared it with a bad boss and no pylon in… 14’59’949… with my first primal Flail of the Charge in prime! ^^ https://imgur.com/a/TZDmtCH

I only died a couple of times vs 4 or 5 times with Punish/Celerity in gr 130, so that really makes my life easier. If I get it right, the drawback of using Smite/Reaping instead of Punish/Celerity, is only losing the 15% AS bonus chance provided by Celerity to stack Stricken, is that right?

I’ve noticed that you use Slash/Zeal: is this because you want a pure offensive bonus (Slash/Zeal provides more AS than Punish/Celerity?) and you do not need the extra blocking of Punish/Celerity?

Do you think it is worth bumping a skill to pick up the archangels for the season?

Depends how stinky they are. Ideally they’d help take down the Rift Guardian.

Correct. Punish/Celerity for max aggression; Smite/Reaping for a more defensive approach.

Slash/Zeal is my preferred variant to Punish/Celerity. This comes in handy when fighting multiple elites, so I can target them all at once. Alternately, in a crowd, when I can’t even see the elite, I can just hose the zone directly in front of me. Also, Slash/Zeal is a Holy attack, so it provides additional healing. By the way, in my experience, the extra healing from Slash/Zeal is more effective defensively, then the effect from Slash/Guard (and your AS gets a 10% bonus as a byproduct).

All the technical notes aside, congrats and on your finish and on the lucky primal drop.

1 Like

Thanks again for the explanations! I must confess I had never gotten into the technicalities of the left click skills. I’ll soon try Slash/Zeal on this build to fully grab and remember the difference!

Congrats R2 148. Hope you clear 150 soon :smile:

Here is the Video of the GR148 Clear
With a few more gameplay tips…

I also gave this build a new name to make it faster to type out.

A6 Phalcon > A6 Phalanx / Condemn

2 Likes

Nice vid! I have to really practice the gameplay loop more often in a pushing scenario. I also hope down the line, we get some better single target buffs to this build. Running Falling Sword for Angels seems like a must for the RG in the upcoming season. I’m also hoping Kassar gets fixed so we get extra cooldown and damage.

Grats, can you put a sticky on it? We need some stickies up in here.