Catalina OSX graphics issues

Getting a strange pixelation bug in full screen and windowed full screen mode that doesn’t happen in windowed mode. I’ve scanned and repaired, restarted after install, and my hardware’s all good.

Please advise.

2 Likes

What hardware do you have? You can find the info in Apple Menu > (hold down option key) System Information > Hardware. Post that here minus the UUID and serial numbers please.

I am getting a similar issue I think. I tried taking a screenshot and it was odd the pixelation lines were not in the screenshot. I too have Catalina specs are as follows. I did notice that if I flip the resolution settings around apply and then cancel it will fix it, or if you click customer support and leave the Desktop the fullscreen is on and then come back that fixes it too, but this is a pain as you can barely see anything. I have done same checks as OP and nothing seems to fix it for good. OP are you getting Pixalation where it is to the point of unreadable, mine I can only navigate the menus by memory?

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 202.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.45f1

EDIT: I am on Catalina Version 10.15.1 (19B88)

1 Like

[quote=“Cholo666-1788, post:3, topic:5557”]
OP are you getting Pixalation where it is to the point of unreadable, mine I can only navigate the menus by memory?[/quote]
Yes, same exact symptoms. Right down to the screen shot weirdness.

2017 MacBook Pro with 2.8 GHz Quad i7, 16gig LPDDR3, 3gig graphics between the intel 630 and radeon pro 555.

OK, so both have AMD R series GPUs then. It is known that the pixelation issue (which is not fixed) is more severe on AMD hardware than it is on nVidia hardware, though it is present to at least some extent on both companies’ GPUs.

It’s either a driver issue, a game issue, errata in the GPU architecture that hasn’t been patched or worked around in driver updates, or any combination of the three. Right now there isn’t anything that can be done on the user end. But there is nothing wrong with the game files that we know of.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the game might help with some areas with the pixelation, but only if those files are corrupt for some reason. Otherwise, all we can do is wait for a fix to be announced. Being a CASC enabled game, the occasional uninstall/reinstall procedure is actually a good thing if you don’t have a very low data cap on your internet plan, as that at least temporarily fixes the CASC fragmentation issue Blizzard’s games (all of them) develop over time.

I wish I had better news, but for now it’s mostly wait and see. There’s nothing we can do on our end outside of what I mentioned to fix corrupted files.

Edit: If you’re getting pixelation to where it’s unreadable, a good first step in troubleshooting is to reset the SMC. You can do so by following the instructions in this article. That may take care of the most severe issues, though it might not eliminate them.

Typically fully pixelated and unreadable text means the game is failing library validation. Could you both post your OS information as well? It’s found in the Software pane in the System Information app (accessible from the Apple menu as noted above). Remember to leave out any serial numbers.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I actually prefer running it in windowed mode while I figure out my streaming step up, so this isn’t huge for me. Keep us posted? :blush:

I have the same issues as described above, but I managed to take a screenshot… maybe that helps. Does anybody know if these bugs occurred on Mojave or High Sierra? A lot of graphic related apps have issues with the new update… thought apple had better quality.

Seems like I can’t include links here :confused:

dropbox. com/s/r6fryxty5fa758v/diablo-graphic-bug.JPG?dl=0

if you remove the whitespace between dropbox. and com it should work

Isaak, what is your system info? You can see the instructions above on how to put it into a post here.

Also, for the Mac support agents here is a clickable version of Isaak’s screenshot for easy viewing.

1 Like

NEW EDIT. ( I can’t post more then three things so I have to edit the older post.)

