Needi' 200 stash tabs like Game Last Epoch for excellent joy

Yes, you said so already:

2 Likes

You ever appear on that show American Pickers? I guarantee you 20 barns on your property full of trash you haven’t seen in decades.

I am a collector type. The 11 stash tabs I have (don’t own Necro) are tight on NS. If I had 20, I would be totally fine. Just visit Haedrig, he is D3’s trash man. He will help you out.

And you think revamping the game to allow for 200 tabs would be less than 1000 dollars?

Quoted from a simple web search:

How much does it cost to lease a data center?

The average first-year rent among the 23 markets is $158 per kW per month , or $1.9 million per year. the average total tax pay- ment, including sales/use tax and likely incentives, is about $1.9 million over the life of the project.

But please remember; they’re paying for a service, not just plain hardware. Also annual price can vary for sure depending on how large or small the averaging project is.

According to his logic 10 terabyte HDD at the market only costs like $235, so Blizzard can easily afford it but holding back. I really tried to explain how this is not the case but failed to convince him otherwise.

So currently how big in tb is the server that runs D3?

The key figure that your quote lacks is how much server space you get in.the data center.

1 Like

How are you so sure the required change only takes like 15 gigabytes? Do you know all the expressions, scripts and functions stored at the server per player? Nobody could answer that question because they don’t need to store 15 gigabytes extra in a whim. Only a field expert can do that and I’m not one.

A huge data center can home to quite a few multiplayer games and host their servers at once. This is just rates for power cost, you still pay them rent for hardware since you are charged by data size you want to store and its maintenance. It should give you a rough idea about their costs annually, so their income must be equal or higher.

You are mistaken. That $235 number came from other discussion of how much server space was needed for adding the altar to non-season.

Why should I provide you a spreadsheet when you are confusing what we discussed?

If you want to see prices for cloudvstirage get your own quote from AWS?

You will find the costs are not linear.

This id some info from 2009 about

DESIGN>HARDWARE

WoW’s Back End: 10 Data Centers, 75,000 Cores

World of Warcraft is hosted in 10 data centers across the globe, with AT&T providing the facilities and network. The game is powered by more than 75,000 CPU cores.

Rich Miller | Nov 25, 2009

wow-logo

It takes a lot of resources to host the world’s largest online games. One of the largest players in this niche is Blizzard, which operates World of Warcraft and the Battle.net gaming service for its Starcraft and Diablo titles. World of Warcraft (WoW) is played by more than 11.5 million users across three continents, requiring both scale and geographic scope.

Blizzard hosts its gaming infrastructure with AT&T, which provides data center space, network monitoring and management. AT&T, which has been supporting Blizzard for nine years, doesn’t provide a lot of details on Blizzard’s infrastructure. But Blizzard’s Allen Brack and Frank Pearce provided some details at the recent Game Developer’s Conference in Austin. Here are some data points:

• Blizzard Online Network Services run in 10 data centers around the world, including facilities in Washington, California, Texas, Massachusetts, France, Germany, Sweden, South Korea, China, and Taiwan.
  • Blizzard uses 20,000 systems and 1.3 petabytes of storage to power its gaming operations.
  • WoW’s infrastructure includes 13,250 server blades, 75,000 CPU cores, and 112.5 terabytes of blade RAM.
  • The Blizzard network is managed by a staff of 68 people.
  • The company’s gaming infrastructure is monitored from a global network operating center (GNOC), which like many NOCs, features televisions tuned to the weather stations to track potential uptime threats across its data center footprint.

I think that even with this outdated information, the amount of data needed for adding some mire stash tabs (I think 200 is way excessive) is the equivalent of a tear in the ocean.

For WoW alone in 2009, there was 1.3 petabytes of storage. The amount of ectra storage space we are discussing here is absolutely trivial in comparison.

I hope you are aware Blizzard is not holding back anything. The decision is a burden to take on. They recently acquired by Microsoft and I don’t think Microsoft rather implode this company rather than spending more than needed minimum.

You’re right, adding tabs is the easy part. Synchronizing them and listening to fans complaint about slow load times is the hard part. Then there’s dealing with the increased costs that snowball over the course of years for an unmonetized game which is the hardest. After game is about to retire I am willing to bet they don’t consider it as an option. It’s too much logistics just for a simple but costly change on a very old game.

No, but that’s not where the main problem lies, it’s every client needing to read every other clients full stash while in party.

This article talks about costs for 1 petabyte of data.

You can imagine that the cost of 1.0000pb versus 1.0001pb is not that different.

For cloud storage, the estimate is 5 Year Cloud Grand Total $367,980.

We already discussed that. Please read my earlier comments about Blizzard’s internal test was with a stash full of socketed jewelry in a 4 player game.

Also, I am perfectly happy with character slots instead and I raised that point to Nev during the whole stash space snafu. In that scenario, there is no sync issue.

She responded that Blizzard did not want players opening and closing too.many games.

Blizxard likely has availabke capacity on their server. It would be catastrophically dumb to be that close to the edge space wise since there would be no margin for error/technical hiccups.

In petabytes, how much server capacity does D3 use?

If they doubled stash space (or character slots if you prefer due to sync issues), how much extra server space would be needed?

Keep in mind that WoW had ~11.5 million players in 2009 and was 1.3pb.

Sure, but it was also 15 times less tabs. And regardless what you prefer, we haven’t gotten it the last decade+, it won’t be added now when they officially has stopped development.

If we go by outdated data to make a dumb estimation, using an unrelated game as a standard here; then I reckon it’d be about 6-7 petabytes or even larger, given D3 have reached 65 million players. Doing any optimal change can be very costly looking at that. You can not positively want 200 stash tabs after a decade.

That’s total players over the lifetime of the game, WoW was active players so not really comparable in any way. For reference WoW exceeded 100 million total players a decade ago.

I have already stated I do not want 200 stash tabs and called that number “way excessive”.

I think my quote was abundantly clear.

Also, my first post in this thread stated:

The outdated numbers are not perfect but give us a ballpark idea.

Having more character slots would be a worthwhile addition instead of more stash tabs. There are 7 classes with 5 class specific sets.

It was full of typos when I read it. My bad.

It was a shot in the dark anyway since both games have different ways to express and store data. I think I’ll go with around 1 petabyte because I remember developers commented how D3 items require more expressions than a simple WoW item. According to Micro’s site linked up there, the 5 year cost of 1 PByte is around 1.3 million dollars.

https://www.diablowiki.net/Stash#Previous_Development

… more randomization means you can keep chasing that perfect item, but that means the amount of data needed to describe an item is much, much larger than say, a World of Warcraft item, which is static and only needs a unique number to identify it. …

Team work makes the dream work… twisted as it may seem.

Typing on my phone. Sorry.

There are like billion reasons why we demand 200 stash tabs and/or infinite stash tabs.