New Rumor/Leak - D2 Remaster

We have some more news on this:
https://diablo.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diablo-ii-resurrected-needed-by-mac-players

3 days ago Actugaming editor-in-chief confirmed "Soon".
https://twitter.com/Flamb744/status/1346300244284338177

I just got back into D2 (playing the Druid, got into Act 2) and I have to say that I change my mind about wanting a remaster or retooled or reanything D2. leave it be as is. It was great for the time, but it’s a clunky tedious game by today’s standards.

Seriously, the lack of a skill bar is beyond annoying. Especially when my werebear drops while I am in combat. I have to go through my f1-f4 hot keys just to get the build back up and running, no thanks.

I hated dying in D2 when it was King of all games, I hate it now even more. If I die (luckily I haven’t yet, but I will in Act 2) in fully armed and armored, I will surely die w/out any items as I run to my corpse that’s being camped by mobs. Of course I can avoid that if I have a full back up set just for the run back to my corpse. But once I get there, kill all the mobs, then I need to get my items back in order, tp back to town, and place my back up items back in the stash.

Don’t get me started on the lack of stash space, especially since it’s very advantageous to keep chipped gems to use in the cube.

Even with better graphics, D2 will not be worth the remaster unless other issues are addressed. (1) Stash (2) Death (3) Skill Bar (4) Basically you might as well make D4.

2 Likes

A D2 remaster should definitely adress the stash. Make it larger, and shared.
Would be a shame if deaths were changed.
I’d be fine with adding an optional skill bar though, but the classic controls should also remain. Even if a skill bar is definitely better, they should not remove the classic gameplay.

Yeah, I agree, there should be an ‘option’ in the controls to go full on D2 experience with better graphics or the ‘enhance’ version with all the ‘changes’ and ‘goodies’ that was added.

Basically, I think of the Icewind Dale game that was released as an ‘enhanced’ version. You could, for the most part, pick and choose how ‘enhanced’ you wanted it to be. If ‘that’ were to happen with a D2 remake, then I would buy it and mess around with all the different available options to see if there is a workable combo to my liking.

1 Like

Rebind your hotkeys to asdfevbnzgh - travel skill on f and tome of portal on g. Try it, I love it this way.

The original ceeators had this plan, yet everyone on these forums crap all over the idea when it’s brought up on the forums…

How ironic🙄

This. i also tried to play D2 again and after playing D3, D2 seems like hot wet garbage in so many ways even with all of D3’s issues (D2 was great for its time 20 years ago). its beyond ironic that the D2 fanboy club has rose-colored glasses on and want D2 remade with better graphics when there’s so many issues like you’ve stated that should be addressed first. And if they were going to fix all those issues… they might as well just spend all that development time/money on D4.

Also if D2R was actually a thing and was actually going to be released soon and supposedly was going to release LAST year, why has there been zero official updates or announcements? They announced D3, D:I and D4 2-3+ years before release. I don’t see D2R happening, and even if it does, it’ll go from hot wet garbage to slightly polished garbage.

2 Likes

I have a bad joke for you. Maybe it will be “Diablo 2: REFORGED”? May I suggest LoL style graphics? It seems quite popular recently, no? -_-

Oh look Mr Tinfoil is back at it…

Flagged for spamming & pointless necro.

1 Like

Updated graphics, various fixes to long standing bugs, expanded/shared stash, other QoL changes, modernization of the netcode, a much needed upgrade to cheat/bot detection… Yes I’d welcome a Remaster of Diablo 2… So if you’re listening Blizzard, my wallet is open, release it and take my money. :slight_smile:

To those who bash Diablo 2, keep this in mind: If it weren’t for the great success of Diablo 2, you wouldn’t be here bashing it in the Diablo 3 forums. It doesn’t matter which iteration of Diablo, we’re all a part of this game.

I can still see it happening. Why? How? Well, that’s easy. MONEY! Blizzard knows that it is guaranteed money, so there no need to jump at it now.

When? Most likely after D4. The hype will die down around 10-12 months after release and then boom the D2: Remastered carrot is dangling for all to see. Yes, there will be a nice long stick attached to that carrot too for added hype and demand.

Of course that stick could be long enough to buy Blizzard enough time to pump out an expansion pack for D4. If players have waited 20 years for a remaster, they can wait another 5 or more.

No, no we don’t have news on it. You necroed a thread from almost a year ago without ANYTHING from Blizzard.

Fun story. Blizzard no longer supports Mac for any of their games, except Hearthstone. The idea that they would remaster D2 to continue to work on Mac, when they don’t make other games for Mac, is rather unrealistic.

Instead they removed the System Requirements stating Mac was valid.

Check every single System Requirement for their games:

Overwatch never supported it.

The rest did but now:
D3 Blizzard Support - Diablo III System Requirements
WoW Blizzard Support - World of Warcraft System Requirements
HotS Blizzard Support - Heroes of the Storm System Requirements
SC2 Blizzard Support - StarCraft II System Requirements
Hearthstone still does Blizzard Support - Hearthstone System Requirements

Someone, who does not work for Blizzard, using the “soon” meme is not proof of Blizz developing a Remastered D2 - especially not in response to loss of Mac support.

What you should instead be wondering, is if D4 will be supported on Macs. I currently doubt it.

I will be fair. D2 is my first game addiction and love. I was old already when I got into it but it took me down the rabbit hole and I have never quite gotten out. I love that game - but I can also be aware it has drawbacks, just like D3 has pros and cons. Every game has pros and cons.

2 Likes

He was like this long before Covid was a thing, so can’t use the lockdown excuse for having far too much time on his hands.

Some people around here REALLY need to get off the internet.

D3 was established to be a completely different game than D2 long before release, so its success its 100% its own DESPITE being a sequel to D2.

wait what? You think blizzard is spending money to polish the turd that is D2 for AFTER D4 comes out? That would mean they are PLANNING to fail with D4? :laughing: .

WC3 never got WC4. So it kinda makes sense that they tried to do a remaster. Diablo 2 got D3 and now D4. 2 sequels. Maybe they considered a D2R in the distant past. but there’s pretty much zero chance a D2 remaster is ever happening now. I wish blizzard would make an official statement to quiet the D2 fanboys. Its baffling why anyone would think this after this long and multiple sequels.

^this. They aren’t going to remaster D2, all evidence points to the contrary.

Well, they MIGHT, but it won’t in response to the loss of Mac support. There is no evidence it would be soon though - if at all.

Why are you giving them hope!?!?

Eh… on this one there is a chance. They did SC and WC3. D2 is the only one left. BUT it is not an emergency seeing as only a couple years ago they updated D2 to work on Win10. So it is not something urgent they need to deal with.

On some other things, heck no.

yea a “chance”. :roll_eyes:

also, can you either lock this thread or move it to the diablo 2 section?

If they Remastered D2 in the same way as Starcraft Remastered with the ‘classic’ version being free to play and the ‘remastered’ graphics being what you pay for, it would work very well to their advantage. If it were released a year or so before the release of D4, the free classic version would not only bring a lot of new players into Diablo, but also bring some old players back into the game in order to prime the future sales of Diablo 4.

It would be a win-win for Blizzard.

Nope. MVPs (greens) are other players. I don’t work there and have zero moderation powers. I can’t do a thing. I can only be green.