New MacBook Pro i9 Radeon 5500m issue

Blizzard, when can we expect a fix for this?

1 Like

This isn’t a Blizzard problem, it’s an Apple problem. It happens with virtually all games in Catalina and some in Mojave. Something in the OS is causing the automatic switching feature to not function properly.

1 Like

Hi there,

I am also experiencing this Problem.
Strange Thing: Yesterday I was able to play Diablo 3 in Fullscreen Mode with a resolution of 1650x1050. Today I started the Game and got this weird artifacts you all know.

I tried to switch of the change of graphics, this didn’t help.
I can only launch it in Window-Mode at any resolution I like

My Machine (i9 2.3/32GB/8GB/1TB) I think this is not a hardware issue, or should I get the Mac replaced?
Cheers.

1 Like

It’s the automatic graphics switching under Energy Saver. Turn that off and then it works. Blizzard or Apple need to address this issue.

2 Likes

How is it with macOS Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57) released today? They do update graphics drivers.

If you were a dev or public beta tester I would just use the Feedback Assistance to alert Apple to your particular issue with Diablo 3 2.6.7 version, send them the machine snapshot and log and likely it will be looked at if for some reason 10.15.2 doesn’t resolve this issue on the new MacBook Pro 16".

1 Like

I was hoping today’s update would fix it - nope :frowning:

1 Like

Hey there,
like I wrote: I tried switching the automatic graphic switching off but it didn’t worked (was able to switch it off, but not to play)
Also the Update to Catalina 10.15.2 didn’t brought any change to this issue.
I got the 5500m 8GB.

1 Like

Same issue on my brand new MacBook Pro 16 inch , i9 2.3ghz, 16gb ram, 5500m 4gb, 1tr ssd… in can play D3 only with the default resolution. Matteo from Italy

1 Like

So we see right now:
With the 5500m 8GB you can only run it in Window-Mode at any Resolution. No resolution is working at fullscreen or fullscreen-window mode.

With the 5500m 4GB you can run the game in Fullscreen at default max resolution and in window mode.
Right?

1 Like

Yes… it’s correct.

1 Like

Hi Kaldraydis,

do you got any information for us about this issue? Any ETA for solving this?
My workaround right now is to play it via Bootcamp (which works very fine)…

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Getting the same graphics corruption in anything but windowed mode. Base model MBP 16. Also noticed if you set to full screen windowed and slowly start to do the mission control gesture, everything looks fine. As soon as you let it go back to full screen it glitches out again. Every now and then you can get it to stick and it works ok… for a while.

1 Like

Just purchased a new Mac Book Pro yesterday, Diablo 3 graphics are a also a checkerboard for me and make it uplayable, very disappointing. What is being done for the fix on this?. Thank you

1 Like

Same for me. In full screen mode on my MBP 16 with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB all pixelated/checker board.

2 Likes

Even with Automatic Graphics Switching off, only Windowed works for me.

MacBook Pro 16"
Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
16 GB RAM
macOS 10.15.2

1 Like

Same problem here with a 16" MBP core i9 with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 Go.

Disabling the automatic switch of the graphic card doesn’t work. I only play in full screen windowed. In windowed mode, I often get killed because I don’t see that my mouse cursor is outside the windows :slight_smile: I have a second monitor linked to my MBP. Thus if I play in full screen mode, I lose one of my monitors. On the external one, I have no problem. But I can’t find a way to start DIII by default on that monitor.

I know that it won’t help everybody (just those playing with 2 monitors), but I bypass this by accessing Mission Control (3 fingers from down to up in the trackpad) then move DIII on the external monitor and everything is fine. It’s fast and easy to do.

What is strange is that DIII was fine at first. Then, after a few days, I got this problem too.

1 Like

Diablo 3’s preferences are stored in the following directory:

/Users/YourAccountName/Library/Application Support/Blizzard Entertainment/Diablo III/

The file is D3Prefs.txt. You can try adding the following line to it in order to attempt to force the game to display on an external monitor by default:

gxMonitor "1"

Just copy and paste that into the prefs file and save it. If it doesn’t work, you can remove the line. It won’t hurt the game at all. The “1” tells the game to use an external display as the primary viewport. By default that variable’s value is 0 (zero), which is the setting for using the built in display or the first display in a dual monitor setup.

Give it a try and see if it works. I know this is possible in WoW, but as I’ve never had a dual display setup myself, not so sure about D3. But hey, can’t hurt to try right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@TheTias:

Thank you for your information. But unluckily, it doesn’t work: I added the line when DIII and the Battle net app were closed, but when the game starts, it removes the line from the prefs file.

For everyone that it may concern:

With 2 monitors (the MBP’s one and the external), I have 2 separate spaces. But I need to add a third one to have the ability to right click on the app’s dock => options => select the monitor on which I want the app to start to. But I only see 2 of the 3 virtual desktops. Mission Control doesn’t seems to work as expected.

Anyway, the game still starts on the main screen despite the choice I made to open it on the second desktop, or another option to starts where is the mouse cursor. I saw one time the game that started without blurred graphisms. Maybe could it be for any help even for those using only one monitor: make a new space and asks the game to start there. I’ll give it some more tries and will come back if I find something, some more options to check.

But I wonder if we have to spend time for this as we may think that it should be resolved by Blizzard itself ? (And with Mission Control that doesn’t seems to work like it should doesn’t help). Or worst: drivers problem on Apple’s side ?

There is another option to force Diablo 3 on the external monitor. You can go into the Displays prefpane and set the external monitor as the main display. You do this by dragging the menubar widget from the first display window to the second one (the prefpane windows, not the actual displays themselves). This forces the OS to use the external monitor as the primary.

When you do this, Diablo 3 will be forced onto the external display by default since that is now the “main” display. You can reverse the setup after you’re done playing. I know it’s annoying to do, but it does at least get you what you want. The other monitor will still blank out during Fullscreen use though. That’s normal behaviour forced by OS X’s Window Server.

Hello here !

I had the same problem with another game (Oxygen not included). I found a post on their forum that resolved this, even with Diablo III (and maybe any other games having this behaviour):

Right click on the .app file of the game, select “Get Info” then choose to start the game in low res mode then start the game.

Diablo III was in 800x600, I changed the resolution for the maximum allowed then left the game and started it again: it was still on 3584x2240x59 without any screen problem. I was in full screen windowed mode. I didn’t check in fullscreen mode. But Oxygen not Included was in full screen and it resolved the same problem with that game.

Please note that no other option was changed (graphic card switching in system preferences => energy saver).

I hope that it will resolve your problems.

Solution found here:
https:// forums.kleientertainment. com/klei-bug-tracker/oni/issue-with-full-screen-mode-on-macos-catalina-r22388/

(Remove the spaces in the URL).

1 Like