Strangely enough I solved the case for my own purposes. When I have graphic apps like adobe illustrator running in the background, I do not experience any graphic bugs. I don’t know why that is, but its reproducible. Maybe Adobe Illustrator activates the graphics chip in some strange ways :D…

OLD POST:

Unfortunately I chose the wrong language when setting up the system, but its similar to the specs posted above

Modellname: MacBook Pro
Modell-Identifizierung: MacBookPro14,3
Prozessortyp: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2,8 GHz
Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 4
L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB
L3-Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technologie: Aktiviert
Speicher: 16 GB
Boot-ROM-Version: 202.0.0.0.0
SMC-Version (System): 2.45f1

Also I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.1

And these are my GPUs
Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Systemversion: macOS 10.15.1 (19B88)
Kernel-Version: Darwin 19.0.0

I have the exact same issue. I find if I ctrl-tab to another application, everything looks fine in the game window where it underlaps. restarting is the only thing that fixes it for me, and that’s a pain. Actually, I have managed once or twice to fix it but if I exit and restart the game, the error returns on the exact same settings which worked a few minutes before…

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
Boot ROM Version: 1037.40.124.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.11081.0.0,0)

Intel UHD Graphics 630:
Radeon Pro 560X:
|System Version:|macOS 10.15.1 (19B88)|
| Kernel Version:|Darwin 19.0.0|

Hrm. Perhaps disabling automatic graphics switching might be the answer here. The reason I’m suggesting this is because it appears that for some reason D3 is not triggering the switch properly or is being corrupted by the switch. Maybe forcing only the Radeon GPU to be used would help you out here.

1 Like

Hello guys,

It has definitely something to do with graphic drivers and I managed to play nicely by deactivating the Automatic Graphic Switching on my MBP. So I suppose that of the two graphic cards the MBP has, the Intel HD Graphics XXX is not able to play the game correctly (graphic artefacts), whereas the Radeon Pro 5XX can.

Disabling the Automatic Graphic Switching (Preferences > Energy saver) makes your MBP use only the Radeon which drives D3 well.

Now why is D3 not triggering the Automatic switch in Catalina when it was doing it correctly on the previous version of macOS, I don’t know.

Anyway, for the time being I can play :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It could be that OpenGL events no longer trigger the switch properly in Catalina. Apple may have purposely changed that subsystem to only detect Metal events, in which case D3 wouldn’t trigger switching to the discrete GPU as opposed to the IGPU built into the processor. Both should trigger the changeover, but again, we’re talking Apple here. They’ve been known to artificially deprecate things to force users onto their “preferred” systems before. I wouldn’t put it past them that this is why you now have to force it yourself instead of it being automatic.

I didn’t find that worked for me.
same problem with auto graphics switch on or off.
What does work for me is starting D3 and if the problem manifests, quit, then restart D3, not the Mac.
greatest number of sequential restarts of D3 has been 6 (it’s usually 3-4, sometime it works first time) before it starts properly.
No big deal now but a bit boring.

I believe, TheTias, is on to something here. We’ve seen some pixelation issues with OpenGL and crashes for Metal in particular with Radeon Graphics in some of our other games. It’s more than likely that this is related after the Catalina upgrade that there is a driver or graphics API issue on Catalina.

We haven’t been able to replicate the issue with Nvidia graphics cards as of yet. Does anyone have this issue without a discrete Radeon graphics? If you could include the requested details that TheTias requested alongside the Discrete Graphics card in the system:

1 Like

im on OS Mojave, i doubt the OS will have anything to do with it?

Ive got: AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB
And getting a lot of pixelated “boxy” areas.

Is it a serious issue?

1 Like

This worked for me! I’m on OS X Catalina Radeon

I am able to recreate this on a MacBook Pro with Radeon discreet card.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB

I can recreate the issue anytime I drag an item from inventory to another window like stash, or a vendor. Or if there is a in game sequence like when you kill Diablo and there is a letterbox in game custscene.

1 Like

Thanks for your reports! I’ve actually seen one other report of this happening for Diablo III and Mojave specifically.

Our other games (Starcraft II & Heroes of the Storm, specifically) have had issues with Radeon graphics due to a driver issue on Catalina that will be fixed with a driver update in the future. This is mostly why I tied this with possibly some driver issues, but it seems more like Diablo III and MacOS may not be detecting and keeping the automatic switching set properly as Chocopipe pointed out.

With also having reports on Mojave though, I’m a bit curious if there’s something else to this. Anyone having success with disabling Automatic Switching for the GPU as well?

Thanks folks! I’m going to get this tracked and gathered, any additional reports and success on if this works for you is appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like