Legendary gem suggestions for patch 2.7

I want to see more competing options for legendary gem. So in the following post, I am going to suggest ways for creating those options.

Foreword:
Bane of the trapped provides 60% increased damage, while Taeguk provides 80% increased damage. They are balanced against one another for 3 main reasons.

1. BOTT provides an independent multiplier of its own category, but Taeguk damage will be mixed with other bonuses (additive).
  2. Taeguk got a stack-up process, for builds that cannot maintain its channeling effect indefinitely. It reduces the effectiveness of the gem.
  3. Taeguk only works with channeling skills, like the simplicity strength only works with primary skills.
    So I will try to keep each gem provide 60% damage bonus (multiplicative), and some will got stacking

Mirinae, Teardrop of the Starweaver

• 15% chance on hit to smite a nearby enemy for 3000% +60% damage as Holy and heal the character for 3% of maximum Life.
  • Rank 25 bonus: Smite a nearby enemy every 3 seconds. Convert all your damage to holy damage (still affected by elemental damage of the original skill, double-dip when using SOJ)

Adding a double-dip mechanism would make both items more interesting. We can also make the converted skill benefit from both holy and the original element cycle of COE.

Invigorating Gemstone

• Upon a successful hit, increases healing received and resource generation by 2% for 5 seconds, stacking up to 10 times.
  • Upgrading increases healing bonus by 0.04% .
  • Rank 25 bonus: become immune to Crowd Control. Also, increase your maximum life, primary and secondary resources by the same amount.

Increasing resource generation and maximum resource would be an interesting choice for star pack wizard, UE demon hunter, shelong gen monk, Spirit barrage witch doctor or even HOTA bar.

Gem of Efficacious Toxin

• Poison all enemies hit for 2000% + 50% damage as Poison over 10 seconds. All enemies you poison take 10% increased damage from all sources and deal 10% less damage with all attacks.
  • Rank 25 bonus: Each poisoned enemy grant you 2.5% of poison damage (additive with elemental damage)

Added elemental damage so that, it could be used as a damage gem not just a supportive gem. I think this can become the alternative for pain enhancer.

Iceblink

• increase the critical damage of your cold skill by 120% + 1%
  • Rank 25 bonus: All Cold skills always Chill enemies, slowing them by 80% for 1 second, gain additional 10% Critical Hit Chance against Chilled or Frozen enemies.

Added critical damage so that it could be useful in other build.

Gogok of Swiftness

• On each successful attack, increases your Attack Speed and Dodge chance by 1%+0.01% for 4 seconds, stacking up to 15 times.
  • Rank 25 bonus: Also gain 1% Cooldown Reduction per stack.

Increased the attack speed and dodge chance that it provide, so that it is not just used for the cooldown.

Moratorium

• 35% + 0.1% of all damage taken is instead staggered and dealt to you over 20 seconds. 20% chance on kill to clear all staggered damage.
  • Rank 25 bonus: Resource you spend is also staggered.

This will make it provide 50% damage reduction. Also, the rank 25 effects could act as resource cost reduction effects that work with the spend-all resource attack. It could make it attractive from build like singularity mage or star pack.

Wreath of Lightning

• 15% chance on hit to gain a mini-Conduit 1250% + 25% damage as Lightning every second to nearby enemies for 3 seconds.
  • Rank 25 bonus: While under the effect of mini-Counduit, gain 25% increased movement speed. Your movement speed bonus also increase lighting skill damage. (additive with elemental damage)

Added bonus lighting damage based on movement speed, as I want this to be the choice for speed farming build.

Bane of the Powerful

• Gain 25% increased damage for 30 + 1 seconds after killing an elite pack
  • Rank 25 bonus: Increases damage against elites by 25% and reduces damage taken from elites by 25%.

Increased the number a bit to make it competitive with BOTT.

New fire gem (Boon of the firestarter)

• Each you deal fire damage to enemy, increases fire damage it takes from your attacks by 1%. Stack (10 + 0.33) times
  • Rank 25 bonus: Double the effect of your stack to the enemy with a maximum stack.

