Most of Diablo 4's loot is untradable?

Sure, it is nice to have optional restarts from time to time, for people to get back into the game from the very start, with more low lvl players to play with etc.
There should just be no exclusive content, buffs, rewards etc. Do it for the fresh start, and nothing else (well, there can be some cosmetic stuff).

I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case. Unless weā€™re talking about Unique grade items which possibly account bound, most of the items you can loot in D4 will be tradable. When you think about it Unique and Legendary items will have a rarity value above other item grades and thus it will make them somewhat irrelevant on the big picture.
Besides that, there will be once or three times exchange limit items and free trade items, which consist of the most abundant item class. This limitation on trade is for restricting any sort of item flipper as they learnt their lesson from D3 and hopefully added to that from D:I.

If you think only the ones that matter will be account bound, youā€™re wrong again. Rare and Magical items as much as Unique and Legendary items will be needed to a degree to keep the build intact. There are thresholds and matters of sustain against large crowds at practical means which lower grade items seem to do the best. This is what a good designer worth their salt should do as well.

Why even have trading loot in the game at all if youā€™re going to render most of it untradeable? Seems like a waste of development. For that matter; Iā€™d rather have more details about self-sufficiency and it hopefully not being as tedious as Bounties in Diablo 3, the one activity you basically have to participate with other players if you want to keep your sanity.

It seems odd to me that they parade multiplayer aspects. For me; Diablo was never really about that. Not unless you have a close friend also playing the game. I really hope itā€™s not as borderline mandatory as it might turn out to be. The field bosses thing really stuck out to me as a huge negative. I have plenty of MMO things with Lost Ark. I really donā€™t want Diablo to head in that direction too. I just hope you can largely ignore these aspects.

1 Like

Most of the loot cannot be traded, which is a stupid decision.

4 Likes

Yeah, none of it would have been better.

2 Likes

So now so far we have a 6 skill setup and most/all worthwhile gear being non tradeable. Anything else we should know so that we donā€™t waste our money on Diablo 3.5?

Is blizzard just incompetent or stupid or ignorant regarding the popularity of D2, D2R, POE, etc.? Do they not like money?

Is D4 supposed to be D3 with more ā€œseriousā€ atmosphere and story? You need several years of development to create that?

What fun D4 development feature should we expect next? Mandatory set-based gameplay? 99% of melee builds being complete garbage?

1 Like

Seeing as D3 made money in the range of billions of dollars, you seem to underestimate how popular that has been. And they if anyone know exactly how much money the various Diablo games have made.

1 Like

zoomers ruined gaming

3 Likes

Because things in Diablo 4 are in flux and unclear I want to frame my thoughts on trading in terms of Diablo 2. I think magic and rare items should have definitely been tradeable. Sets would be limited tradable. Uniques and runes/runewords would NOT be tradable with a moderate increase in drop rates.

The basic idea is that there is a lot of randomness involved with magic and rare items. Its okay for them to be tradable because I feel like the role they serve is to fill in gaps left by set and unique (maybe legendary) items. But they are random and as you are progressing you might find yourself in a situation where instead of fixing attack rating you need to fix fire resistance and it could be good (fun for some people) to find a suitable trade.

Set items just by virtue of being a set I think deserve some tradability. Unique and legendary or runes and runewords are deterministic for the most part and should not be tradable. Even though sets are deterministic as wellā€¦ so maybe 1 trade.

Your ideas are not different from the original ideas of Blizzard design developers. However, the disclosed transaction mode is only the internal transaction of the guild clan, and the scope is very small.

Poor op, wonā€™t be able to sell items and scam children selling stuff in the game.

Blizzard themselves will instead have the monopoly on selling power to bad players

Guess thereā€™s always D2

1 Like

Only when I need help falling sleep. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

1 Like

Games doa.
Weā€™ll all play it like d3 then move on and itll be d3 all over again.
Blizzard is incapable of creating good games that are played for years to come.

Whats new?

2 Likes

Seeing as you posted that on the forum for a game thatā€™s been around for over a decade and people play, seems youā€™re at least partially incorrect.

1 Like

Untradable loot could be fine.

Full trading entails reduced drops, more rng on drops its stats etc. Much like D3 before limiting trading. And still in many aspects with the current limited trading.

Also, third party sites to trade will be used most likely involving real money. Even in game trading options like the auction house will be buried by fans. Like done in D3 auction house which also included a real money one. Making it p2w in many eyes. Also because of low drop rates and bad rng on stats.

All those things come along with full, free trading. Most of those are unacceptable by fans or at least invoke much complaints.

