Looking for advice on DH build/survivability

Hi there, new to D3 after a long break. Rolled a DH in S22, but so far I’m struggling with survivability.

Can’t really handle anything past GR85 at the moment, and that usually takes about 7 mins solo.

Just looking for any help, thanks!

It’s your lucky day, I have such a DH build that’s very easy to use (minimal management and no timing needed), is very tanky (over 1B toughness easily geared), and is capable of doing GR100+ with minimal effort. For a reference, I did a GR105 last night with this build in under 3 minutes with gems at rank 100, no augments, and less than 12k Dexterity.

The key idea is: the Captain Crimson set grants a lot of toughness if you use a lot of resource cost reduction and Yang’s Recurve does just that. See the full linked post for more details.

Thanks Iria!

Interesting, you’re using Multishot over strafe, even with the GoD set?

I did swap the belts and feet out for Captain Crimson’s set, just finished a GR85 in 5 mins.

The GoD set is all about Strafe firing primaries, you don’t want to use Multishot (unless you’re a support DH in a group setting with Multishot Windchill). The Yang’s Recurve is for the 50% resource cost reduction.

Just make sure you have the correct things cubed, you don’t want to miss out on the huge damage multipliers from Hunter’s Wrath or Depth Diggers.

Oh right, for some reason I thought you had Multishot and not strafe. So here is my current setup:

https://
maxroll.gg/
d3planner/

(Can’t post links)

I’m wondering if I should take some points off of Vitality and put into Dex. Did a GR90 last night, took me over 8 minutes.

I do have the 4th cube slot occupied, not sure why it didn’t register. I’m using Ring of Royal G.

There is little reason to use captain crimson while dual wielding. Without Yangs, I would not worry about the crimson set.

Your gear doesn’t look bad to where you would struggle before GR100. You might have to play it safe when vengeance is going to go on cooldown (61% dawn is low) but other than that just keep improving on rolls. Strafe does not really do damage, so that is not a good roll for your boots. Also you have physical rolled on your bracer, should be cold.

So if you ditch captains set, you can ditch rrog and use flavor of time in cube and wear an actual amulet. Alternatively, you can use a Yangs and cube dawn instead of elusive. You will end up with the more dr because you can have 100% gloom uptime.

Be careful on thinking that ancient items are automatically upgrades. Many times a well rolled non ancient is better than a bad rolled ancient. This holds true for the flavor of time, I dont think the double pylon is worth how much of a hit you take from having a bad amulet.

I didn’t see a Hunters Wrath belt in the cube. That is 200% damage you are missing…

There is little reason to use captain crimson while dual wielding. Without Yangs, I would not worry about the crimson set.

So Yangs buffs multishot, should I enchant it to buff strafe or Hungering? Is the “resource reduction” the only reason to use Yangs? I thought Dawn and Valla’s were BIS?

Your gear doesn’t look bad to where you would struggle before GR100. You might have to play it safe when vengeance is going to go on cooldown (61% dawn is low) but other than that just keep improving on rolls. Strafe does not really do damage, so that is not a good roll for your boots.

So perhaps it’s my playstyle too. What I do is, get full ranks of Torment, then just keep strafing through the whole dungeon. When I get to a rift guardian, I just spam Hungering. I try to keep Companion and Vengeance buffs up, along with FoK and Shadow Power. Am I doing something wrong?

You will end up with the more dr because you can have 100% gloom uptime.

Sorry how is that happening? What do you recommend for Amulet?

Be careful on thinking that ancient items are automatically upgrades. Many times a well rolled non ancient is better than a bad rolled ancient.

Well I only got 1 ancient crossbow, can’t remember which one it is…but it’s still less on stats.

I didn’t see a Hunters Wrath belt in the cube. That is 200% damage you are missing…

Normally I would wear it when I don’t wear the Captain’s set. I went with Depth Diggers instead of the belt.

Throw up a link to your normal GoD build.

It’s pretty much the same build as this one:

https://
maxroll.gg/
d3planner/

Except I have Hunters Wrath and GoD boots on. Same talents, paragon points, neck/rings etc.

Right now I’d probably recommend that you go back to the basics. Straight up GoD and learn how to run it effectively then branch out into one of the many fun and maybe more effective variations that are out there.

Make sure your Hunters Wrath has Hungering Arrow damage rolled as a primary and a nice secondary stat.

As previously mentioned, Strafe is very minimal damage with this set, multipliers of minimal damage result in less minimal damage, but still suboptimal.

According to the D3 Planner like, you have zero para in Dex. DH’s kinda run on Dex.

