Patterns of Justice - SW/TR new set feed back

Opening a centralised feedback thread for PTR testing results and ideas for improvement. Havent done any maths atm. First look seems bit disappointing though.

To me; not enough.
They are giving us a fast cleaning build, and a small buff to wave of light with new vengeful wind, but nothing for survivability… seriously Blizzard, in later GRs evasion is not enough.
We would need tons of life or new redesing of defensive skills (Blinding Flash, Breath of Heaven, Serenity, Inner Sanctuary) to avoid being one-shot.

1 Like

I think it’ll be good for a speed build, though I think it may have worked better with tying in cyclone strike, since the set wants large groups.
It’ll be tricky to stay alive with pushing since there’s no damage reduction in it, and you need the mobs close. The eye of the storm power will help a little with the RG.
I think it new vengeful wind is going to push the Suni wol above Inna’s, but wol is still going to be the pushing build.

I forgot one thing…
TR with epiphany is annoying, I love to play tempest rush, but my main cause of death the being teleported into an explosion because desire me going away I get teleported back to the door with the explosion.

I’m curious how the damage from SW will be calculated with all the runes. Will each runes damage be added together and then multiplied by the 6 piece set bonus and the new VW buff and other multipliers or will each damage type get multiplied by all appropriate multipliers individually? The 6 piece bonus of 101x plus the new VW of 3x to SW plus 13x from 13 stacks is pretty significant for 2 bonuses and depending on how TR increases the size of SW, it could be pretty powerful. Plus you can still potentially use Squirt’s and Focus & Restraint plus CoE will always be buffing one of the runes of damage since SW has all 5 runes.

how do you get that out of 10k%?

10,000% additional is 10,100% (you still do your original 100% damage) which is 101x as long as the set bonus is a seperate multiplier like they usually are.

1 Like

Precedant of all runes are picking highest damage rune as highest damage and elemental type base on rune on bar. So thats 415% only. Question is whether vw is additive to the belt or multiplicative. I am leaning towards multi based on Precedant. 2 multipliers + 100+% additive still missing a multiplier. This set gonna be speed only, wont rock wol’s pushing dominance.

Eye of storm is a joke. Under what circumstances do we hit single enemy only?? Only those single target rg, the application is so narrow. 30% lightning % probably need to cost a ring slot. I am curious what pcs the set occupies. They better give us an amulet otherwise its hard to dual equip hexing/mantle + cater for lack of defense (apd option from frozen rune).

This bonus belongs to swk. The new set should be tempest rush based, not as an utility too.

There’s too much overlap with Sunwuko TR variant to justify having both sets. With Sunwuko, you run around channeling TR while it does all the damage and sweeping wind does nothing. With the new set, you run around channeling TR while it does nothing, and instead sweeping wind does all the damage. Tomato, Tomato. What’s the point? You’re doing the same thing; which one is better will simply come down to the numbers (and are highly subject to adjustment).

I’m just tired of all these kinds of gimmicks - the kind where it’s, “use this skill that does nothing, otherwise your hero stops working.” I just don’t know what the design philosophy is behind it either. It seems like they are trying to make sets more interesting or interactive by adding some kind of combo element to them. Problem is that the “combo” is rarely anything that is interesting but rather something along of the lines of “press this button every X seconds”.

I’d prefer that they would have done either one of two things. The first, make TR a bit more “tactical” like how it used to be in it’s original form (seen here: Diablo III: Monk Gameplay - YouTube). Perhaps have the increased radius of sweeping wind a passive set bonus. Then, while channeling tempest rush, significantly decrease its radius, increase its damage, and reflect ranged attacks. Thus the playstyle would be to alternate between strafing enemies in a wide swath and concentrating damage on key targets like elites.

The second, gone all in on SWK TR by adding a blind effect to sweeping wind, allowing a consistent way to proc the bracers. Basically, think of sweeping wind as becoming a mobile cord of sherma effect. It fits the theme of the skill of a swirling dust storm impacting the enemies’ vision while enabling the build.

Right now it juts feels like a second attempt at the Sunwuko TR playstyle that doubles down on game mechanic gimmicks (which they should be working to remove entirely, not add to).

3 Likes

Exactly… they should just add sweeping wind to SWK… Remove TR and bring it onto new set. Thats more logical.

1 Like

We can also use Kyoshiro’s belt, for something other than training wheels too.

Another 120% multiplier.