This would be a different version of BOTS that works on multiple enemies but got a stack limit. It is designed to provide 120% increased damage when reaching the maximum stack, but it got a long stack up time, the gem needs to stack for 60 times at level 150 for the doubling effect to occur. Ideally, one should use it with damage over time fire skill or fire skill with fast attack speed.

Mutilation Guard

• Reduces melee damage taken by 15% + 0.3% .
  • Rank 25 bonus: You can move unhindered through enemies and Waller affix barriers. All gems gain the effect of all normal gems.

Assuming 3 legendary gems + 3 in chest + 2 in pant that will give 2240 all stat and 624 all resistance. 270 damage, 20% elite damage, 28k life per hit, 12.5% cc, 12.5% rcr, 23% life. It will become an interesting gem. Pairing with leonic crown, it could result in 23% cc, 23% rcr, and 46% life, which make it very good for any build which use the crown.

5 Likes

The effect of the gem has you as the fire starter right, since it is based on your fire damage? Then it should be Boon of the Fire Starter.

2 Likes

Bane of the Trapped should also become a bot more nice imo, since it already is so prevalent.
I would give it the Krysbin’s Sentence treatment:

Bane of the Trapped

• Increase damage against slowed and chilled enemies by xx% +y% per level
  • Level 25 Bonus: Double/triple that amount against enemies under a Hard CC Effect (Stun, Freeze, etc)

I like this one a lot!

Nah, not really liking this.
It will just lead to a similar playstyle as Firebirds. I mean, you already have to pile up enemies due to Area Damage in high GR’s, so I would not double down on causing even more lag with something like this.

I simply would redesign this gem:

Gem of Efficacious Toxin

• Increase your poison damage by xx% +y% per level
  • Level 25 Bonus: enemies you hit with Poison Damage become poisoned for 10 seconds, which causes them to deal 10% less damage, take 15% more damage from your attacks and have their healing reduced by 20%

or something like that.

yeah, it is definitely good the reverse the slow and the damage effect of these things.

But I would redesign the Level 25 Bonus a bit further to make it more fitting around the fantasy of a freeze.

Iceblink

• increase the critical damage of your cold skill by 120% + 1% per level
  • Level 25:: All Cold skills always Chill enemies by 80% for 2 seconds and they have a xx% chance to freeze enemies. Also gain additional 10% Critical Hit Chance against Frozen enemies.

^^ added a chance to freeze enemies to the secondary and let the 10% increased crit chance only apply to frozen enemies. It imo fits the fantasy better.

That is nice!

While I agree that the amount of damage staggered should increase per level and not the duration, I think the resource stagger is out of place.

The problem that Moratorium has is that it does not trigger the loss of its debuff too often.

This here would be my suggestion.

Moratorium

• 35% + 0.1% per level of all damage taken is instead staggered and dealt to you over 10 seconds.
  • Level 25: 20% chance on kill to clear all staggered damage AND 15% chance on hit to clear all staggered damage

the level 25 Bonus needs to be higher, at least according to the people who have calculated it.

iirc their conclusion was

• Level 25: 35% increased damage against elites.

The reduced damage taken from elites could imo also be 20-25%.

If you really wanna have a speed farming gem, I would split this gem into two different ones:

• a Lightning Damage Gem
  • and a Movement Speed Gem

“Movement Speed Gem”

• Gain xx% +y% per level of your increased movement speed as increased damage and also increase your movement speed by 0.2% per level.
  • Level 25: Remove the Movement Speed Cap. Become Immune to all Crowd Control Effects. You can move unhindered through enemies and Waller affix barriers.

^^ this sounds like a really, really, fun speed farming gem to me.

“Lightning Gem”

• Increase critical hit damage of lightning skills by 120% + 1% per level
  • Level 25: your lightning skills have a 20% chance to trigger additional Chain Lightnings at nearby enemies that each hit up to 2 (or 3) additional targets, which deal damage based on the initial lightning damage from your skill.

^^ so this is basically a lightning version of Area Damage, but it only hits up to 2 or 3 additional enemies instead of every enemy in 10 yards.

