I cant believe how many of you are asking for changes

This game is a masterpiece.

stop asking for the game to have so many changes.

it has the potential to ruin it and delay it. Go beg for diablo 4 to be the game you want it to be.

there’s a few QOL changes that don’t have any impact but a lot of things people are asking for fundamentally changes the game.

I want to play diablo 2 again, i dont want to play the zoomer QQ version of what they think diablo 2 should be.

124 Likes

We already have a completely clean, virgin, flawless game without the disgusting 60 fps and 4k resolutions, and if it’s so perfect why not stay playing it? And to give heretics the opportunity to get the best experience from this game.

26 Likes

The game is but as some mods have shown there is room for improvement that still stay true to what D2 is and enhance the game some.

I agree with the default assumption being “stay true” but there are some things that I know I feel are obvious to do and don’t betray the nostalgia or core of the game itself.

27 Likes

I’m a Gen X, guess that makes me a xoomer. D2 is a good game but it is not a perfect one. Especially by todays standards. People who play ARPGs that have released the last few years expect things like hotbar for quick casting of skills. They expect less inventory Tetris.

Heck look at Titan Quest. It came out 6years after D2 and the changes to the UI was phenomenal. Potions stack, augments stacked, and it had less inventory Tetris. And they have still been updating to this day. I remember when you had to click a skill in it and than manually target than click the hotbar key again to fire the skill off. They changed the a couple of years back with the last expansion. They even made it optional if you wanted to revert it to the original system.

I see no reason not to add modern conveniences too an old game. Just make it opt in.

Your going to have a lot of new players playing D2 when this comes out. We old timers have held up this game as being one of the best ARPGs out there, but new players are going to look at some of this and not like the older systems because they are out dated. Give them the option to play a more modern version of D2.

22 Likes

I just think that I will always have D2 as it currently is whenever I need it. I would not mind a lot of changes that would make this game more appealing to modern gamers. Most changes I support would not change the gameplay much, but make it much easier for most players to play.

If the game gets new players, we have a better chance at longer term support and maybe getting character balance again. If they screw up the game, I can always go back to vanilla.

8 Likes

I can.

To start, they said they’re not straying far from 1.14d for launch because it would be too many variables at once, so there’s no risk of delay. People returning for a fix of nostalgia will get that chance.

The people throwing out seemingly wild and crazy ideas are those who’ve continued to actively play the game all these years. Popular mods have converged on a number of QOL improvements, so naturally people want to see more of those things in the core game. Some ideas are more radical than others, so it’s not like they’re all going to make it in. But it’s not surprising to see them brought up, and one or two carefully selected and implemented (like they’ve done so far) could go a long way. But again, that’s all post-launch, and we have no idea what that’s going to look like.

3 Likes

I dont understand why theese people who want all theese changes and clearly want to play something different than D2, cant play with mods? there will be plenty for D2R too, you can have anything you want.

Devs have already stated D2 will stay true to its core, i just hope they will stand behind this, maybe in time there might be some slight changes based on feedback, but i dont see D2 ever having charm inventory, and crapton of droprates or end “maps” or stackable stuff or whatever, thats just not D2, it doesnt matter what year its is, D2 was and is masterpiece for a reason, people dont seem to get this.

8 Likes

I don’t understand people asking for personal loot and all those requests.

This is D2, if you don’t like it well then go play mods and leave us alone .

Shared stash is pushing it as well as gold auto pickup.
I really hope that’s the last of it. I never thought they’d do that.
Muling our stuff is how its been done for 20 years , Why change it?

8 Likes

Because it isn’t that efficient and doesn’t add anything.

“Why do mice need more than 2 buttons!”
“Curved screens are not needed, I’ve been on a CRT forever!”

Stuff that doesn’t change the core of the game and provides QoL updates should be embraced. It isn’t like anyone; honestly, was excited to have to swap gear from character to mule. You did it because you had to in order to store stuff but it wasn’t thrilling, exciting, or fun it was just a chore similar to checking the vendor for wands early in the game as a Necro… part of a routine but nothing that you anxiously looked forward to.

15 Likes

+1

20 characters required

2 Likes

Thumbs up this game is a masterpeice No change !

6 Likes

Some changes make sense, some – don’t.
Talk specifics.

True, but still far from perfect.

3 Likes

Diablo 3 has proven the necessity of gatekeeping. D3 beggars are actually trying to kill diablo 2 decades in a row.

10 Likes

I completely understand the concern when the changes become too game changing, but I think a lot of change people are leaning more towards simple QoL. A lot of the changes asked for are already implemented and tested through thousands of players in modded communities.

Things that do not really effect the game balance in any way:
Gem/Rune Stacking
Larger Stash
Loot Filter and Updating item text to show [Eth] [Socket#] plus extra colors.

Things that I understand people are hesitant on:
Extra inventory Space (Not able to use for charms)
-This doesn’t really buff the character because you have the same amount of charm slots, but you get a little inventory space to pick up gear without running to town constantly.

Things I agree should not be added:
Corrupting items (Popular in mods but I dislike it)
Maps/Rifts (Though I wouldn’t mind if they added some D2 style endgame stuff)

I also would like people to recognize that Balance changes and new changes in general happened constantly to D2, and is not really a new concept. 1.09 to 1.14 is an extremely different game. There was a time when Fire Wall was deadly, and every Sorc had Thunder Storm and just wanted to walk up to you and kill you almost instantly.

6 Likes

I think your response is a bit more well written then a lot of what I have seen in the forums so far and seems to actually acknowledge the multiple perspectives.

I get a lot of the true QOL stuff like stackables/arrows/loot filter

I don’t think I get a charm stash or things beyond that for the release given its desired intention. I understand bringing these changes on if desired after the game launches, but I do think launch should stick pretty closely to the original D2. The ability to play without these add ons should always be an option on whatever path they choose forward.

The game is far from a masterpiece. That is why people are asking for changes to make the game better.

If you don’t like it, I mean you still have LoD Classic

5 Likes

And you still have diablo 3, which cost D2 players a true sequel to the only game worth a damn in the franchise to this day. You people already spent years crying about how you didn’t want diablo 2 anymore and now you are trying to kill it again

9 Likes

Some people can’t seem to get it through their heads that this is a REMASTER, not a remake. The devs have already said that they are going to stay faithful to the game as it is now and that’s a very smart move on their part. This should be the game that most of us know and love with updated graphics, not some hybrid combination of D2 and D3 features. Stackable potions and runes, personal loot drops, dedicated charm inventory, none of this stuff is D2. It’s just not, so stop asking for it. If you’re someone who uses mods then wait for them to come out for this after it releases and continue using them, no one is stopping you.

6 Likes

The issue with D3 isn’t personal loot. The problems of D3 are the lack of builds, specializations, permanence, power creep nonsense, full reliance on set pieces, story and a few others. Most of the changes I see are not going to turn D2R into D3. The sky isn’t falling.

6 Likes

There shouldn’t be game mechanic changes, period. Again, remaster, not remake. Shared stash is just replacing muling which was always just a workaround anyways. Auto-gold pickup is mainly for the benefit of those playing with controllers since they are adding support for that for console play.

2 Likes