I dont want outdated mechanics!

Whole hell difficulty is endgame content.

2 Likes

D2 did have an endgame.

You did Baal runs until 99.

And then you farm items in one of the few appropriate places to farm items, typically exclusively as a sorceress or maybe a paladin. Eventually youā€™d be fully geared up and the only endgame left was to start a new character and gear them up.

The fact this wasnā€™t especially well thought out or captivating for most people is why Diablo 2 lost its players over time, and has since been a wasteland of bots and third party sites where you can buy your items instead of grinding for them.

PvP was also kind of endgame I guess.

2 Likes

I think the original intent of D2 was not neccessarily an end game, but finding better rare loot, and the anticipation that every time you played the game, regardless of class, the loot and build potential was never the same. LoD started to erode into that with more uniques that could be BiS, then eventually 1.10 threw out the whole ā€œnew game and build experienceā€ with more uniques and runewords that overshadowed most rares and added ladder refreshes to combat duped economy.

Where is this mindset coming from? Lets not fool ourselves, most of us are coming back for the nostalgia but after a few months if nothing is added, the game will be dead and forgotten like old D2 left only with the few hopelessly addicted that still play it to this day.

For this game to have any chance to thrive it needs new content added and modern QoL stuff and if you donā€™t like the new stuff you can always go back to old D2.

2 Likes

You kidding right? D2 was dead and forgotten since like 2005.

2 Likes

The only way for this very shallow argument to have any small validity would be if the ā€œold D2ā€ was given the graphics and network updates of D2R. The whole excitement is over new graphics + network, how simple a conceptā€¦

I have often wondered, why Blizzard did not offer a $20 DLC to D2/D2:Lod owners that if/since you already had the game, it would transition to modern battlenet with only a graphics update. The strict-ish status quo people would get they want.

Then they could have a separate D2R for the modern crowd.

3 Likes

I think thatā€™d be nice as long as the original D2R was given significant anticheater support!

Iā€™m not even sure D2R itself is getting anticheat support.

D3 and WoW are still plagued by bots and cheaters, donā€™t see why this game would be any different.

3 Likes

It will have anti-cheat support. However, I would not expect it to be a significant departure from D3 and WoW in terms of how frequently they do ban waves for botters. Also, I fear that D2R pickit users or loot filter users will be treated like maphack in D3, and be largely ignored.

3 Likes

Finding new loot is endgame though.

All MMORPGs can be defined as having ā€œgetting the best gear possibleā€ be the endgame. Whether thatā€™s done through raids, crafting, dungeons, PvP or other activities, itā€™s still the endgame.

D2ā€™s endgame was a grindfest for loot, but once you had your loot, you had nothing to do anymore except PvP.

While I donā€™t really like the way D3 handles rifts/greater rifts, I will at least say that they had the right idea by creating an endlessly incrementing way to test your power. If nothing else, it means that D3ā€™s endgame is technically never done, you can always push one rift level higher with luck and better play.

Not saying D2R needs to use rifts, but having some kind of endgame activity to actually get to use all that gear you grinded for would be neat. Doesnā€™t even have to reward you with loot, just be there for people to compete.

This is a case of ā€œIā€™ll believe it when I see itā€. A lot of people seem to think they can just ā€œfix the cheater problemā€ like thereā€™s been a magical, secret solution ignored until today, but all of Blizzardā€™s other games have taught us thatā€™s not possible.

Even Overwatch, an actual e-sport with money on the line, frequent updates and support, still has a striking amount of cheaters in it.

Uber Tristram sort of serves that purpose. Iā€™d imagine if they do add more stuff, itā€™d be something like that event.

It does but itā€™s also a one-and-done thing.

You beat it. Thatā€™s it.

The idea behind the rifts is, alright, you beat level 7. Now you can try level 8.

Randomly generated maps and monsters also ensure itā€™s never the same, so you have to be on your toes (to a small degree anyway).

Iā€™m against rifts being in D2R as a way to get loot, but itā€™d be nice just as a way to compete with other peopleā€™s performance and builds.

1 Like

Correct.

Initially, D3 had free trade that led to RMT and lots of cheating & account hacking & item seller spamming. Even after the removal of the auction, cheating still occurs in D3 which has instanced lot and very little trading.

D2 and D2R has/will have free trade which means there will be financial incentive to cheat/RMT in violation of the ToS/EULA.

1 Like

I mean, sure letā€™s just say that the game is dead because it doesnā€™t have the original playerbase it had back in its prime. Thatā€™s totally legit and fair, right? The many thousands of people that still play clearly do not count and that means the game is dead.

2 Likes

my man, its not a remake. its just putting some spit shine on the game. if we change full mechanics and such, then the game wont be the same. sorry.

5 Likes

I would be curious to know how player retention was for D2 in 2009 versus D3 currently. I am not sure that this would be comparable due to difference in how competitive the video game market and more broadly the entertainment is now versus a little more than a decade ago.

Yes - an ingame clock. And thats about it.

There are plenty games out there with new, fresh, modern, 2021 mechanics and gameplay.

We EXPLICITLY DONĀ“T want new, fresh, modern 2021 mechanics - thats why we play D2 in the first place.

8 Likes

So the ā€œWeā€ n your quote here is you and others. Most of the so-called modern mechanics that some want are not even modern. These changes have become the gold standard in aRPG video games for a decade and are well-tested.

My ā€œweā€ is others and I. We want more optional changes that keep an authentic experience or your ā€œweā€ while my ā€œweā€ had an improved/modern experience.

Win for your ā€œweā€ and win for my ā€œweā€.

1 Like