That probably would be too many calculations going on at once.
There is a reason for why BotS only works on a single enemy at the same time.

Also, the gem should be called BOON of the Firestarter as r0xo mentioned.

A Bane is something detrimental, while a Boon is like a blessing or something beneficial.

Currently no good idea comes to my mind on how to rework the gem. Maybe I come back later with an idea.

That is an interesting idea. Really!

However, I think the Level 25 Bonus is misplaced in this gem. I would split it into two different gems.

Mutilation Guard

• Reduce melee damage taken by 20% + 0.2% per level.
  • Level 25: gain 30% of your Reduced Melee Damage Taken as Reduced Damage Taken and Increased Damage.

^^ that will make people wanna stack Reduced Melee Damage Taken on other items as well. When you have 60% Reduced Melee Damage Taken from all sources combined, then you gain 20% reduced Damage Taken (to all kinds of damage) and 20% increased damage (damage output) on top of that.

Of course the numbers can be different as well, they are just here for the purpose of illustrating the concept.

“a gem-buffing Legendary Gem”

• Increase the damage of all non-legendary gems in your equipment by xx% + y% per point
  • Level 25: All gems socketed in your gear, also grant xx% of the effect of all other, normal gems.

The Level 25 Bonus would or should probably not get buffed by the other bonus of the gem.

imo something like this would make more sense than putting a gem buffing effect on Mutilation Guard.

But that is just my feedback on your proposal.
I like most of it.

On some of your suggestions I think the fantasy and mechanics are a bit out of place, but overall it is good.

Thanks for posting.

I don’t think it is a good idea to increase the power of BOTT even further, cause it would create power inflation.

thx for pointing that out

1 Like

I think on hit is a pretty good way to go. I tried this gem out with a R6 Monk and dying after 80% of the RGs is a poor feeling. You will simply die thanks to the gem. I think this gem needs to get rid of the staggerd dmg after elites kills and riftguardian kills

1 Like

It would be a nerf to Bane of the Trapped, since it would become less powerful against slowed enemies, but more powerful against enemies under a Hard CC.

The gem then would become more niche.

You basically had to nerf its current damage bonus from the primary (xx% damage + y% damage per level) in a way that the gem is balanced with others of course, but so that it unfolds most of its damage against Stunned, Frozen, Charmed, Feared, Immobilized enemies, etc.

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think that’s the right direction for this because it’s mostly used in CDR starved setups but the gem is inconsistent with it’s buffs with the attacking component and stacking component. It reduces your character’s CDR if you can’t squeeze in your cooldown ability after you stacked up or before it drops from lack of targets, then you lose out. I would rather they make it awesome AND consistent like this:

• Increases your Cooldown reduction, Attack Speed and Dodge chance by 12.5%(+0.05%/Rank).
  • Rank 25 bonus: On each successful attack, reduce one of your remaining cooldowns by 0.5 second.

I agree with all of you on this one, I would merge it as follows :

• 35% (+0.1%/Rank) of all damage taken is instead staggered and dealt to you over 10 seconds.
  • Rank 25 bonus: 25% chance on kill to clear all damage over time effects on you (100% chance on elites) and reduce all resource costs by 20%.

I like the idea on this one but I feel like your Rank 25 addition is really not that effective or useful as is except for a couple builds and the normal bonus is too strong (80% is a lot), maybe :

• Upon a successful hit, increases healing received and resource generation by 2% (+ 0.02%/Rank) for 5 seconds, stacking up to 10 times.
  • Rank 25 bonus: become immune to Crowd Control and any healing you receive beyond your maximum life is added as an absorb shield, totaling 30% of your maximum life.

I like this idea a lot.

1 Like

I vote for this…

I posted this elsewhere, but I’ll go ahead and post my suggestions as a reply to your thread where they belong. There are many gems that need rebalancing, and I haven’t mentioned all of them, but I have suggestions to improve some.

