Inventory management is not fun "gameplay? Discuss

I keep hearing stuff with often purists rejecting QoL improvement to inventory management-related change, like stackable gems, more stach space, more inventory space, charm inventory.

The main argument I hear it is its a gameplay feature, or decision making, or an integrated part of OG D2.

The main counterargument is that really simple, the QoL improvement > inventory management gameplay, & Many (include me) do not find inventory management fun or it’s some kind of grand in-depth decision making, I won’t even call it gameplay feature rather a necessity.

I am also not sold on the integrated part. LoD changes a lot of OG class Diablo gameplay, & most think for the better. People can also argue pixelation 800x600 is also integrated part of D2, or losing connection when someone phoned your granny.

But that’s my perspective. I am happy to entertain & discuss other viewpoints

By the way, the last epoch has charm (they call it talisman, but its the same) inventory & you can check it out for perspective. Personally, I think it works great.

17 Likes

I prefer the game’s inventory management remain the same, charm inventory is not really a QoL in my eyes, and I’d rather play D2:R with that original inventory management concept.

Maybe if charm inventory was something optional and locked in at character creation, then we both can get what we want and still enjoy the game without it impacting each other’s gameplay, that’s my 2 cents. :slight_smile:

Now I will say, I’m actually not against Charm Inventory/Charm Zone in mods, there is plenty of mods who increase inventory space and designate a Charm Zone for charms. I like the Charm Zone feature in the scope of modding and I think a lot of people could get creative with it, but still in my opinion it has to be optional.

1 Like

I agree with you OP. I’d love to see more QoL stuff regarding inventory management. I’m also looking forward to Last Epoch’s full release! I love the talisman system.

5 Likes

I think inventory management, optimization, algebra, programming, tech reports, diagrams, microprocessors, and developing the very platforms people use to express their freedom of speech is fun.

You think writing reviews, articles, and blog posts about how the world should revolve around you and what you think is fun or good or better in your limitless freedom of expression, is fun.

Since you don’t want what I want, and I don’t want what you want, it is only fair that my D2R is revoked in exchange for your freedom of speech.

think of it like this:

an infinite inventory means you can keep and categorize everything.

a limited inventory means you have to pick and choose what to keep, and toss the rest.

Limited is indeed the correct method of madness.

17 Likes

I share this sentiment for the inventory.

I do not for the stash.

1 Like

As far as stash size. people will just create more mules in the end. Like back in D2 OG days.

I think I had a few account of all mules.

The end the storage space available is same, just with the added chore of switching between mules.

3 Likes

D2:R have already a bigger stash size 10x10.
Original D2 have 8x6. Be happy!

A bigger inventory without a seperated charm inventory doesn’t work well.
Just imagine a bigger Inventory 10x10.

Bunch of Grand Charms and Small Charms is very overpowered.
20x Paladin Combat Grand Charms in your inventory.
This does not look good in my eyes.

6 Likes

Thats why we propose charm inventory, where charm only works in the charm inventory. Then increase of regular inventory will not affect power

4 Likes

i just like the inventory management, so you have to decide on the fly what you feel is more valuable to you , but eh… thats just me :thinking:

having like an equip slot for charms could work though, but again… having 3 different equip slots for charms are meh…

charm inventory, sorry but im against lol. its part of the inventory :wink:

2 Likes

I have no idea what you meant.

like… having charm equip slots on the character like neck, head, boots etc, but you would remake charms a lot, wouldnt work… still… i would like it xD

Charm inventory like people want, i still think this goes under “what do you think is more valuable to keep” you shouldnt be able to carry everything.

If you decide to make mules, thats just good for you :slight_smile:

Just say you want PD2 Inventory… Keep it simple

but you can already increase your regular inventory, its called removing charms.

2 Likes

Because of how D2 works, inventory is a big deal in this game. Inventory is a power in this game, as you store tons potions keeping you alive, and can store many items in it to keep you alive or to buff character with. Which is why inventory needs to stay same if changed will become a powercreep and make game more easy.
No one is forcing anyone to fill inventory up with charms, With charm inventory you would not need to find good items at all, as charms stats are very overpowered. Because this game is limited to only hell difficulty making game more easy is not a good thing.
If charm inventory were to ever be a thing, it should only be a 4x4 space no bigger then that.

5 Likes

About bigger inventory space and charm inventory.
Keep it to mods :wink:
That is why mods exist in this game, so you can do whatever you want with the game.
But I really hope not Vicarious Visions add a charm inventory or makes the inventory space bigger.

But I’m happy they increased the stash size 10x10. It doesn’t affect the game.

9 Likes

Well, the inventory mgmt. is a brilliant way that taught us how to make some hard decisions, I know it taught me that.
If you expand the inventory it’s doesn’t make it bad either, just make it only for set items or unique items.
For stacking, maybe only for stacks of 3 of the same type gem! No more! No charm dedicated slots!
But I am fine with keeping it the way it is too!

2 Likes

I think you should look at inventory management as a cost of maintenance. Space costs gold, and someone has to maintain your stuff (armor and weapon care). So you have a default space that is free, but more space is rentable. The more you take, the higher the rent. High level players can maintain this at an inconvenience. Low level players cannot afford it.

Now the obsessive collectors can work to keep their belongings, and the more frugal can make hard choices.

4 Likes

I’ve played those mods and the giant inventory is too much after a while imo.

2 Likes

The Devil wants sacrifices, not QoL!

The whole reason to not have a charms inventory is for inventory management. PvP and Solo games people are going to use full charms to get the most power(PvP), or mf/life/etc.(Solo). In a public party game where people are doing Baal runs, or any kind of runs then most people are not going to use charms because the party is going to kill the monsters fairly quick without the help of charms. There is really no need of a charms inventory based on the above info, and the way people play PvP, Solo, or public runs.

So, conclusion is:
Fully decked PvP = full charms because you aren’t going to pick up items(you’re dueling)!
Solo games = full charms(mainly mf/life/etc.) so you don’t have to worry about other people ninja looting, etc.! So, it’s ok to have full charms in Solo games! Also, if you’re really decked out you can go with no charms to pick up more items that you’re gonna keep, or sell at a Vendor for more gold!
Public games = no charms. Reason is because most of the time in a party you’re going to end up killing monsters/bosses without the help of charms. This way it will give you, and the other players more space to pick up items. But, if you want charms in your inventory during public runs then it’s up to the player.

As far as stackable gems I am against it as far as D2. Yes, I play and love D3, and it has stackable gems when you collect them. D3 is a totally different style game. It is fun, and fast paced. Stackable gems do not belong in D2, though, because of how D2 is made to have items fit the tetris of the inventory/stash. Each gem is 1 square. Each wand is 2 squares. Etc., etc., the list goes on. D2R is a remaster with minor QoL, updated graphics, updated UI, enhanced Bnet 2.0 security that doesn’t affect the core gameplay of D2 that is shared loot(FFA), inventory management, tetris of how items fit, keeping items to either use for other characters/trade, low drop rates, etc.! Again, the list goes on! D2 is made to be a hard, decision making game. It’s not meant to be so easy that the game gives you every thing at your feet. You have to put in the grind, and make decisions on how you play a character and the space you’re given! :slight_smile:

3 Likes