Monk Set Changes

Starting with the set;

• 4-Piece Bonus: Each enemy within hit by Sweeping Wind increases your movement speed, and damage reduction by 5%. 6% Stacks up to 10 times.
  • 6-Piece Bonus: Attacking with Tempest Rush while Sweeping Wind is active will temporarily increase triple the size of Sweeping Wind after hitting over 30 20 times within a short period. Sweeping Wind and Tempest Rush damage is increased by 10,000% 17,500%

Eye of the Storm:

• New Legendary Power: When Sweeping Wind hits exactly 1 enemy, its damage is increased by 100%. 5 or less enemies, its damage is increased by 200-300%

Balance:
Legendary power: Reduces the cost of Tempest Rush by 50% and the damage of Tempest Rush is increased by [450 - 600]% 600-800% and when your Tempest Rush hits 3 or fewer enemies, it gains 100% Critical Hit Chance.

Cesar’s Memento:

Enemies take [600 - 800]% 800-1000% increased damage from your Tempest Rush for 5 seconds after you hit them with a Blind, Freeze, or Stun.

These changes for monk would give the new set a bit of survivability and incentive to use Tempest Rush in the build. As well as providing a damage boost for the build itself in order to compete with other builds currently in the game while also not being too powerful as to dominate the scene.

9 Likes

I was thinking there could be a new item added such as a 1 handed weapon to use that would boost and increase the damage of tempest rush. similar to how Kyoshiro’s Blade gives a boost to Wave of Light. This item could also be a ring or amulet.

The 6 set could also reduce significantly or remove the spirit cost of Tempest Rush.

The 2 set could also increase Resist All or improve on damage reduction from melee and ranged.

If the 6 piece bonus of PoJ does not buff TR, then adding a multiplier to TR via a 1 hand weapon does NOTHING for this set. It would work wonderfully with SWK TR on the other hand.

3 Likes

honestly…the sunwuko set already had tempest rush in there…

they could retarget an existing helm (like eye of storm), an existing useless bracer (krelm or lacuni), shoulder …or 1hx weapon (since 2h are almost retarded except cubed), to get purely tempest rush build ( like WoL and even lashing kick).

Aside this…they could even put a shield instead of 2x 1h weapon wield to meet defense mitigation for pushing higher rifts…

2 Likes

Patterns of Justice is not designed for Tempest Rush, please stop trying to push for it, it’s on Sunwuko already and does 13000% damage.

2 Likes

@adda It’s 1000% designed for TR, that’s why it’s referenced in the 6-piece bonus. This buffs SW while also buffing the skill they obviously wanted to go with it. It’s meant to be a “similar to WW barb” type of set. Sunwuko doesn’t apply to SW damage. It’s blatantly obviously they were going for an AoE/speed farm build with this set that’s a change up from WoL dominating the speed farm build.

2 Likes

Now wheres the math to show those numbers would be the right numbers? Or are you still just pulling random numbers out of thin air?

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean? If its about my suggestion for “Balance” - it’s a Diabo, and thus a 2-handed weapon, which already has a TR modifier on it… I’m suggesting an increase. All of the changes I listed would make this set incredibly viable.

you seem to not understand: the set does not buff tr which meabs any item woth tr boost is doing nothing. but yes, balance is a daibo. i did many suggestions here Monk and what we really need its not only the new set, also the existing are not as good as needed + the dmg numbers are still to low. anothet dmg multiplier for lets say 5-10 grift levels depending on build needs to ve added. but most important: NO UNITY ANYMORE

4 Likes

Your suggestion there for the new set is removing it and adding Sweeping Wind to Sunwuko.
While I can understand is, I do not agree with it.
The SW damage is highly underwhelming and even with Sunwuko it would not make a viable option as a main damage dealer and I for one would definitely like to see a set that can be build on SW.
TR would indeed fit nicely with it due to mobility, but I don’t think it should be part of the set, give it freedom to work with whatever the player wants.
So I personally would prefer the set to stay and changed big time.
2-Piece is fine.
4-Piece while I like the idea, DR is needed allot more than movement speed (especially on Monk), maybe leave the SW speed buff and add DR50% if SW damage an enemy in the last 5 sec. (yes same boring mechanic but the way D3 is setup its hard to get around this mechanic without making a set bad)
6-Piece Damage needs to be upped big time, I have not managed to play the set long enough (partly due to time issues partly because the experience was horrible due to lack of toughness and damage) to even give an educated guess.
Change TR to SW - Damaging an enemy with Sweeping Wind will temporarily increase the size of Sweeping Wind after hitting over 30 times within a short period.