Account bound best loot, be it bis items or many items good for a slot, should entail better droprates with better rng on stats or no rng at all. Alternatively a system to keep improving items to their maximum potential, even getting all the stats on it you want with the values you want, could be implemented.

It is bound, so only for you. You play the actual game for each improvement. You spent accumulated resources for an upgrade. Exactlt thing they wanted us to do in D3. Exactly what I would have liked. And still would like for D3 too.

Rerolling in cube an ancient legendary should result a new ancient or better legendary. Rerolling a primal should result in a new primal.

S27 themeā€™s rerolling an item to optimal stats is really nice and should stay in game after season and the items too. Without that special power and without the limit of only equipping one. With additional resources required or other wise.

Iā€™d like to improve my items up to optimal stats and values. Both primary and secundary. Both in D3 as well as in D4.

I would agree if not for the essence system. With it you can turn any rare into a legendary, and worse you can actually choose which legendary power you want on this item. This makes rares potentially the best items in the game (bested only by unique, if that).

Iā€™m afraid a trading system based on random rares would lead to the same issue that D3 AH had, where you could easily get items almost impossible to find on your own.

Better limit the access to the market, and reduce tradable items to certain slots.

Itā€™s a myth that has been debunked several times by Blizzard members.

Besides, D3 vanilla had many patches increasing significantly drop rates and it didnā€™t change the dynamics of the AH.

But youā€™re right about the negative effects of free trading, it needs to be restricted.

Random items are core to the Diablo formula. If people can get perfect items in a ā€œshortā€ amount of time (less than a year of so) then they will loose the incitement to play. BiS are not needed to enjoy the game, but the possibility of an upgrade is.

That being said, I agree that D3 RNG on affixes is way too much, as well as drop rates. Both need to be reduced.

:100:

As much as I am against trading, I might support having a single item slot that was freely tradeable. Kinda in the same way I could support a single item slot that was entirely crafted, like the Relics in Grim Dawn. Could also be the same slot that was both crafted and tradeable.
At least this way the consequences are more limited, and the items that goes into that single item slot can be specifically designed around their special status, both to keep the consequences in check, but also to make the items more interesting for a trading market (like, making them rarer/harder to obtain, and making them more randomized, to allow traders to have more uniquely desired items to trade for and with, instead of just being identical, mass produced goods). Could even take the obvious step in a market economy, and make these items lose durability over time, and eventually break or get reduced stats; to ensure a never-ending demand for new items. This part missing in A-RPGs is usually what makes the concept of markets work so badly/unstable. Here it could be solved.
For crafted items it could allow the intricate crafting recipes seen in Grim Dawn. Something that would be overkill if it affected many item slots, but for a single item slot allows a bunch of depth, while containing it to a smaller part of the game, to not overwhelm it with complexity.

Not sure about craftable only but I like this idea of a very randomized and free trading slot, one that is not as powerful as other slots too so non-traders donā€™t feel too edged out.

Though Iā€™m not sure one slot only would offer enough variables to make the market interesting.

And what u do after that?

This is where it get troublesome as ppl have different opinion. Do ppl want to be fully geared and done? Or do they want to be able to continue to grow? Is it about the journey or about the destination?

In a game with competition reaching the destination isnt always what ppl sought after.
Always having a challenge and being able to grow is what some ppl enjoy.

In d2 ppl will reach 99 and be done. While in d3 u can continue to grow until u paragon 20k. The initial idea in d3 was that ppl werent gonna reach max paragon or gr150. In d2 ppl were suppose to grow and beat hell.

Ppl are rly different. Some ppl are happy sticking to the same job for their lifetime others wanna grow in rank. Plenty of ppl want want kids and family and when they get that they become depressed as they lack a new goal.

Its a big issue in mmorpgs for example. Ppl beat all dungeons and get all gears and then they quit. U might want a ez way to get the perfect rolled gear other ppl wanna keep chasing the perfect rolled item.

In d2 u have two camps. One which wants the droprate to be increased so they can find the best gears in a certain time. The other camp wants items to be rare so that they get excited when a item drop which could potentially be good.

1 Like

The journey would be to obtain the optimal gear, upgrading while playing.

It doesnā€™t stop at gear. Between optimal gear and decent gear arenā€™t that many gr levels. At most a few. One could consider that insignificant.

We still have paragon too. And gr levels to beat.
We have seasonal themes which may or may not be fun for a while.

So, I guess not much would actually change compared to now. It would offer another end game thing to do. Like gr, bounties and EN.