Making Rare and Magic Items useful in D4

So you are saying you just don’t like salvaging items and or picking them up.

i dont like picking up just to salvage them^^
that idea of items literally being spare parts right from the moment when you see them, is horrible

1 Like

It’s honestly not much different from them being sold instantly to vendors for gold imo.

Items being capable of being made into crafting parts and/or sold to vendor for gold can be both done without making “90%” items worthless. Again it all depends on how in-depth the itemization is as well as how impactful and useful the items affixes are for a variety of builds. Of course, another aspect to consider would be the use of crafting materials and gold.

If this system is only for casual players, then why make it complicated with 4 effects per attribute ? Anyway, I don’t think any system should target casual or high end players only.
In this case it’s also an opportunity for casuals to break their character. Imo, any attribute should improve both damage and defense in some way.

Of course it’s just my opinion on the matter. :slight_smile: Attributes is a very complex subject.

It is pretty boring. Bloated stats with itemization being bloated stat sticks. Adding in pointless stats like hit recovery (who likes that system?) or stamina amount just to fill a 4 stat pre-defined system. To achieve what exactly?

All I see is the same boring things that D2 and D3 did. But you get to “choose” which boring stat you get to improve.

I spend 1 point I gain a small rather pointless incremental generic boost. The only reason this system might be interesting is because you made so many stats you had to grab the interesting ones like cooldown reduction or resource cost reduction.

The rest is just bloat for bloats sake. Generic broad stroke increases are boring. They’ve been done in every game across every single arpg and other rpgs.

I wish we could move past rehashing old ideas for new games.

There’s little to no utility or synergy with your skills outside the obvious cooldown reduction and resource cost reduction which you don’t need a 16 bloated stat system to do.

There’s pretty much no reason outside those two things to want different stats based on different setups of skills.

1 Like

Only those items would get salvaged that do not fulfill your set requirements you put on the “Salvage Filter”.

So it is defnitely not every singe rare and magic item like in D3.

My intent was to give each class its own Attributes with bonuses that fit the class. For example, it makes sense that a Paladin/Knight/Crusader would get bonus Armor, while a Rogue/Assassin/Monk would get Dodge Chance as their Secondary Defensive Bonus from the Defensive Attribute (the primary bonus always being x% reduced damage taken).

I experimented with just 3 Bonuses, but it didn’t round up. 4 fit perfectly.

And it is not only for casuals, snce there are also categories/types of players that fall between casual and high end players.

Impossible, because if you do so, you will end up with either nerfing things that are meant for high end players so that casuals can do it, or make everything so difficult for casuals that they will leave.

Think about Shaper and other Uberbosses in PoE being nerved to such a degree that they can be done by casuals. Think about putting ridiculously large numbers on sets and then giving everyone Haedric’s Gift at the start of a season, etc.

There has to be content and systems that cater to one kind of player more than others because it is an incentive for them to feel rewarded in a way that fits them, not something that is jst watered down in an attempt to please everyone.

And by a similar logic on a related issue we also could get rid of skills and passives that are not the best, because for the high end players there is only way correct path anyway. And we could even get rid of all other classes except the best one as well.

You mean each single Attribute should improve both Defense and Offense at the same time? But wouldn’t that be the most casual thing you can get with such a system?

Why not also spend a few points into Offense after you spend a few ones into Defense and vice versa? Would have the same effect.

Yeah, I respect that your taste is different.

Theoretically that Attribute System could be broken down to

• x% increased damage per point (Offensive Attribute)
  • x% reduced damage taken per point (diminishing returns) (Defensive Attribute)
  • x% increased movement speed per point (Mobility / Utility Attribute)
  • x% reduced resource costs + x% reduced cooldowns per point (diminishing returns) (Resource Management Attribute)

I guess you could almost say the rest is for flavor to make it fit the various classes better.

Quite a lot of people, especially from the Diablo 2 crowd.
Hit Recovery also could be replaced with a Stagger System for your Character that microstuns him when the meter is full, similar to the ones that bosses in D4 have, as suggested in this concept here

Stamina would work more like a separate resource that is specifically there for your Sidesteps / Dodgerolls, so it would work very differently in D4 with this suggestion.

