I was against Ploot. I changed my mind

I didn’t “attack” your for your opinion, i simply found your way to argue with this “all i hear is waaaahhh” not really helpfull.

Oh, I see. But you found the other guy’s “I’m leaving 'cause reasons, you guys are trolls” post helpful, did you?

Ploot isn’t a drop rate increase. A drop rate increase would be a different fight that we can all fight together when the day comes.

So? It’s the way it works in FFA. You can pick up loot of any kill regardless of party. There is no problem using that comparison baseline to allocate loot in ploot.
So what is your point?

I think you also need to do some work on the learning front:

Gallerani: […] From there we’ll see what the community wants. We don’t really make a boxed product anymore, where we give it to you and we’re done with it. It’s a live game, a live service. We’ll continue to have that relationship between us and the community as they start playing it.

GamesBeat: Is new content on the table, like an Act VI? Is that a possibility?

Gallerani: I will never deny it. It’s not on the table right now. But it’s not off the table either. Like I said, we’re focused on getting that authentic, nostalgic experience right. Even smaller things, like retuning how the blizzard works, or maybe making a build that’s not a Hammerdin, new runewords, new items, those are all really exciting things, but we want to make sure we stick the landing first. As long as the community says, “Yeah, you did good,” then we can have the next discussion.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/09/17/the-retrobeat-diablo-ii-resurrected-readies-for-launch-during-a-dark-time-at-blizzard/

They added it so that the player didnt have the feeling to be able to run away from everything.
It is explained here:

https://youtu.be/t5lWxo3rjvM?t=1500

Why? You can still play FFA mode. So you are saying you would change your entire approach to the game because of a system you are not even playing?
Seems kinda irrational.

So your “arguments” against ploot are:

• if something good drops, i have a fair chance to get it, as opposed to: everytime something drops, i have to frantically click to have a chance that if it is something good it will end up in my inventory. 2 points for effort. 0 points for logic
  • ploot would flood the economy… yeah, we never heard that one before… yawn

Yes. And i agree that it is not ideal. But you also have to agree that the exact same is also possible in FFA mode. With the slight difference that in FFA mode you can actually take away 8/8 of the loot from the party, while in ploot you can only take 1/8.

Is it ideal? No. Is it better? Yes, definitely.

No, that is not how it works.
Linking ploot to party-membership is open for griefing. People could just leave their party shortly before a boss kill and take the killing blow to receive all 8/8 of the loot.
That is why we decided to take the example of FFA loot to make the loot allocation not take party into account.
It is an edge case anyway and i’d rather fix the “player takes 8/8 of all the loot and then leaves the game” case than to fix the “some guy runs behind the party for the entire game without them not declaring hostility to them and is taking 1/8 of the loot” case.

No, we dont go back to this, because you already got your logical response.

And you underestimate that solo MF will still be the main way to get equipment.
Again: we are not asking for an efficient way to farm items. We are asking for an enjoyable and cooperative experience.

Nope, he didnt and we have told you several times already. So many times that Rob himself has made it clear that the discussion will be taken after the 23rd.

Stop spreading false information.

Access/Chance does not mean that they get it.
You are arguing as if all 8 players get that precious item. They are not. It takes them 8x more runs to get that item for every player in both cases. (or even more)
Your perception of the loots in FFA is misguided. Seeing != picking up.

It is. But you seem to struggle with it.

I think LightningYu mistook Orrions “crybaby”-post for an anti-ploot post.

1 Like

And your whole argument is “I am afraid that someone will take a good item under my nose while we both killed the same boss”. Are you that afraid of competition that you want the game to cater to you? Play alone or with friends, no one is forcing you to play with strangers. And yes there are two ways to implement this useless mechanic:

1. Dont change the drop rate
  2. Make every player get 100% personal drops from each monsters.

The second is going to remove trading aspect of the game as for balancing reasons the items will be bound on pick up while in the first you wouldnt even know that something you wanted dropped. Also something that you farmed for 2 months may drop in a game where you boosted someone and the secondary rng may give it to him/her without you even knowing and without them even doing anything. This will also remove any reasoning for high lvl players to be hired as mercenaries to help you with progress for the price of drops/runes.

Adding it as an option during hosting? Why dont you just stop farming with random people? My friends will always ask me if I want the “Occulus” for example and simply give it to me.

P.S. The game is too hard for you? You dont want any competition? Go play D3 or Grim Dawn.

I think you mistyped and meant to say “FFA”. The majority of the pro-FFA comments could be your reasons for that change of mind.

You would know however.

Huh. That would work just the same as before.

I think that what people just ultimately don’t realize is that Ploot is fine as long as they lower drop rates the more players you add to your party and then lower drop rates the less you have in your party. Nobody should be able to kill monsters for someone who is not in their party.

Sounds like you’re waiting for a new expansion to Diablo 3. This is Diablo 2, there isn’t personal loot here.

1 Like

If its Grim Dawn type of ploot = they will just show me a low rune and lie that nothing good dropped.
If its to be chosen before its hosted - people like me wont even want to use it as items I am farming for may drop to the other players and you wont even know it. This whole idea takes from the core gameplay of D2 that makes you feel like you all are in the same world by seeing the same items. If you play with friends = they will share it with you. If you play with strangers, well, its a competition to who gets it.
But, if you add ploot and play with strangers - the good item that dropped wont be even visible for you.

