Monk set suggestion for patch 2.7

Monk is notorious for its reliance on cooldown, Epiphany is essential for all build. Yet there is no support item for it, 66.6% is just too much for a permanent uptime. Monk loss a lot of useful affix because of it, it also contribute to the fact that monk has low toughness compare to other classes.

Uliana’s Stratagem
Mythic Rhythm: Now always apply to exploding palm apply by Uliana

Exploding palm can no long snapshot power pylon.

Binding of the Lost: Each hit with Seven-Sided Strike grants 4.0–5.0% damage reduction and increased damage for 7 seconds. (Stack now stack and fresh its duration)

Gungdo Gear: Exploding Palm’s on-death explosion and seven-sided strike apply Exploding Palm. Exploding palm deal 777% increased damage.

The Flow of Eternity: Increases the damage of Seven-Sided Strike by 777% and reduces its cooldown by 45–60%

Lion’s Claw: Seven-Sided Strike performs an additional 7 strikes. Seven-Sided Strike deals an addition of 77% each time it hit the same target (stack to 1078% on last hit if all 14 hits damage the same target).

Epiphany: Now has a baseline 50% damage reduction
Desert Shroud now provides 30% dodge chance
Inner fire now provides 40% fire damage

Beacon of Ytar: Reduces all cooldowns by 20% . Epiphany cooldown is reduced by 10 seconds.

Uliana is a very fun build, however, it has a very high skill requirement. It is caused by some hidden mechanism. First, the first exploding palm will not be benefited by Mythic Rhythm passive. One would need to hit a mob three times then apply it manually on other mobs. Second, it is possible to snapshot s power pylon empowered exploding palm. One needs to keep at least one mobs with empowered exploding palm alive for the entire rift.

Another problem of the set is the lack on single target damage. I think the above changes will solve most of the problems.

Madstone: Breath of Heaven detonates Exploding Palm

Eye of Pashkov: Reduce the cooldown of Breath of Heaven by 65%.

I would like to see some variated form of exploding palm build, so I moved its old effect to Gungdo Gear and did some brainstorming with it. I am not sure where it will lead but is sound promising.

Raiment of a Thousand Storms
(4) set: Dashing Strike spends 50 Spirit, but refunds a Charge when it does. Dashing strike gain all runes and deal 200% increased damage.

(6) set: Your primary skills, sweeping wind, and Dashing strike deal 10000% increased damage.

Band of the Rue Chambers: Your maximum Spirit and spirit generation is increased by 50%. Each point of Spirit the Monk has also provides 40 armor

Cord of the Sherma: Combination strike provide 30% armor, damage and attack speed per stack

Fleshrake: Dashing Strike increases the damage of Dashing Strike by 250–400% for 2 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.

Flying Dragon: increase your attack speed by 100% (always active)

Raiment Clearly needs toughness and damage buff.

Monkey king
(2) set damage: damage reduction buff to 60%

Tzo Krin’s Gaze: Wave of Light is now cast at your enemy and Increases Wave of Light damage by 200-350% (Now always roll an socket)

Gyana Na Kashu: Lashing Tail Kick releases a piercing fireball that deals 3000–
4500% damage as Fire to enemies within 10 yards on impact and deal 500% increased damage (Now always roll an socket)

Scarbringer: The damage of Lashing Tail Kick is increased by 600-850%. This bonus is double to the first 7 enemies it hit.

Just some quality of life buff, make Tzo Krin’s Gaze and Gyana Na Kashu extractable and easier to get a good one. Scarbringer change is long due.

Inna Mantra
(6) set: damage buff to 1000%

Lefebvre’s Soliloquy: damage reduction buff to 60%

Inna reach now roll up to 200% mystic ally damage

Bindings of the Lesser Gods: Enemies hit by Cyclone Strike take 400% more damage from Mystic Ally for 5 seconds. Reduce cooldown of Mystic allies by 50-65%.

The Crudest Boots: Mystic Ally summons double the amount of Mystic Allies that fight by your side. Mystic allies deal 400% increased damage.

Mystic Ally should roll with cooldown, it would improve the damage of the build greatly. However, when we are doing that please make sure that these item changes would not buff LON/LOD build as Mystic allies attack from rabid strike would benefit from Mystic Ally damage. I think the buff in Bindings of the Lesser Gods is needed to make LON WOL great, but if the damage from the Crudest Boots also works, the build will be too overpowering.

8 Likes

I liked everything I read.

1 Like

thank you. I spend a long time in it

That was the case years ago, it’s been fixed since.

Really? let me test it again, thx.

What about that instead of increasing its duration, it could have the effect that Cooldown Reduction is doubled for this skill? Like a bonus on the base skill.

This still would be a problem against Rift Guardians with summoned minions.

Furthermore, the main amount of damage from this set does not come from Seven Sided Strike, but from the Exploding Palm explosion that gets added on a group of enemies.

