MONK - Gundo Gear and Uliana

Quite frankly I think the monk is a joke. Been practicing gen monk again since quitting it years ago and dying so easy on a 105 is a joke.

put all your para into vit ^^ Worked for me to get 115 down :wink:

1 Like

Might have to! I put 600 in it to start but may go more. I also don’t have great gear and two augs as I just geared it but still…compared to other classes, I can get to at least 110 while intoxicated seeing double and still not die :upside_down_face:

Let me preface this by saying I absolutely would welcome more DR to various Monk builds, to get rid of Unity ring plus a little extra. However there are some problems with what you’re saying.

If you’re building and playing Uliana correctly you spend a huge portion of combat time invulnerable in SSS. Further, you should be running Guardian’s Path and a well-leveled Gogok, and maintaining your DS Blinding Speed. You should be avoiding damage first, tanking it second.

Damage reduction from BotL applies as many times as it hits. If there are 14 enemies, you hit them each 1 time, and you get 70%. If there is 1 enemy, you hit it 14 times, and you get 70%. Likewise this means that Uliana stacks Stricken very well and does exceptionally well in general against single-targets considering it’s otherwise a mass-clear build.

For all purposes you should also be running Captain Crimson hybrid these days. They match almost perfectly. You may be surprised how much better Uliana feels with Captain combo.

Your suggested 2pc buff will not help your intent. CDR is obviously critical later in your progression (even more than some people realize, as I can tell by some complaints they don’t have enough of it), but unimportant early. Focus on your core items and CHC+CHD.

Finally, SSS is an insignificant portion of the build’s damage, your suggested 4pc buff will not change that, and I’m not sure why you’re trying to. A build for SSS itself is a whole separate job.

1 Like

i know. We make damage with EP, SSS does only trigger it. But if the set buffs SSS, ist should do more damage than 777%. I would it see more likley if they change the 777% Damage to SSS in increase hit through SSS by 7. Than we attack 21 times with SSS. That will be more useful than 777% damage. But i whough that more damage on SSS will help for farming. We have not to wait for EP.

He wrote 5% per enemy with EP. Not per hit with SSS. Per hit with SSS is ok to, because we hit bosses 14 times or trash 14 times. but EP will only trigger once per enemy. And than we have instead of 14x5=70%, only 5-15% in Bossfights without trash.

The 2pc buff was a fast idea. The bonus seems so weak, but i did not know what to change. So i though because of the CD of SSS that 10% would be nice. But another idea would be to increase the speed of EP goes to enemys. Maybe that EP infect neighbor enemys or if we hit an ememy with ep, the ability gives ep to a random enemy within x meters.

The Problem i have with ulianas is not the damage. Before damage gets a problem, i die in the trash during spamming ep and “waiting” for SSS. Yes damage is also a big issue, but without DR it brings nothing. And yes i know that the problem is a monk problem and not an ulianas only (expect the new set).

And yea they killed good gameplays. I loved the old shieldbash-CR. But since Season 4 its unplayable because of the change of the legendaries.

Well, what the base 4pc actually does is take the (would-be-) total damage, multiply it by 7.77, then hit 7 times with that (effectively 5439%). So it’s already stronger than it might look. In contrast, Raiment’s Dashing Strike effect only increases the base damage to 60k% rather than multiplying, so it’s weaker than it might look (effectively 16200%, but note it doesn’t affect Barrage rune).

Following these rules, Lion Claw squares itself for 4x increase in total output over the base 7 hits, rather than 2x (because the would-be-total damage is also changed). On the other hand it seems that Inna and FoE only apply separately, which is fair. But extra hits scale it especially hard.

That said, a real SSS build would need extra “normal” multipliers too. But I’d much rather keep the exact U4 mechanic (including its %) because of how cool it is and just build around it, even if it means combining PoJ onto MKG and its legendaries (as should’ve been the case to start with…) and making U4 the basis of PoJ.

I explored this, as well as some solutions for toughness, utility, and filling in the gaps with alternatives in my post here if you’re willing to check it out!

couldn’t this be fixed just by adding SSS to the 6pc bonus? along with the rest of what you said about Lions claw ect

No unfortunately, because then the set would automatically double-dip. You’d be getting two 6pc powers for the price of one, also making both spells effectively cease to be their own individual thing in the process. Likewise Sweeping Wind can’t be added to the MKG 6pc, because it would double-up with LTK and TR, but also not with WoL. And in both cases, this would mean a spell triggers its own main buff, which is not really healthy in the first place.

but isn’t that what they did to rend, to make the Waste set perform better? I don’t personally see it as being an issue. as far as double dipping. I don’t see that as an issue if the overall balance is still doing the same. which I know they stated 130 at 5k para. the set just seems super underwhelming, compared to current balance

Most sets are split between direct multipliers, and triggers for the main multiplier of another spell. You don’t cast Rend to buff Rend by that 10k%. There are some other powers where a spell does trigger its own buff in some way but I’m generally against it.

