Last hero...who is he?

Possibilities are endless.

If spear and shield interests people it could simply be a faction of the amazons. The oracles trained in the art of spear and shield and time magic to battle the new threat. (first pick even over druid for me.)

Hell knight. A fallen holy warrior with sword and shield. Since heavens closed he binds and uses demons.

Death knight. Necro with shield and whatever.

Sorry to the crusaders, templars, paladin fans, but i think it would be way more interesting than any old class with rehashed skills.

2 Likes

They are but I think they’d be the least likely candidates in that regard, that is unless Kormac actually succeeded with what he intended to do by the end of Diablo 3 RoS, in which case they’d be equal with the Crusader and Paladin.

Something worth mentioning is that holy and/or light magic/energy should still exist for humans to use within Sanctuary even with the gates of Heaven closed. Most of the classes that draw upon the power of light do so from within themselves, rather than the Heavens (at least that’s the case if we’re to look at some of the Diablo 2’s paladin’s skill lores, and Diablo 3 monk’s items). So a holy warrior class making a reappearance for Diablo 4 is very much possible.

That said, I do agree that having something new, would be nice, although I won’t complain if the final unrevealed class the game’s launch is another returnee from the previous games.

3 Likes

Thats also a possibility, so i wouldn’t cut them out complitely. But as you wrote maybe the base game will have old characters, and the expansions will have some new.

1 Like

Well, your post is in the spirit of the dark four, where there is very little light: one monastery hires rogues to collect ears, another order of monks in fractured peaks [or the same one] seeks the path of light in the darkness, its symbol is shown in the pale knight, diablo is always a fight for path to light.

I mainly describe weapons and armor that were never or little used in the skills of the heroes, since in the fourth series there will be a binding of skills to a certain type of weapon, then the spear and shield were less often used by different skills, and the spear was generally used by a useless ally and the only skill "spear ancient "at the barbarian in d3 and not tied to this type of weapon. Btw, a knight with a spear on a horse looks great in the spirit of medieval realism, which the blizzard team is doing now.

1 Like

These kinds of “reply for the sake of replying” infuriate me tbh cause people fail to realise what’s at stake here

IF they release a Paladin (for the sake of releasing a Paladin) then there won’t be anything new, and not just that but there’s a further issue of “used resources” that diminishes the path of creativity forward

“Light” can exist in many forms, Priest is lame(±ish) sure but the important point is that as long as the light “theme” it’s not TIED/coupled to the S&B “archetype” there are still OPTIONS for creation

Relase the Paladin (SnB + light) and your hands are “tied” (with very limited options), and it’s kinda bad that people don’t see it from that point of view

It’s really ESSENTIAL for us to see that limitation moving onward (for the sake of the game, on the long run) overall

3 Likes

Well yes and no. There’s wisdom in what you wrote i give that but, if you look at D3 most of the character arcetypes are a mix, and over lap each other. For example the holy warrior type branches in to two. The Crusader and the Monk. Both melee, only the fantasy behind them devides them, and the main stat.

1 Like

I’d argue it’s that they had the space to add a Crusader because they released a Monk first, if it was a Paladin then that train would’ve been gone :thinking: :slight_smile:

I mean sure, one can still “create” but again, the more means are used the harder it is to “come up” with something new

Let’s just say hypothetically instead of a Paladin they come up with a “Holy archer”, now you can release a fighter from up close that is more darker-themed, or say they released a “classic” warrior with Spears, SnB and Crossbow (sort of like Conquistador) that opens up space for a more “light centric” mage fighter, e.t.c.

I guess your example with Monk/Sader does hold a point but again, I’d argue that there was the room for both PRECISELY BECAUSE the more “unconventional” was released first

2 Likes

I think untill there’s a convetional and unconvetional form of the same base type, it dosen’t mater which comes first, if there are features, caharacteristics, and the fantasy behind them, that seperates them from eachother. It has to be a verry conspicuous difference tho.

1 Like

There is nothing sacred in this dark and bloody four. Truly dark times have come, a cult of blood with sacrifices, murders and robberies. If there is a knight, then certainly not a saint, like the following classes.

