New MacBook Pro i9 Radeon 5500m issue

As I did with wow Classic, I tried Diablo 3 on the new MacBook Pro 16. Weird time is the game is offering by default a resolution of 3584 X 2200. The max resolution of the new MacBook is 3072x1920. Is it a bug? With the new Radeon pro 5500m, if you try to change the resolution, the display get corrupted badly and you need to restart the game. Basically you can’t change the resolution from 3584 X 2200(!) at that Resolution, you get a FPS of 55-60 with pretty much everything at highest setting. Is the display corruption related to a driver issue or a game issue?

1 Like

Thanks! I am thinking of getting a new Macbook Pro 16" also, and I am glad you posted your Very troubling game-breaking problem. Sorry, I have no solution for that. (Blizzards experts are working on it I hope) Can you comment on any thermal throttling from the I9 you run into? Also, are the fans on all the time in diablo? thanks

What exactly is the fix then? When I log in I can’t see anything due to the horizontal lines.

1 Like

I don’t know :frowning: , It seems to be a fatal error, so nobody with a new MacBook Pro 16" with i9 can play Diablo. I am wondering if Blizzard programmers, are aware of the problem, and are working on a fix, and especially if they have found the bug in Diablo IV! :frowning: I don’t want to buy a new MacBook Pro 16" with I9 until this major fatal problem is fixed. Your problem with not being able to see anything due to horizontal lines is another frustrating layer of Bugs. I assume you have a new MacBook kPro 16" with I9?

Here is a link to - possibly - a similar problem. The first guy has an I7, but then a guy with an I9 says he’s also having a graphics problem. TheTIAS is an expert who is trying to help. Catalina OSX graphics issues

Heya Zombibunny,

I noticed some players are getting around this by running the game in Window mode. Though of course that is a workaround not a fix.

I normally would suggest trying:

Let us know how it goes!

2 Likes

I can confirm D3 is completely unplayable at non-native screen resolution on the new MBP. Blizzard please fix this! None of the suggested workarounds is valid

1 Like

reporting MBP 16 inch i9 5500 Diablo 3 is a checkerboard. Unplayable.

thanks

3 Likes

Yes, I am running a new 16” MBP and I’m having the corruption issue. I tried this on my 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro and it also does the exact same thing.

This is not isolated to just the new machines and is a blatant flaw in the code. Support has done nothing and yes the workaround to do windowed as possible if you disable graphic switching so you can even get into the game and see the screen. I’m not sure what’s happened with Blizzard quality, but I am certainly very disappointed as they have had great potential in the past and would love to see a return to that This is not isolated to just the new machines and is a blatant flaw in the code. Support has done nothing and yes the workaround to do windowed as possible if you disable graphic switching so you can even get into the game and see the screen. I’m not sure what’s happened with Blizzard quality, but I am certainly very disappointed as they have had great potential in the past and would love to see a return to that

Blizzard is commenting on this thread, can you provide any kind of ETA for resolution as this seems to be a very widespread and glaring issue that is not isolated just to new hardware but extends to hardware from three years back even.

Macbook pro 16
I9 8 core
32GB ram
8500m 8GB
2TB

The game will run in windowed mode for the time being. Not sure if it’s a drivers issue or a blizzard issue but the game is UNPLAYABLE in full screen.

1 Like

I really wouldn’t reccomend running this game on any Mac Laptops

How is this comment helpful?

1 Like

I had the same problem and the suggested work around seems to work. If you turn off Automatic Graphics Switching in your Energy Saver settings, it appears to fix the issue. The only thing this setting does is conserve battery life by switching between onboard graphics and the third party graphics processor. If you usually run while plugged in, you should be fine.

Im having the same issue. Im confident that Blizzard will address soon.

What a disgrace. I bought Diablo III and Reaper of Souls, and now can’t play them on my 16” MacBook Pro. After the lack of response by Blizzard regarding this issue, and also their exclusion of the Mac during their Diablo IV announcement, I’d say they appear to be giving up on Mac users.

1 Like

If they abandon Apple users. Apple users will in turn abandon them. But given they have implemented metal, I bet they do support it. They want money like any other company.

But their lack of addressing this is sad.

1 Like

I turned off automatic graphics switching and it’s working fine (MBP 16" 8GB AMD 5500M)

1 Like

I have the same issue. :frowning:

MBPR16
5500M

Then the current workaround seen above should work for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blizzard

MacBook 16
i9 5ghz
32gb ram
5500m 8gb

Diablo 3 loads but the screen is torn and cannot be played

Starcraft 2 - does not load.

Starcraft 1 - gfx bugs.

Please fix this with a patch or something.

1 Like