As for doubling up, WotW is in reality a Rend set only delivered by Whirlwind, just as Uliana is clearly an EP set only delivered by SSS. The portion of DPS done by the delivery spell is very low in both cases. It’s already effectively the same situation. So given that SSS has a variety of support that Whirlwind doesn’t, adding it to the main multiplier would not be the same thing at all.

I’m strongly against making it a true hybrid set regardless of numerical balance. It’s like trying to hide a smell instead of just dealing with whatever is causing it. It would still take a good chunk of work and accomplish less in the process. It would cut down on diversity, even.

3 Likes

in fact, we need more fun builds instead of meta builds.
For me personally i don’t need 20 different builds to push. i need some variety for doing bounties 100 times a day or farming 500 keys.

it’s a shame that uliana needs so many stat requirements to even run t13 compared to other fast builds. Its not uliana only, there are more builds which need just a little more love so we can at least use them for fun.

you can’t have more then 1 meta build by definition. what we can hope for is more builds close to the same power level. I actually find that keys/bounties already have the most flexibility then the “pushing” builds. but that is just me. but your right in that we need more variety

Edit: after rereading what i typed, I think we both said the same thing differently

Have you really tinkered with Uliana? Or WoL or even LTK? They don’t match PoJ or some other builds, but they’re still functional. The right setup of Uliana in particular actually gets surprisingly close in the upper half of progression. But I don’t think PoJ would ever really go away even if other numbers were buffed, because PoJ design is just that farm-compatible.

Dear RNGesus,

Please make Uliana great this S22.
I promise to be a good boy…

3 Likes

I hope so too.

I kinda wanted to play wizard or monk. But seeing that wizard has his bar full of damaging spells because of a crappy class design this season i tend more against this already.

And monk is basically using PoJ TR with shenglongs and coe and all… The stars have to align perfectly to just even keep up with GoD DH, Valorsader and MoBC necs…
Make uliana great again :frowning:

3 Likes

If only Quin69 still plays D3, he could influence Devs to improve Monk.

They already messed it up imo. When they were releasing new sets for each class they should have revised and balanced the sets then. If that part was out of the way than supporting legendaries would only need minor changes. But of course Necromancer would need a complete redesign.

They shouldn’t introduce new sets when the game is full of bugs and glitches :wink: but in the case of uliana its kind of simple, gameplay is fun so only numbers should be adjusted (ok and some things like dynamic dmg and mr usage). The set kind of just needs moar dmg and dmg reduction ^^

3 Likes

I think a good way to make things more …fun …or flashy, whilst also giving it a much needed damage boost, would be to make it so that the EP applied by SSS ‘echos’.

By which i mean, for example, if you use EP-ID, you use SSS, the EP-ED is applied and then explodes, then X seconds later another round of EP-ID goes off, but with higher damage, on any enemies still alive.

This would increase the EP damage as needed for the build, but also give some fireworks after you exit SSS and are waiting on SSS to come of CD.

I would word it, and have it work, as follows

6 Set:
"Increase the damage of your Exploding Palm by 9000%, your Seven-Sided Strike detonates your Exploding Palm. 1 second after hitting with Seven-Sided Strike, Exploding Palm detonates 1 additional time on affected enemies dealing 7 times the damage of Exploding Palm.

So what you would see is, SSS goes of, EP-ID detonates how ever many times u hit the target(s), then 1 second later 1 final explosion goes of but that explosion does 7 times the damage of a single explosion.

On a single target u’d basically have 14x ED-ID explode on SSS hits, then a second later another 7 EP-ID worth of damage in one hit.

Hitting groups of enemies this would be a big DPS increase as u could potentially hit 14 different enemies and then 1 second later each of those 14 enemies would explodes for 7x the damage of the single hit they took.

ofc this is more work than just increasing a damage figure so its not going to be implemented for sure. Still, nice to theorize.

Currently, EP is buffed by 9000%. 14 SSS Strikes give us 14 x 9100% = 127,400% EP explosions per SSS.

Large number yet why it is not doing enough?

Answer: With 60% CDR, Uliana can only perform one SSS every 5.6 seconds!

Counter: But other builds like TR monk would TR around and then unleash all the flurry stacks on Cold Cycle once every 20 seconds which is longer.

Counter Counter: TR does DPS while collecting flurry stacks. Uliana collects dusts with Gen Skills for 5.6 seconds.

Simply put: Uliana is wasting too much time not doing DPS in those 5.6 second! Taking hints from AoV, let us make good use of GenSkills.

(2) Set:
Every third hit of your Spirit Generators applies Exploding Palm. And empowers you, allowing EP explosion to deal 100% increased damage. Stacks multiplicatively.
(Or allow Uliana to gain multiple Mythic Rhythm stacks that lasts for a few seconds instead of just next spender)

NOTE: Unlike AoV that applies on every hit, this applies to every 3rd hit so it is not OP.

OR
(6) Set:
Each of your Seven-Sided Strike increases the damage of your Exploding Palm by n% and detonates your Exploding Palm.
NOTE: In this scenario, your DPS starts off from n% for the 1st strike, 2n% for the 2nd strike … 14n% on the 14th strike, for a cumulative 105n% EP damage per SSS pop.