Alas I do not have good numbers for it, but I would really like to see a working SW build for the monk.
Maybe linking the set to Epiphany aswell would be an option.
Something like add Epiphany gains the effect of every rune (2-piece) add reduce Epiphany cooldown by 50% (4-piece) and add increase Epiphany damage by 10000% and hits from SW trigger Inner Fire (6-piece), just an idea and wouldn’t implement without testing, maybe not strong enough maybe way to strong, didn’t even run numbers just spewing something that just came to mind.

ok, what to do with a new set besides (i also like the idea of something new and btw i suggested also a new set being around wearing a daibo - so) i did make much more and more detailed suggestions for a change. the most important is to get rid of unity. a few things about silly restrictions on gear like cesars, scarbringer and even kyo blade. i know the latter would push wol a bit but in fact it would make a lightning version viable. scarbringer is to make ltk better and fd proc to a perma doubled aps is in fact only needed because of serverlags because ltk should (by maths) alsways hace the doubled aps but it has not. ecen the gen would get a nice little push. but most crucial the cesars restriction, how silly it is.

btw i also would be happy with a sweeping wind set - but i’d not combine it with a non pushed spender like tr. we are on line that it needs more dmg and more dmg reduction, am i right? personally i like the idea combining it with generators and honestly my post is done before i re-tryed the set. i got a grift 100 done with it and playstyle was a new way i enjoyed. but with that set a 100 is kind of my limit (had bad maps ok) but it is like a 118 with my innas wol and with wol i die less. so obviously dr and dmg are missing for 18 grift lvl. that is huge. and my lod wol is still stronger and any other class is still stronger as lod wol. so my suggestions were to fix the existing sets to a playable level and then give us a new better thought out set with things we like. i personally would give a dmg boost when more monsters are there in the range of wind. i’d teiple winds radius 2-3x without any restriction. i’d give it a nice life regeneration ability and a reflect ability like the monsters have that reflect projectiled by a chance and you won’t be hit. i probably would give a shield that gets stronger over time such that we can use squirts (right now only sorc can). so many ideas around one new set that even never appeared.

(post deleted by author)

Generator was the first thing that came to mind, because I was searching for a way to make SW deal more damage and Shenlong seemed the best option and because single target damage is needed which is generators could assist in.
But Raiment already is claiming those and I was trying to find a new way to use the set, also to make generator viable allot of damage bonus is needed, Raiment grants 25 ias and 24000% damage in total and is not the top (taking other classes in comparison aswell) so I think some extra would not even be misplaced.
In addition keeping spirit up with Vengefull Wind in cube and Shenlong worn will not be an easy task either.
Daibo set would be a very welcome thing imo, although without some new items a Generator Daibo build is not an option unless the bonus to Generators would only work while wearing a Daibo.

The only skills not already linked to other sets (assuming they wont be overhaulling other sets which might actually be an option imo) iirc are the 4 Defensive Skills, Cyclone Strike and Epiphany.
Of those I would be most interested in seeing Epiphany given easier acces, hence the latter part of my previous post.
This make something like this:

• 2-Piece Bonus: Sweeping Wind and Epiphany gain the effect of every rune
  • 4-Piece Bonus: Each enemy damaged with Sweeping Wind increases your Reduction by 5%. Stacks up to 10 times. In addition each enemy damaged by Sweeping Wind reduces the cooldown of Epiphany by 1 second (possibly add can only trigger once per second to not get almost free epiphany)
  • 6-Piece Bonus: Damaging an enemy with Sweeping Wind will temporarily increase the size of Sweeping Wind after hitting over 30 times within a short period. Sweeping Wind damage and Epiphany Damage are increased by 10,000%.
    Sweeping Wind can now proc Epiphany - Inner Fire.

Don’t pay much attention to the numbers though, as the above build will not deal enough damage unless SW can proc Inner Fire many times per sec.

Would also still need single target damage so maybe:

• New Legendary Power: When Sweeping Wind hits exactly 1 enemy, its damage is increased by 500%.

or a new item shaped like a broom.
Daibo - Lu-Tze’s Sweeper
Secondary - Whenever Sweeping Wind deals damage to an enemy, it will proc Epiphany - Inner Fire 1 per sec for the next 7 seconds.
Subtext - Lu-Tze is the only known practitioner of Déjà fu; best described as “the feeling that you have been kicked in the head this way before.”