Fan of Knives on your chest is not doing very much for you. The reason we use FoK is for the additional armor and the slows, not for the damage (with this set) That would be a good spot for Vit, then you can move vit paragon to dex.

As previously mentioned, your Wraps of Clarity need to be replaced. Physical damage increases don’t do anything for your primary cold skills.

There are lots of other things you can roll, but I’m assuming your don’t have a ton of mats build up yet. Taking care of these little things will help a lot, as will improving game play.

As previously mentioned, Strafe is very minimal damage with this set, multipliers of minimal damage result in less minimal damage, but still suboptimal.

So how do you guys normally run dungeons? As I mentioned, I go up to 20 stacks of Momentum and strafe through. I use Hungering only to replace moment, since I am mostly surrounded by mobs, I go with Strafe AOE.

Make sure your Hunters Wrath has Hungering Arrow damage rolled as a primary and a nice secondary stat.

Yes, I believe I got this done!
Good to know that FoK isn’t for the damage but for armor/slows.

As previously mentioned, your Wraps of Clarity need to be replaced. Physical damage increases don’t do anything for your primary cold skills.

Any recommendations? Should I cube it for the bonus to DR?

There are lots of other things you can roll, but I’m assuming your don’t have a ton of mats build up yet. Taking care of these little things will help a lot, as will improving game play.

Surprisingly I have plenty of mats, so by all means, please let me know :slight_smile:

Dawn and Valla’s may be BIS for pushing. The resource reduction is straight damage reduction because of captain crimson, and just strafing through huge empty spaces is nice when you have to do that. Any weapon will take you to GR100. The biggest problem with using Yangs is getting a decent quiver. That 450-600 damage range is annoying.

Get momentum stacks and strafe around. I put hungering arrow on my mousewheel (in additon to its other hotkey) so I just have to scroll every second or so. Keep strafing with the boss, too. You should never not be in strafe.

Any amulet that does damage is fine. Flavor of time is really good, but if you are giving up dex, cc, AND chd for it, it isn’t worth it.

I missed this, but it is kind of a huge deal. Use both Depth Diggers and Hunters Wrath, and you would drop depth diggers first because hunters wrath does more damage. I dropped Depth Diggers for Avarice band for T16 bounties.

I’ve seen people say (write) that even a less optimal Flavor of Time is preferable. Double uptime of conduit, power and shield is huge in a GR.

What about the companion? Wondering if I should use Boar for survivability, at least until my gear gets better?

Also, it turns out I can change the Flavor of Time to another FoT (I kept like 4-5). What stat do I want in there? I Imagine socket, dex, crit dmg or chance, right? What about cooldown reduction or resource cost reduction?

Or a hellfire amulet that already has a socket, and gives night stalker passive.

You need CDR… and socket on the amulet. Then you can reroll +movement speed to something better.
You should also use Awareness instead of Archery… and Stricken is only good for higher GRs when RG battles begin to take too long (you do know that Stricken only works on one monster at a time even if you’re fighting a huge crowd?). So Trapped is better for now. But you need CDR for full Vengeance and Fan of Knives uptime (so you need CDR on gloves and shoulders… 5% is too low on shoulders). If you use full set, you could have Leorics in cube). Many players use Preparation Focused mind to keep up Shadow power or Smoke Screen.

The FoT you are defending is Dex, life %, cdr, movement speed. A crit/crit anything would be better at this stage. OP hasnt breached GR100 yet.

2 Likes

Most recent update: swapped to boar companion, changed chest FoK damage to Vitality and put all Paragon points from Vit to Dex (+94)

Did GR90 in 5:20 (compared to 8:20 last night).
Did GR95 in about 8

Also, my CDR is at about 38% right now. I can keep FoK up 100%, and Vengeance is missing about 2 seconds tops.

So Trapped is better for now

Leveling this slowly, it’s only at about 20 at the moment.

You should also use Awareness instead of Archery

Really? Is that because of my low survivability? I feel like the 5% bonus to crit from archery (on each hand crossbow?) is pretty good.

Many players use Preparation Focused mind to keep up Shadow power or Smoke Screen.

Which skill would I give u to get Preparation though?

If you don’t die often it’s fine not to use Awareness of course.
You would give up boar for preparation. . But some players do use companion (wolf or boar) so it’s not wrong to use that skill.
You can get inspiration from youtube guides and also look at the Demon Hunter leaderboard (use “show hero details” to see the equipment used at the time of the record).

1. Copy the URL to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your forum post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post
  4. Click the </> button in the editor
  5. This will turn your URL into pre-formatted text
  6. Whilst not clickable, the URL will be properly formatted so others can copy / paste it like this… https://maxroll.gg/d3planner/532009997