One such gem is the Bane of the Powerful. It gives:
+20% DMG for 30 (+1/level) seconds after killing an elite pack.
Level 25 Bonus: +15% Damage versus Elites & 15% less damage from elites

This amounts to a very minimal bonus. The extra time from levels quickly becomes unecessary; it’s 60s at L30, 100s at L70, 180s at L150, and even with it active 100% of the time it’s not helping as much as other legendary gems even in its best-case scenario situation.

Increasing the damage bonus and reducing the duration will bring this gem back in the game. Increase damage by +40% for 20s (+0.5s per level).
Level 25 Bonus: +15% Damage versus Elites & 15% less damage from elites

In the best-case scenario for this gem where it’s L150 and the 95s duration granted by that is enough to keep it up 100% of the time, the player will be looking at +61% damage against elites, -15% damage from elites, and +40% damage against everything else. At L1 players doing Rifts in 2-3 minutes will experience 100% uptime. At L25, 4-6 minutes. At L75, 10-12 minutes. By L100 it lasts 60 seconds and should be up around 100% of the time even in slow rifts unless the player gets stuck going longer than usual without killing an elite pack. This is compared to other gems that give more damage than that against everything which includes elites, on all of the damage that they’re dealing. So it won’t become an automatic all-powerful gem, but at least it will serve a useful purpose for some builds that don’t benefit as well from options like Bane of the Trapped, Taeguk, or Simplicity’s Strength. It will be particularly useful for players that haven’t gotten the gem to a high level but are doing fast bounties or rifts.

Invigorating Gemstone - Each hit done increases healing received by 1% (+0.02% per level) for 5 seconds. Stacks up to 10 times.
Level 25 Bonus: You are Immune to Control-Impairing effects.

This healing amounts to a max of +40% healing received with a level 150 Gem. 40% Healing Received is less valuable than 30% damage reduction which amplifies healing and toughness by even more. That extra healing amounts to very little, compared to what other Legendary gems have to offer. This gem doesn’t increase damage. It doesn’t help teammates. It doesn’t reduce damage taken which is a more valuable defensive trait. It heals, which doesn’t stop you from getting 1-hit but does help keep you healed after. Even if that healing were a more significant amount than a damage bonus or toughness bonus, it would still be a less valuable benefit. That’s why I have to suggest such a dramatic increase:
Invigorating Gemstone - Each hit done increases healing received by 3% (+0.06% per level) for 5 seconds. Stacks up to 10 times.
Level 25 Bonus: You are Immune to Control-Impairing effects.

The new max for this gem at Level 150 would be +120% Healing Received with a Level 150 Gem. That’s a lot of healing, yes, but without giving you any toughness to make that healed health last longer. It would still not be the first pick for a surviving gem.

Mutilation Guard - Gain 10% melee damage reduction. (+0.5% per Rank).
Level 25 Bonus: While below 50% Life, you may move through enemies unhindered.

This caps out as a 60% reduction to melee damage. It could be compared to another gem that gives +60% non-physical damage reduction. With both gems, the player is still taking full damage from physical ranged attacks. The other gem also increases resistances by a drastic amount when below 50% Life, which is a very helpful L25 bonus. This gem is only reducing damage from melee attacks, which are easy to see coming and aren’t usually what players who need a defensive gem are worried about getting killed by. As such, it should reduce that damage taken by an amount significant enough to help even though it’s not contributing againt so many other sources of damage. The L25 bonus of moving through enemies when health is below 50% is an interesting idea to limit it to being used for surviving and not getting trapped, but that limitation severely impacts the usefulness of the gem. If the player isn’t dying, they can’t even move through enemies, and it isn’t helping. They might even be in combat and be getting attacked by many enemies, but if they’re taking the hits fine and not dropping under half, they can’t even move unhindered. Here is my suggestion:
Mutilation Guard - Gain 20% melee damage reduction. (+0.5% per Rank).
Level 25 Bonus: While below 90% Life, you may move through enemies unhindered.

This brings it up to 70% melee damage reduction at max level, which is now helping more significantly against melee attacks to make up for not protecting the player from anything else. The L25 bonus will still not be active 100% of the time so as to not replace other unhindered movement items, but now the player can pretty reliably move through enemies while in combat.