So I think maybe something like this here should be on one of the Exploding Palm related legendaries:

“Exploding Palm explosions that are coming from the EP DoT that is applied to a Rift Guardian, deal xxxx% more damage (to the Rift Guardian)”

Does this make sense the way I framed it?

No, no, no.
At least for me, that with Tzo Krin’s Gaze you can/have to use Wave of Light over a distance is what killed this set for me.

Increase the damage to 500-650% as you suggest, but remove the part where it allows you to use WoV over a distance.

Tat is all fine, but I just wanted to add that it would be cool to have a legendary that adds xx% of your boots armor to Lashing Tail Kick’s damage (similar to Shield Bash and Blessed Shield on the Crusader). Maybe this could even be a bonus effect on the base skill of LTK as well.

1 Like

Let me do some math and see if the new suggestion is enough.

Old:
Impending Doom ( 6305) * X The Fist of Az’Turrasq (1+ 500%) X Uliana (1+9000%) * Mythic Rhythm( 1.4) = 4,819,542
This effect can trigger 14 times per SSS = 67,473,588

Seven-Sided Strike (5677) X Uliana (1+777% X7) X The Flow of Eternity (2) X Lion’s Claw (4) * Mythic Rhythm( 1.4) = 3,903,323

As you can see in the old version EP deal around 30 times more damage compare to SSS.

New:
Impending Doom ( 6305) * X The Fist of Az’Turrasq (1+ 500%) X Uliana (1+9000%) * Mythic Rhythm( 1.4) * Binding of the lost ( 1.7) * Gungdo gear (1+ 777%) = 71,281,026
This effect can trigger 14 times per SSS = 997,934,366

Seven-Sided Strike (5677) X Uliana (1+777% X7) X The Flow of Eternity (1+ 777%) X Lion’s Claw (4 X (77 + 1078)/2) * Mythic Rhythm( 1.4) * Binding of the lost ( 1.7 )= 168,037,053

Which is around 6 times lower than Explosive palm.

So lets try another version of buff that we can do.
Lion’s Claw: Seven-Sided Strike performs an additional 7 strikes. Seven-Sided Strike deals 777% increased damage

Seven-Sided Strike (5677) X Uliana (1+777% X7) X The Flow of Eternity (1+ 777%) X Lion’s Claw (4 X 1+ 777%) * Mythic Rhythm( 1.4) * Binding of the lost ( 1.7 )= 226,086,216

This version is still 5 times less than EP. So perhaps we still need another multiplier to bring them closer. But I am not sure what is our goal in its buff will adding 1/5 damage when facing single target be enough or not. If not how much should we add?

Compare with Heaven’s Fury
Fires of Heaven (960) X Fate of the fell (1 + 5 X 3) X Bracer of Fury (1+ 4) X shield of fury (1+3) X 2 set (1+3) X 6 set (1+200) X Akkhan Champion (1.35) = 375114240
The total damage number of the suggest may seem to be around 3 times higher then Heaven’s Fury. However, unlike Heaven’s Fury Uliana damage is on cooldown. You can only dish out damage every 2.5 seconds. Dividing the number by 2.5 = 399,173,746. The new suggestion is still a bit higher. Yet, this number is the number for all 14 hits hit the same target. So I would said lets give it a try and scale it back a little bit if needed.

Ulliana EP Monks always have the problem that they are week against single targetes and better against enemies that have been grouped up, due to the AoE nature of the build and due to Area Damage, which works extremely well with this build.

So Rift Guardians always have been an issue for this build. That is why I suggested that something should be done about this specific issue.

I think my point was that the damage increase on Lions Claw will not really beneficial against Rift Guardians that come with minions, because if SSS will only hit the Guardian e.g. 3 times instead of 14 times, the damage increase from your suggested version of Lions Claw goes down from 1078% to 231%.

==============

Also, in regards to what I previously wrote, I must have had some brain fog with the suggestion increase the EP explosion damage against Guardians but only when they are on the Guardian.

Not sure what I was thinking. I must have been tired or exhausted.

Maybe the Ulliana set could also increaase the damage of SSS and eventually EP as well against Guardians specifically, but I am not really profocient in that build I have to say.

Maybe you can make a thread in the Monk Forum and ask them how they would buff the Uliana set or complementary items to help the builds with Rift Guardians specifically.

===============

If your calculations are correct, then it could be an improvement for sure.

Also in higher paragons the so called AOE speciality of the Uliana gooes out of the window because enemies have so much HP that not even with great gears and rolls will do enough damage.

IMO the buff should be accumulative on hit debuff to enemies everytime they are hit by the EP dtonation, otherwise the uliana will continue to struggle against everything.

1 Like

U mean a effect that work like crusader shield of fury?

Yeh exactly something like that. But being something like 1% per hit but uncapped, unlike the SoF which is 26% per hit but capped at 10 stacks.