No, this is added in consideration in my initial comment. 100% of items split to 5 players and 1 good item will be visible to one lucky player. I wont trust RNG to give items to randoms, that most of the time do nothing while I aid them.

Ultimately this will split the playerbase and remove from the spirit of D2

No, you will see the item drop, and see them pick it up. Just like in FFA.

1 Like

Oh but I cannot pick them up because they will be player locked. Nice and the guy can just take it and leave.

Yes. Indeed.
Like they can do in FFA.

1 Like

Hahahah, there are rules to how that is done during merc work. They can only try tho.

That is one argument. Though i am not afraid of it. Just mildly annoyed after 20 years.
Other arguments (not complete list):

• more accessible game
  • more friendly to new comers
  • allows focus on gameplay
  • more fair distribution
  • prevents certain cheats such as pickit
  • more relaxing games
  • less hostile atmosphere inside the team
  • cooperation between players instead of competition
  • and many more

No, i am a very competitive person and played several actual e-sport titles with great success. D2 however is not a competitive game (apart from PvP). It is a PvE game with low difficulty. I dont need to play a click-spam game after every boss drop. It is simply not what i enjoy as a gameplay aspect.
I played tons of games that require more apm than you could imagine: shooters, rts, dota
Technique is not the problem. Competitiveness is not the problem.
The problem is that i dont play d2 to spam clicks on items. That is not enjoyable to me. So i am arguing for a mode that - among many other beneficial effects - also allows me to play without click spamming for items to receive my fair share of the loot.

And the game doesnt cater anything for me. The game just allows me to find 7 other people who have the exact same approach to the game and who are fine to waive their chance on 7/8 of the loot for receiving 1/8 of the loot.
No catering, no handout, no fear. Just 8 players mutually agreeing on something.

You are now forcing me to play alone or with friends (who might not be online, not in the same gamemode or lvl range or even game). That is not a solution. It is just a lazy “works for me”-reply.

We are not arguing for the second version (op originally did, but he removed that part of his suggestion).
But even if that was the case, it does not have to remove trading, because it does not have to make items Binding on Pickup.
Because for all we know, the economy might still be the very same even with increased loot drops (which i am not arguing for). Bots will be (hopefully) greatly reduced, resulting in less items being on the markets. And those who play ploot games might have been playing solo MF games before, so they would actually receive less items when switching to ploot games.
Nonetheless i am not arguing for increased loot rates, because i want ploot to be en-par with FFA loot, so that players can make a free decision between a FFA game and a Ploot game.
Solo games should always be the safest and most efficient way to get items.

So why would you boost that person in a ploot game then? Makes little sense unless you agree to that chance happening.
Last time i checked the booster decides how the boost is done and not the boosted person.
Also last time i checked you get payed in runes or quest items for a boost. Unless it is a friend, in which case you might want to focus on the friend-not-giving-you-item-you-need part of your scenario.

Unless you would do that in a FFA game. (btw even in a FFA game they can ninja-loot runes without you seeing it)

Why would I? I enjoy playing a multiplayer game in multiplayer.

Good for you. We do not need your friends free handouts though.

Nope. It is fairly easy.
You keep bringing up that argument to discredit the other side without knowing that you are playing one of the most casual games around.
Just because you have to switch from ice to fire on hell for ~10 monster types and from physical to magical or elemental does not make the game hard.

Not when it comes to itemdrops in a cooperative party.
It is not a competition though when in fact you are the one taking items from those who are lesser able than you to consistently pick up items.
Picking faster as melee than a ranged character is not competition. It is the exact opposite. Opportunism.

I played both. They are alright in their own ways.
I still prefer d2 for several reasons:

• itemization
  • character progression
  • multiplayer games
  • story
  • trading
  • build variations
  • playing with old friends
  • nostalgia

Ploot would allow me to enjoy all these aspects that you so carelessly skip over alot more.

Wrong. It is D2R and there will be personal loot.

https://twitter.com/RodFergusson/status/1438626511653937153?s=20

2 Likes

Personal loot with diminished drops the more players that are in the party is fine. how many times will you just be a leach getting cruise controlled through the game to that other someone out there who loves D2 more than you? There’s always that someone. You can’t just get a free ride with free drops.

Hyperinflate much? lol

1 Like

Everything I saw was ultimately for the removal of bots. Why are you assuming that cheats can be used in D2R? The second point will result in D3 all over again. Binding items and removing trading is the only thing that can fix up the useless market after it is implemented. If you enjoy trading, why did you just support the 2nd option?

The game is fun as it is, play with strangers at your own risk and have fun. Some will steal, others you will become friends with. The game does not have to cater to people with phobia for strangers.

P.S. This is a remaster of an old game, not a remake. Google the difference. D4 is on the horizon and it will have ploot, just play d2r as it is until then and it is going to be fine. And yes, the adrenaline rush when something good drops in a game full of strangers is what makes D2 amazing

1 Like