Enforcer Gem Increases the damage of your pets by 15% (+0.3% per Rank.
Level 25 Bonus: Your pets take 90% less damage

This amounts to +45% Pet damage at L100 and +60% at L150 along with keeping your pets alive, which can help but at best this just means your pets are alive as they should be and dealing +45% damage, while other gems easily provide the player with more damage that can easily be applied to all of the damage they’re dealing. Pet damage builds are not very common. Pet builds are already less effective; they don’t need further nerf at the legendary gem for them by not gaining as much damage from it as other builds can from the gems made for them. The player has to make a lot of sacrifices to design a build where all of their damage output is coming from pet damage; and even then they still don’t get much damage. I suggest a modest improvement:
**Enforcer Gem - Increases the damage of your pets by 20% (+0.4% per Rank).
Level 25 Bonus: Your pets take 90% less damage
This brings the new L150 cap up to +80% pet damage.

Moratorium - 35% of all damage taken is instead staggered and dealt to you over 3.00 seconds. (0.1s per level)
Level 25 Bonus: 20% on kill to clear staggered damage.

At level 150, best-case-scenario as long as the player is slaughtering enemies at a rate where they’re probably clearing rifts in 2-5 minutes, the gem amounts to almost 35% damage reduction, with the player still taking small amounts of the staggered damage before it is cleared. That’s not very good considering that it’s taking up a spot a different Legendary Gem could have gone in. It’s only helping you survive when you’re killing fast, and if you’re killing fast, then you aren’t doing the highest difficulty that your damage can handle; so it’s only helping you survive when you’re too weak to survive enemies that you’re already slaughtering, and even then it stops helping you as soon as you’re done slaughtering the trash mobs and trying to finish the Elites; which is exactly when you no longer have so many enemies to heal from hitting. With such selective usefulness, it should at least be the best survivability gem for that very specific scenario. Which is why I suggest:

Moratorium - 60% of all damage taken is instead staggered and dealt to you over 3.00 seconds. (0.1s per level)
Level 25 Bonus: 20% on kill to clear staggered damage.

This amounts to nearly 60% damage reduction. Bear in mind that if the player is killing 5 enemies in 5 seconds which is typical for a 6-10 minute rift, then even with a level 150 Gem they’ll be taking on average about 30% of the staggered damage before it gets cleared. If the player is slaughtering 5 enemies every second, then they’re still taking over 5% of the staggered damage which means they’re reducing their total damage taken by 55% in that situation. Clearing staggered damage before it’s carried out over its full duration doesn’t mean not taking any of the staggered damage at all. The damage is suffered over time, which means that players still take some of that stagger damage before they clear it.

I’m not sure if you read some of the other suggestions but there are some good, cleaner solutions already posted. More Healing is OK on Invigorating, but I’d rather see something like other suggestions, where it combines the healing and with a more defensive benefit.

I think you’re moving in the right direction on Moratorium but as we’ve talked about some, clearing the damage after a fight (RG or otherwise screen clear with Jugg or hard elites) you run the risk of dying if the 20% doesn’t clear the damage.

We need a “boon of experience”.
You get +gr25 experience from orek (closing GR). This exp-bonus works till GR75. (1 lvl per level). gem is capped at lvl 75.
level 25 bonus: +25% Movement.

You play lvl75 but you get the experience from orek (by closing GR) as if you finished GR100. You play GR45, you get GR70 exp.

No bonus if you play lvl76 or lvl100, but here you can improve your other gems above lvl75!

This should help low paragon players and solo players alot to grind paragons.

1 Like

I think Pain Enhancer would like some love.

Right now, its main bonus is not used at all, and its AS bonus is used in very limited builds.

I was experimenting with a DH in D3Planner, and maxed out AS breakpoint for Strafe with 78% AS on sheet, and it got me thinking…

Pain Enhancer

• Every attack inflicts a stacking bleed effect with (X value of weapon damage) for (Y seconds) [cannot crit?]
  • lvl25: Your weapon damage is doubled, but your total crit damage is halved

The idea is

• to make a build-defining gem (like Boyarsky, but on steroids — as in your primary/main damage source)
  • make AS useful in gear