Than it sound more like band of the stricken.

yeh imagine something like that. Put a cap if you want but thats the idea.

The difference would be that this is going to work on all enemies, not just bosses and RG. Also instead of taking increased damage, the calculation could be an elemental debuff in the lines of elemental exposure.

That is by far not enough. Better would be flat allres or % armor (similar to other classes)
Your thoughts on Rainment are ok, but you will need some immunity to cc effects, otherwise that build is not playable on most rifts (knockback, frozen, stunning trash, …)

That would make all dmg sources nullify vs generators. I like it but numbers are maybe a bit bad.

Your thoughts on epiphany sound well, I’d increase the defense buff to at least 60% (since we have no defensive ring and neither an offensive like a x3 or x4 multiplyer like necro, wd, …) and fire rune should flatly increase all dmg delt by multiplicative 50-100% (feel free to change numbers)

Things have shown that even 1500 is not that bad and not op. With 1500 on the ptr, that rxt guy got a 133 down with inna/rainment build. Compared to dh, barb, … it sounds very low.

Most important things are missing for me like make unity no choice for any build or iron out glitches such as FD proc is useless since in theory on a ltk build it should be permanent up but it is not because of lags. The restriction on kyo blade makes all runes except fire non playable since you lose dmg, so the additional dmg should be applyed to any enemy. and so on.

I’d also increase the baseline buffs on the mantras, I’d add a dmg reduction buff to one of the allys such that innas set has an indirect buff on it. I liked playing Inna WoL a lot, I’d personally love LoN (not LoD) LTK being played again but then you need to get rid of that mistake unity ring, so there needs to be more defensive buff on the items, …

So in my opinion your thoughts are ok but they dont feel to be deep enough. Since you also posted wishes on other classes you may have a good comparison on any class. I played monk only except a few short stories on sorc and wd and this season I play barb first time. I know that monk mechanics but here is a thing that does not feel right:

my non season monk has cleared 133 with 26kish dex (para around 3300, 3400). In town toughness of round 240 Mio, barely enough to survive with almost maxed out rcr rolls on the items and crimson set. My season barb has 40ish mio toughness and in fight more toughness than my monk - he has 16k str. That does not feel right, right?

With the max spirit increase from the ring, it will increase the damage bonus from shenlong. Also, the monk have around 300 spirits, with a 50% bonus it brings it to 450 spirits. 450 X 40 = 18000 which is like doubling the amount of armor for one with around 2000 paragon. This armor bonus would also benefit from mantra and Cord of the Sherma suggestion (60% increase for dual gen). Both suggesting should make Raiment playable.

I think reducing the cooldown requirment would also increase monk toughness and damage indirectly via extra affix. The buffing the skill itself without adding damage could easily lead to imbalancing. I think bring it to 60% would be way too much.

If it is buffed to 1500% then inna will be better then monkey king. I think we better make Inna 6 focus on mystic ally/ EP, but make sure that it won’t overshine other sets, e.g. inna WOL and Inna gen build.

Other sets need obviously also buffs. But I personally prefer Inna WoL over SwK WoL, I like that playstyle more :slight_smile:

Hmm, most builds have 100% uptime epi with orotz (wol, tr, ltk) and those who dont do not use epi (uli and generator). We will need something for both ways. I’d love to have a perma epi ring for generator build e.g. but I’d be fine with cc immunity but then you need defense. Yeah, your suggestions give some but those first need to be done :slight_smile: Especially gen build is hard since all skills and slots are more or less fixed. You need alacrity, sti, ex soul as a passive, you need gen, boh, dash, cs and most people use mantra + second gen for buffing off and def. You play set + diggers + wh (since you need aps), shenlolz and FD, coe, ew set and usually no band of rue since with 2.2 aps unbuffed its pretty easy to keep up spirit at max. even dash you use fire rune on pushing for maxing your aps. alle runes would be fine :slight_smile: Its really hard to get up enough defense - i needed to stack vit with paragon to survive a bit.

The buff that binding of the lost needs is to add stacks while fighting, not reset the stacks each time you do a SSS.

Also the stacks should be maintained for longer because bewteen packs, you can get one shotted before starting to fight because of no buff

The stacks should last longer… something like the archon stacks when you go out or archon and using the archoin belt.

2 Likes

I agree a little with this, but this is a characteristic of this build, it is unique, all other monk builds have CC immunity. It is a build that is not good for farm, just for push, I believe it should remain with this additional difficulty, if the player wants CC immunity, he must sacrifice some stat in his gear and use crimson + CDR to use Epiphany. What R6 / Shenlong really needs (in addition to buffs) is more damage reduction.

pretty obvious :slight_smile: but i think epi does not match in the build since usually u go for 0 cdr and rcr

R5 + crimson is able to use epiphany perfectly, so you should add CDR. Only R6 cannot.