Personal VS FFA Loot in D2

Can’t wait for all the black market sites advertising 1$ SOJs, and for games to be filled with bots using autoclickers to farm loot for those sites.

1 Like

It’ll be like trying to buy a graphics card these days, auto-gone.

1 Like

Nothing would change in that scenario with personal loot, confused about why you typed that, or at least nothing about $1 sojs, bots will just fill up full 8 man games and run without people, still selling their good on the market but now it’s harder for stronger humans to support low level characters because the rewards been diminished.

Hell these bot’s can now come into your game, and auto leech whatever chars x bots they got going. You guy’s are literally making this easier for botters, especially if any personal loot changes to drop chances need to be put in.

That’s an interesting idea for a bot. Kind of creepy. Bots generally have amazing gear though. These would be zombie bots with lower level gear that follow people around haha. Let’s just all hope they are able to prevent the bots from ruining the game.

1 Like

Simple solution, move closer, risk death for reward just like the melee character.

That’s my worry, making things easier without weighting the risk reward, you could now easily program a bot to follow a character, load them up defense gear, and change the odds of any game they enter against the human, with little to no programming, they don’t even need to click for items, just watch the screen to see what drops.

As you know Blizzard is known to send out confidential questionnaires to its players. I do not know of the specifics relative to early D3 development, in terms of whether D2 players were surveyed by Blizzard. It would not surprise me if they were.

Considering that D3 went personal loot, I assume if they asked D2 players that a significant majority preferred personal loot over FFA. If the the vast majority of D2 players wanted FFA moving forward, D3 most likely would have also been FFA.

This is speculation, but intuitively makes sense to me.

4 Likes

this sounds right about like diablo 2. with FFA loot, hey man lvl up a sorcerer and teleport around scoping up the loot before anyone else can catch it.
Oh you have left your entire inventory open for loot and just stay in range while others kill everything? cool free loot for you!

with personal loot the leechers would not be able to steal as much, since they would only see 1/8 of the loot in a 8 man group.

3 Likes

“this sounds right about like diablo 2. with FFA loot, hey man lvl up a sorcerer and teleport around scoping up the loot before anyone else can catch it.”

If you are in games where a a sorc is running around stealing all kills, you can do the same in a personal game, or is this sorc doing all the work and your not leeching fast enough. Can you not kill on your own, is this sorc thief your friend. If your strong enough in Diablo 2 to kill your own guys in Hell, your getting drops, if your always your friends weak player, sure I can see about complaining about drops.

“Oh you have left your entire inventory open for loot and just stay in range while others kill everything? cool free loot for you!”

Your actually making it worse, these bag open fools now don’t even need to try and get the item, they always get 12.5% of your items no matter what, no effort applied, you guys never address that, besides hey get a new party, but that works in shared too, again advice you never listen to.

“with personal loot the leechers would not be able to steal as much, since they would only see 1/8 of the loot in a 8 man group.”

They will now always steal 12.5% of everything, and if you don’t i include random whites with good sockets, or any of the other stuff that hits the ground someone could want, again you don’t know how to play Diablo 2, or at least you don’t want to play the game as it is, and has always been.

See:
Stop Asking For Personal Loot - Diablo II: Resurrected / General Discussion - Diablo 3 Forums (blizzard.com)

It all boils down to whether players think a leecher (or pickit hacker) receives more or less than 12.5% of loot in an 8 player game (or at least the “good” loot). You think it will be less, other think it is more. We know definitely it will be 0%-100%.

Some of us played D2. FFA loot in multiplayer games drove many of us to play mostly solo.

1 Like

I also factor in how Diablo 2 is played, sure people could self drive themselves up from 0-24, level up and get to 40, finish content, level up to 60+, finish content, self level their way up. If you have played Diablo 2 that is not at all how this will go for the majority of players, they will be rushed in one form or another, and without weighing those drops, you are destroying that part of the game. You can choose to ignore all the ramifications to every other aspect to how D2 plays, but I thought this game was supposed to be like it was before, personal would dramatically change it.

sight, i wont even bother with this anymore.

luckily there is people getting paid for making decisions

Since many players want to skip the leveling process by being rushed, we should design the game around those who seek the easy path and do not work. This seems counter-intuitive to me. Do you want players to work for their gear and leveling or do you want players to skip this process? In D2 by playing predominantly solo, I earned my levels and gear. I did not have someone else carry me thought the game.

1 Like

That is Diablo 2, that has always been Diablo 2, once you get one guy to hell and start getting gear, it is inefficient and stupid to not want your others getting the same possible drops. Did we have 20 cap PVP chars, or side games we setup, sure.

I have absolutely no reason (or any strong character) to rush or help out someone lower compared to before, they now are gauratneed XP, free ride, 12.5% of my drops, or 50% if I am solo rushing.

How do you not see how this game played vs how you will change it, sure is that something you personally disliked, but it was Diablo2, it one of many aspects that came together to make a great game that still is remembered.

Here is your problem and why personal loot will never happen in D2:R. it’s do this change, oh and also do this change to fix a problem you created with the first change.
But by the way, the way it was worked for over 20 years and still has people grouping etc, so yeah write a fix for a fix for a problem which doesn’t exist.

I’ll add to this, how do you account for MF and personal loot. If I have 300 mf and kill a mob, but its your turn for loot but you have 0 mf. So now the game has to check whose turn and their mf over the mf of the killing blow.
The is a tonne of extra work on systems that don’t need to change

There are different ways that games handle MF in multiplayer games.

So that is how D2 currently deals with it. Other games with personally loot take the D2 model or do different things. Several distiinct examples are (assuming in close proximity, etc…)

1. each monster killed will result in item drops being rolled for each player separately
  2. each monster killed takes the total MF into account when rolling item drops for each player separately
  3. each monster kills takes an average MF into account when rolling item drops for each player separately
  4. Got rid of MF or made it largely irrelevant and just give a MF bonus based on number of players in close proximity when a kill is made

The problem with MF in these multiplayer scenarios is how do you balance MF players tend to do less killing and are there just to buff drop rates/item quality while being carried by DPS characters.

You balance damage/MF until you can maximize both, this game is about steps to progress not being handed everything.

You know why PoE doesn’t care about handing out loot, just throwing everything at anyone, they don’t care about items. They make money on your microtransactions, they could probably care less if they handed you everything if it meant you could then buy stuff to make them pretty. Hey I found this uber bow, gonna buy some flashy effects, oh dam a super sword, gonna need it in red. I know just me babbling but that’s what I hear when you compare D2 to PoE.

2 Likes

Use a passworded game, play w friends.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that’s what we will have to do. My friends have kids! Lol Maybe there will be a trust worthy clan to join. Or a special loot options in the future that prevents greedy seagulls so we can play with strangers.

1 Like