I agree with this take to some extent. If you exhaust your archetypes with things we’ve already seen before then it makes fitting in truly new classes much more difficult. Having said that, there is a way in which this might not be a problem

I’m hoping for something from PoE (and a bunch of other games) to find its way into the Diablo series for the first time, and that is class ascendancies or specializations. It would be really interesting to see D4 build their endgame progression around such specializations. It would also explain the lack of apparent build depth in their skill tree system if it is just determining the base build that can be further refined/specialized in endgame.

I actually dislike the concept of class specialization, as it often feels as though the class gets shoehorn into predetermined builds (not saying all games with specializations does this). I think that any kind of specialization should be determined by the player’s gear, build, and skill/talent choice, rather than a subclass acquisition.

1 Like

Let’s face it, while all the ascendancy choices look great on paper, just like D3, most just google best x build and copy that. The new patch video for PoE even said players just play the top builds.

This is more of a player problem though. No matter how many choices players are presented with, most will seek the easiest path. One of the reasons I want to like PoE is because of the options since I like to do my own thing. I make mu own builds in ARPGs, I build my own decks in TCGs, and I play how I like in MMOs.

1 Like

Though all that end-game stuff may be cool I still prefer that the game itself becomes an “endgame” (by itself) earlier

Ofc. the 1-shotting shouldn’t be a thing, but something (some mechanic) which determines whether next hit you take is gonna be lethal or not and is quite interractive/dynamic should probably be a thing

Either that, OR, slow down the combat (like quite a bit) and hope that the Blessing/Curse and CC/cleanse cycles determine more the “outcome” of a battle rather than a direct damage hits IMO
 Ofc, most lethal hits should still come at melee range but stuff that “pecks” you from afar (or further) should probably make you take more damage from hits up close (in a direct or indirect manner) rather than be lethal in an independent manner

It might not sound as cool or “diverse” to some but think it’s the better route to “soft force” almost all classes/builds into a more closer combat and more melee-on-melee sustan battles, that’s probably the only way to not force the game into super late game and then “get cheated” to get beaten
 It would also probably be more different compared to other games in the genre ATM tbh

So ONCE that is kinda “dealt” with, don’t think that “endgame” is a separate issue
 Ofc, curious to see what the devs actually come up with (at the next Q update afair) but even without a “specific” endgame system, the game could be designed to be more “high risk high reward” from earlier phases overall

Ofc, it may not be one of the goals that Blizz “hunts” but it’s a nice way to make the game different from the other games that are there though

Also: whoops, topic derailed, sry lol

2 Likes

None of that matters for the sake of “more options/creativity” because the paladin is just objectively a more popular class than any other “holy” archetype they could come up with. The paladin isn’t my go-to class but its certainly a class I’d actually play and would also rather play than a lame monk or priest. Besides the paladin was skipped over in D3 technically so it has been a while. I’d like to see its return with some new tricks since its D2 days.

As far as thinking ahead, if D4 is going to be a supported game for many years ahead due to a well monetized microtransaction shop to help pay for that then I expect to see MANY additional classes down the line.

1 Like

Interestingly how you dismiss the “creativity issue” I brought, but then followed it up with even greater a concern (at least in my view), mainly with the following statement:

Care to elaborate
 ? :slight_smile:

My gripe is mostly with said “holy” archetype. I know most people are afraid of change and just want to see their comfortable classes back with new graphics.

But my opinion is the complete opposite. Bring archetypes in fighting style back but with new themes at least. I guess it’s a matter of opinion but in every damn RPGs out there you always have the rogue, always the warrior, barb, always the paladin, always the priest or druid or elementalist or necro. It gets old.

Now D4 reuses all of these classes and brings them back from their own franchise. They need to have staple skills and it takes the place away from novelty.

Why not a bard that’s also great with all weapons.
A battle mage that’s not holy.
An holy archer.

1 Like

Well they could mash together characters to make a new? Paladin and Necro? Makeing a Death Knight? Or something like that?

1 Like

How about a rogue-mage, that stabs people with sharp wands?

1 Like

No no no no
 Shooting the wands from crossbows. Now thats epic! :grin:

My elaboration would be that if this game gets consistent support I don’t see why they wouldn’t release another 5 classes or more after the first 5 whether its in tandem with expansions or just releasing a class with a little bit of additional content in-between expansions, which leaves plenty of room for new creative classes that are different imo. I have no doubt they would like to add in some fresh classes that haven’t been seen before.

2 Likes