Sorry just had to put that item in :stuck_out_tongue:

i personally would prefer fire rune to be a simple multiplier and then a leg with gaining all runes need to exist :slight_smile:
but i see we are on line and we have more ideas than the devs :slight_smile:

I also prefer you suggestion!
I think TP is a skill which is buffed in SunWuko set and also SW but not in dmg.

Ephipany and SW could be have a better synergy between both skills and open more gameplay styles.

I think of something like this maybe

2 Set:
Sweeping Wind get the effect of every rune and while Epiphany is active “Cyclone” create now 2 tornados at the same time.

4 Set:
Epiphany get the effect of every rune and each stack of Sweeping Wind also douple the WEAPON DAMAGE of the rune “Inner Fire”.
(353 % + (13 x 353 %) = 4.942 % weapon dmg)

6 Set:
Increase all damage from Epiphany and Sweeping Wind by 15.000 % and each hit from “Cyclone” and “Inner Fire” reduce the cooldown from Epiphany by 1 second.

Eye of the Storm:
Douples the damage from Sweeping Wind if it hits 5 or less enemies and increase the damage from “Cylone” tornados to 800-950 % WEAPON DAMAGE.

Doombringer:
While Epiphany is active each second the damage of “Inner Fire” will be increase by 20-40 %.

I think you have now open options to play. Resource spenders activate Inner Fire, fast primary skills activate more Cylones and Epiphany teleport now also ALL Primary attacks to enemies or TP as a good choise between.
The dmg reduction is now given and also ressource problems…or?

You seem to have only read the support items I’ve listed, the 6th line down I’ve suggested that the 6-piece also apply to TR and be increased 75% from the current iteration.

i saw it but this is by far not enough. the dmg is approx 18 lvl behind innas wol, so about 20 behind lod and even more behind other classes. that would need a buff by 1.17^20 at least and additional mucho defenso. the suggestions on supporting legs will not help, especially any buff to items that don’t fit to wind. but i also would say those needs some lift in numbers since monk is far behind other classes

Nobody was asking for it, someone at blizzard stated themselves that they wanted it to feel similar. So maybe don’t accuse people of things that you don’t know the context of? The changes you are asking for are entirely too much for 1 PTR session and the game being in the hands of the Blizzard Classic Games team… You’re essentially asking for them to completely revamp something already baseline. They’re not going to do that. What they’re going to do (from what we’ve seen previously with sets) is modify the set they have come up with to deal more damage and play smoother. That’s what they almost ALWAYS do… You’re asking for changes that won’t happen in ~1 month of time between PTR and a live patch…

The D2 Assassin more resembles the Demon Hunter entirely more than it does the Monk. The DH already has abilities in place that could be minorly changed to be incredibly similar to D2 Trapsin.

2 Likes

welp they definitly need to buff this set to be even “not Trash”. the sugested changes are pretty sensible for the current state of this set.
The glaring issue is the missing damage-reduction in this set. We need about 50-60% dmg reduction.

2nd the dmg potential of this set is to low for a speedfarm build. In the current state you are better of to start with another class, like barb or mage and pull monk for you teamcomp afterwards, then farming with this set. (at this point why even change to monk ?). To solve this issue you can buff dmg gain of the 6-piece bonus. Maybe put an prockspeed increase effect on based of attack speed (but here lies the risk to go bonestorm bs 2.0).

3rd The effekt with hitting x enmies in short time is to inconsistent. The amount of time when thsi effekt is activ is to short. How to fix: either make that the effect lasts for severel seconds after beeing activated, increase the timeframe for getting 20 hits or reduce the hit count. And lastly specify the timeframe PLEASE. What does a “within a short period” mean? write down a definitv timeframe and have an a buff icon simmilar to Rampage-passiv buff of barb :slight_smile:

my Suggested Set desciption:

• 4-Piece Bonus: Each enemy within hit by Sweeping Wind increases your movement speed, and damage reduction by 5%. 6% Stacks up to 10 times.
  • 6-Piece Bonus: Attacking with Tempest Rush while Sweeping Wind is active will temporarily increase triple the size of Sweeping Wind for 5 seconds after hitting over 30 20 times within a short periodwithin 1 second . Sweeping Wind and Tempest Rush damage is increased by 10,000% 15,000%

(post deleted by author)