I dont want outdated mechanics!

They actually have this plan in motion already OP! your wishes are answered!

It’s called D4.

And I’m not being derogatory or sarcastic here either. Seriously, the evolution of a game series happens in installments of a later game. Borderlands becomes borderlands 2, then 3, etc. That’s how gaming development goes.

Companies do not go back 20 years in time and start the evolution process again no matter how much a playerbase would want that. The only reason that reskins of older games are popular at this point is because current developing companies seem to lack the vision and capability to produce the kind of games that players loved in the early generations, and want to play now.

Taking that into account, what’s the guarantee that their “re-evolution” of D2 would go in the direction that we D2 lovers want? Just like how D3 happened. And on top of that, it would be competing with D4. which is the evolution of D3, which is the evolution of D2. Don’t like it? well, that’s what we would get if we had this same team Re-imagine D2 instead of just reskinning it.

9 Likes

Well sure, when I say “we” I can´t speak for everybody. But we both know there is a relevant part of the community who thinks the same way as me - so “we” is that crowd :wink:

The thing is - we don´t care about what´s gold standard nowadays or what is considered “good” with todays standards. Most likely we consider exactly this stuff NOT good - thats why we still play D2 and are emotional about keeping the remaster pristine.

Since we already have 1000s of games we modern, gold standard stuff. And we don´t love the game despite not having them - we love it BECAUSE its not like these 1000s other games.

But yeah - I always said - if Blizzard is gonna offer us a forever 1.14 LoD version besides a forever Classic version in D2R - you can get flying mounts and whatever in a third “modernized” version and I won´t lose a single word about it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah this is exactly it. If Blizzard wants to make a separate realm with tons of changes, leaving 1.14 intact, great.

If they are dead set against two realms and splitting the player base, it makes zero sense to ruin 1.14 by making irreparable changes. It doesn’t make sense at all.

2 extra realms? do whatever you want, hold a raffle, base changes on surveys, idc. But don’t wreck the nostalgia of items, skills, etc. Just because some players might get bored of D2. it’s a remastered game, you know what you’re getting for the most part.

5 Likes

D2 was never dead, it was very much alive. And with better graphics, more fps and little to no bots, the game will thrive again, mabye like never before.

3 Likes

There Is End game such as farming items for reset tokens, and Uber Tristam quest and Unique Diablo that is fun to farm grind.
This game end game was just about always PVP

You would need to go off of the bnet numbers (which is definitely not the total number of people playing because single player) You would also then have to compare it to the total number of people who had machines capable of even playing the game at that time. If you did that D2 would likely win since the highest number of players across (I believe US) bnet servers that I had seen was 5.7 million. Remember this is active players and not including single players. This was around patch 1.07-1.09. That would put it some time around 2001. Where a large amount of the population still didn’t have a computer and a huge majority that did have one did not have internet good enough for Diablo II. According to the US Census - Presence of a Computer and the Internet for Households, by State: September 2001 Total was 109,106,000. So you are talking 5% of the population at it’s peak.

At launch 6.3 million copies of D3 were sold worldwide at launch. At that time according to the census bureau there was 122,048,000 for the US. So um let’s not and say we didn’t because next you will want to go to total copies sold which D2 will win again. Remember this does not include single player for D2 and the total number was “Active online in bnet servers”. Yet the game is so very old and modern gaming is so very inclusive now. In 2001 video games were still being unbelievably vilified.

If you are wondering why the number is so low in 2012 it is the Internet Access. There are sections of this country that still do not have access to high speed internet even now.

2 Likes

The thing is, only a few Fanboys don’t want changes. Look at Reddit or other forums. Most players want changes :wink:

1 Like

but those are a choice aren’t they. Which us what makes d2 so much fun. D3 & PoE for example force you to rift/map and that’s it. Build your character to one-shot whole screens and off you go.
D2, I’ll build multiple characters to efficiently clear different areas because it’s rare that 1 can do all (except my skellymancer but he’s slower).

2 Likes

they added content in 2009/2010, so whats the problem? you still play with those.

Don’t get me wrong i’m all for changes…under the right circumstances though

Like after a couple regular ladder seasons.
And only if the majority of the community passes a vote for it.

Don’t see any of it happening to be honest.

Some of you have some incredible willpower and investment into this game to keep posting about the same things everyday… I’m not sure if I should applaud you guys or shake my head.

I wonder how long people will be recycling the same topics too. Probably for quite some time as more people pre-order the game and are able to post here.

I know Blizzard listens to their customers. I played WoW for well over a decade and saw player pushed changes time after time, but I actually don’t think they are paying too much attention to these forums in D2R case, which is a 180 from what I originally believed.

I think they know exactly what they are releasing… a remake, as planned. There’s probably a small handful of things (one or two) that can change, and they are probably gathering that information from that poll, not so much these forums. There’s not nearly enough different people posting here to really get much attention, imo.