Well, 2 supporting items and a set with a 101x multiplier. How can it ever beat any of the other builds? I mean it simply looks like a speed build set but our problem is far from speed builds. Where is some improvement of high grift without unity? Whats the deal with buffing ltk / tr / gen / uli ? Some epi based set would be more logical and of course what you suggested: Wind to swk (or tr to new set) with a cc mechanic or just remove the need of cc the enemy for full dmg. It looks like an absolutely useless set. Seems no dev ever played a monk. I did a thread with so many needed improvements and even the lift of any build to wol potential (+ more dmg for competing with other classes). Looks like blizz really does not want monks to be active. Pity that I lack paragon for going to gen monk. Would be an option to test. But even here I think the missing ability to supress cc effects is just crap - so switch to the better gen build (ltk)? No way to compete with WoL.

1 Like

Exactly. The last thing we need is speed build. Most of the feedback i read is the lack of diversity aside from any forms of WoL for how many patches now??. You have R6 Gen / U5+3 EP but those have more limitations than the more generic WoL spec.

The request for TR was a channeling AOE build capable for solo push. Rather they give us something thats 435% wd to compete with 830%.

SWK is buffed as a result. Its so ironic to see SW is crucial on SWK builds, now has a weapon that increases its damage by 300% yet the god damn skill is exempt from the biggest multiplier - SWK set bonuses. Are we in April?

Anyway… we need to push for this set to swap the buffing skill from SW to TR with SWK. Its more logical / centralized.

Lets make sure we got Nev’s attention on this.

3 Likes

The new set revolves around the idea of wind, so combining Sweeping Wind and Tempest Rush into one set seems okay.

But the set really needs some damage reduction.
I hope the set is not just going to be for speed content.

That skill from that video that you are referring to as the “Tempest Rush in its original form” is not Tempest Rush, but a skill called “Impenetrable Defense”, which was removed before the D3 beta started. It was a purely defensive skill, unlike Tempest Rush, which is a damage dealing resource spending skill.

But what is cool about that video is that is still shows the old detonation animation for Exploding Palm, which was an explosion of blood and not this weird AoE swirl that it has right now. The old one looked much cooler. I wish they would bring it back.

1 Like

This set lacks of damage compared to WoL and has no damage mitigation… I will wait to see it working and test a couple of things before giving a more extensive opinion but I can almost ensure you that this set will receive loads of buffs in next seasons, just to maintain us tuned.

just an idea but it feels like the set will deal less dmg than innas or lon version of tr / sw build. even swk seems to do more dmg with tr, not with sw.
also the missing dmg reduction is simply bs.
the set is a real pain,but probably a good thing since we do not have enough storage space :wink:
someone else in german forum calculated round about 30% of wol dmg. swk and this set should be merged and the new set should be built around maybe epi or some if you stack harf defense you deal an amount of it as dmg (like thrones but with simple defense numbers)

Exactly, any grandma with common sense will know how ridiculously stupid this set is. The community demanded TR set, personally i dont like TR that much, but it offers good diversity for a channeling spec on Monk. We got TR except its a movement skill?? Sweeping Wind fits with SWK more. VW is a staple SWK weapon yet the bonus skill does not buffed by the set. Swapping SW with TR from SWK to new yet brings more synergy.

Maybe they designed to use hybrid with SWK. We ll see on PTR what kind of mix/match can be done. Probably wasting time, we dont need aother t16 bd.

1 Like

Lack of mitigation is a bit worrying but the damage might be reasonable.

SW damage: 145% * number of stacks
Set: 10000% damage buff
Vengeful Wind: 200-250% damage buff, 10 extra SW stacks
Eye of the Storm: double damage against single targets
Kyoshiro’s Soul: 100-125% damage buff (normal affix)

At maximum stacks SW deals 1885% base damage per second. Are those extra damage modifiers enough to make it comparable to other sets/builds? Remains to be seen. Also the exact numbers can still change, that’s why there’s a PTR to test these.

2 Likes

I am ruling out EoS. 13/25 RG is pure single target RG. Some others can be properly managed, but the usage still low comparing giving this slot to SWK helm. Biggest usage for EoS is 30% Lightning, subject to all runes actual mechanic (whether cyclone takes 435% as its base damage oppose to 95%).

DR can be semi solved by swk 2pc, depending how well the synergy is.

and wehre is the 80% reduction ring all other classes have?

4 Likes