If Sidesteps / Dodgerolls in D4 would drain Stamina, then they could remove the annoying Interrupt that comes after you did a Sidestep.

Points are limited and numbers can be adjusted.

For High End Players there is only one right way anyways, so according to that logic we can also get rid of all skills, passives, items, etc that are “not the best”, because “it is not really a choice”.

But aside from that, D2 had no Offensive Attribute and the Resource Attribute (Energy) was mostly useless and a Mobility Attribute did not exist. This is different here, so I disagree with the premise that this system is anywhere near “the same” as D2’s Attributes.

RCR, CDR and x% Reduced Damage Taken would have diminishing returns so that it would be impossible to reach 100%.

You probably also could not have 100% uptime on skills like Wrath of the Berserker and others anyways if it gets the feature of not starting its cooldown first after its effects have expired.

Why is intended and not a problem when you combine it with more irregular larger and more spiky upgrades from the itemization.

And that is how it has been as well in D1 and D2 (and even D3, although D3 is probably the worst one on this).

For a good reason. They give players a more cosistent sense of progression.

If progression would be just with items, there would be RNG involved, so one player might have the BiS items after 20 hours of play, while another player could play for 300 hours and still run around with mediocre items. I know this is exaggerated, but it illustrates the point.

That is what Passive Skills and Items and also other Skills are for.

You need various kinds of systems and not every single one of them should be massively changing the way your character works.

doesnt change much
as soon as you need a filter, your loot system has a problem

Depends.

Imagine that so little items would drop that you could look through each of them individually in your inventory after you return to town and you could choose individually if you wanna keep them or not.

Then a Loot Filter or a “Salvage Filter” would be more like a QoL Feature rather than something that is mandatory.

So on a “QoL Feature <—> Mandatory Feature” Scale, such a Salvage Filter would lean a lot more to a QoL Feature than something that is totally mandatory.

I don’t think so. It just makes being selective of what you want to pick up easier. Which is something you advocated as being important. Having to make that meaningful decision about what items to pick up and what to leave on the ground. So filtering unwanted items just streamlines that decision process.

yea sure
but my point was also that when you have so many items on the ground that it becomes tedious to look at them, its a bad drop balance
i like looking at stuff

And the ones that are based on base stats are BORING. D2 BORING. D3 BORING. POE BORING. Grim Dawn BORING.

Generic stats are boring. I’m tired of them. I don’t need to choose to gain a generic 1-5% damage increase or 10-50 health per level to feel progression. It’s the most boring of choices.

D2 was a good game, but hit recovery as a stat is not a good system. You’re arbitrarily held back just because you have to gain the stat to feel like you don’t just get stun locked into oblivion.

The various kinds of systems need to work together. Stats are essentially just a separate system that doesn’t influence gameplay outside of cooldown reduction and resource cost reduction. It’s just bland boring I do more damage or I take less damage or I move slightly faster.

Why are base stats and passives and skills not synergistic as a whole? That would be way more interesting.

1 Like

Heck, I would have used a filter for grey and white items in D2 and there weren’t that many. I was compelled to pick everything thing up and sell. Would have speed up may games much faster.

thats also an issue of our modern gaming community, audience and industry
short attention spawn

You were hardly compelled to pick up and sell everything in D2.
A filter for 6 socket whites etc. would surely have been useful though. Loot filters are fine imo, even if the game does not drop too many items (which it should not). Just QoL.

Not sure if you are insinuating I have a short one. I just felt D2 was a slog, and my obsession with picking up all items made it more of a slog. I don’t desire for D4 to be like current D3 as a sprint to level cap to start endgame.

I was. I never had gold due to the way I played.

none has to pick up every single items
if thats your kink, you gonna have a lot more time investment^^
but its a problem when people demand everything to be faster, easier and automated and then they are moaning about lacking endgame content because theres nothing to do
would you look at that

Yeah but most items sold for nothing. Much more efficient to only pick up the valuable items.

That’s why a filter would have speed up my game for the better.

It’s not like a loot filter system is going to automatically make the items that you’re looking for drop for you.