Also, you guys haven’t proven anything is “outdated” yet. Still waiting for that one!

1 Like

Anyone seen that video of the kid wanting to eat cocoa against his mothers will because he knows it’s in chocolate but thinks he knows better ?

That’s what people who suggest changes are like.

YES the mechanics are outdated its part of the game that I wish to play, if I wanted to play a game with flashy up to date mechanics I would go elsewhere to play them (And I do) so I suggest you do the same wink wink.

1 Like

I think it makes more sense to go off total sales.

I do not know if these numbers are completely accurate but I distinctly recall that Blizzard stated that D3/D3:Ros had collectively sold 30 millions copies in August 2015. For D3, these are old numbers from2015 and consequently, would miss all ninentdo switch sales, since it was released on that platform in 2018.

Best selling Blizzard games | Video Game Sales Wiki | Fandom

Best selling Blizzard games and franchises

Sales data from List of best-selling video games (Wikipedia)

1. Overwatch (50 million*) [1]
  2. Diablo III (30 million)[2]
  • Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (3 million)
  1. Diablo II (4 million)
  • Diablo II: Lord of Destruction expansion pack (1 million)
  1. World of Warcraft (12 million subscribers peak) [3]
  2. StarCraft (11 million)[4]
  3. Starcraft II (6 million)[5]
  • Heart of the Swarm (1.1 million)[6]
  • Legacy of the Void (1 million) [7]
  1. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (3 million) [8]
  • Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne [expansion pack] (3 million)[9]
  1. Diablo (2.5 million)
  2. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (2 million)[10]

Conclusion: These numbers are rather different than yours and each is supported by a references. However, we do know even in the case of D3, the numbers are outdated. Also, the numbers for D2 are likely off. Ultimately, my question was not about total sales but player retention.

Also, it is not about win/lose. Both D2 and D3 are popular/remain popular and were highly selling. I would say that D1 and D2 on release was far more of a success in critics eyes, but that was due n part to how novel they were at the time.

If you come up with SALE FIGURES you can leave this discussion completely.
Of course CASUAL games like Diablo 3 sell better than games like D2 because you don’t have to do much for casual games.
You can farm mindlessly without thinking about it.
They are made for the broad, stupid, lazy masses who quickly loosen up a few bills. (the same goes for Immortal).
And that’s exactly what I don’t want in Diablo 2.
But it seems that everything is done so that the great new players don’t have to use their brains to achieve anything.
I just hope that Blizzard because of D2 Resurrected is not also still greedy and just keep focusing on Diablo Immortal and Diablo 4… :frowning:

1 Like

???

I provided a link to sales figures that have references to the source of those sales figures, typically Blizzard themselves. The problem is some of the numbers are clearly outdated.

then I must have misunderstood something. Sorry please :-/

My point was: If Blizzard changes D2 Resurrected by orienting it to the current playstyle of the players and to the sales of casual games. Then we old D2 players already have no chance that it will be like back then.
They will also make a seasonal cash cow after release with permanent changes and all sorts of nonsense so that the masses are kept in line.

I support keeping an authentic version and in parallel a modern version with changes in D2R. Philosophically, if there is only the authentic version at launch and then they introduced a second version later, that would be ok.

I am against having only an authentic version at launch that then gets changed due to player feedback. I am pretty sure with the influx of new players and many old players remembering why they stopped playing D2, that there will be request for reasonable changes.

As someone else previously stated - those are choices. Not end-game. Everything you can farm in Diablo 2 can be found in multitudes of different areas within the game that aren’t in the Throne of Destruction or Uber Trist, etc.

End-game by definition in today’s standards is content that’s at the very end of the initial playthrough and offers rewards that you cannot obtain anywhere else.

As for PVP… Well, arguable. You’re not going to use every single type of item you find to PVP. Most are better suited for PVE content. But yes, you can view PVP as end-game but it has little sway over a good portion of people’s interest to play Diablo 2 because it was so janky. Entertaining but janky none the less.

I actual think D2R has a lot more end game content compared to D3 for an example.

Level grind to 99 (not endless paragon)
Holy grail - find all elite unique/set items
PVP
Uber/DC
Trading

There is just so much to do.

2 Likes

Ok, let see.

These both are just time sinks.

You can do that in D3 too. Morevoer, there are a multitude of achievements that you can earn in D3 for killing special/unique monsters, killing bosses with special requirements, etc…

True. D2 wins here as D3 PvP (brawling) is suboptimal.

D3 has ubers (albeit different). There is no equivalent to dclone.

True. Some though prefer SSF/no trading for a harder challenge.

So what does D3 have that D2 doesn’t. Greater rifts where in general you can not outgear the content to have a true challenge.

I am not saying that D2 is better or worse than D3. Both have endgame, just different. I would not say that one has alot more end game than the other.

2 Likes