I am retiring from Diablo

Hello everybody,

I don’t know if this is the right time to announce this, though if not now, I don’t know when the right time would be.

I am going to be retiring from Diablo sometime in the not-too-distant future.

What that means is that I’ll be signing off from the D3 forums and the game itself, and I’m not planning on getting involved in any way with D4. Unlike Free, who has been semi-retired for a while now but still puts in an appearance here not infrequently, I will be going full cold-turkey. Once I’m gone, I’m gone. I’ve never been very good at doing anything halfway.

I do want to make sure that everybody knows: this isn’t because anything is wrong. My health, both mental and physical, is good- i’m not dying or something like that. And, it’s not because I don’t enjoy this game anymore, because I certainly do. In fact, that may be part of the issue- I’ve always been very resistant to getting bored, so anything that I have ever enjoyed, I can pretty much keep on doing, forever.

But, I don’t think I ought to keep on playing Diablo, forever. I’ve given a significant amount of my time to this game, both to playing it and to doing related stuff, like helping people on the forum, or putting together Barb Buff Proposal with Free or State of Set with DMKT. I could go on giving my time indefinitely, and never get tired of it, but there are other hobbies I’d like to get back to that have slowly been buried by “D3 time”. So I think it’s time for me to say a fond farewell, and then depart.

This won’t happen right away. I don’t have a definite date set yet, but I will let everybody know when I do. It will probably be sometime in the Spring.

Before I leave, I’ll be wiki-fying all my guides and a few other important threads (like the list of Additive and Multiplicative buffs for Barbs), in case somebody else wants to keep them updated. I don’t really expect that to happen, and it’s fine if it doesn’t- that’s a large responsibility to put on somebody else (and probably pointless- does anybody read my guides anymore, anyway!?) But if somebody wants to do it, it’ll be doable.

In the time that remains, give some thought to whether you have any burning questions that you need me to answer, or if there are any other resources that you’d like for me to try to generate.

Rage

40 Likes

That is awesome you will be doing that. I know it is a lot of work to keep them up, and I am bad at keeping up my singular one! (Transmogs/wings/pets).

I wish you well when you do switch hobbies, and keep in mind, you can always still play a bit, even if you bow out of the time consuming parts like making guides and helping others.

11 Likes

Thanks, MC!

Like I said, though: I am really bad at doing things halfway. I might intend to just “play a bit”, but would surely end up back in the thick of it.

2 Likes

You will be missed but it’s understandable and wish you the best. =)

1 Like

Many thanks for all your detailed and always kind answers to my questions - you’ll be missed indeed! All the best in your other hobbies!

1 Like

Thanks, Rage. For everything.

Here’s wishing you the best on your path back to your hobbies.  

And, you know, if you do get some spare time, you can always stop by here just to say “hi”. (Although, by that time, many of us may be over on the D4 Forums.   )

Ciao.  

1 Like

OK.

Bye.

Retire is not the right word, but whatever.

Well it’s prolly too soon to use the gem… Rage Quit
Teehee

5 Likes

Go well. The community will be much the poorer for your absence. But your place in the pantheon along with Free, Nubtro et al is assured.

3 Likes

Farewell from the forums, friend. I’m still proud of the work we did for the community–the most successful community project ever, as far as I’m concerned, and a blast to produce. And hey, we weren’t even streamers!

Diablo 4 looks absolutely lackluster and Acti-Blizz is a garbage heap of a corporation full of excellent, talented designers. All that is to say I’m with you in moving on from Blizzard products for good. Ah well. Greener pastures await. I’m just glad you and I were able to set the tone for so long.

One thing you might consider doing is writing one more guide: Rage’s Guide to Diablo Math. Spell out your formulas and equations and the tools you use to run the numbers. Would probably be a massive help to anyone who continues to play the game and tinker with builds.

I’ll stay in touch via email and you do the same. And brother, watch out for snakes!

10 Likes

Hopefully your new hobby isn’t day drinking :wink:

1 Like

Post of the day!

Always sad to see one of the old guard depart. Good luck with your future endeavours!

2 Likes

Oh no, our dear math barb will be leaving us… too soon! I definitely understand when you say other hobbies, tasks take a back seat to D3 especially when you’re in the mindset of setting a new personal best.

For that same reason, I’ve taken a break from the game as well. Not sure when I’ll be back, but it’s been great conversing with you on the forums dear Rage!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your time and effort and answering my dumb questions :slight_smile: Enjoy your RL !

1 Like

Sad to see you go because you’ll be missed.
Happy to see you go because you’ll be doing stuff you enjoy.

Always remember, when people as what the best class in D3 is, Maths Barb™ is the answer.

3 Likes

See you in s28 and D4 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your service Rage, you’re one hell of a player and even more impressive of a poster. I understand why you post this in Barb forum, this is your home but honestly you’ve helped the entire community, I specifically remember your wizard posts. Whenever any post tended to lose track your posts were always that level headed, bring the room back in, serious tone to calm things back down (especially those Lamentation nerf threads!) . You’re a presence sir and you’ll be dearly missed.

I won’t say sorry to hear you go, rather glad you’re doing what you feel is best for you, can’t ever be sorry for that! Good luck and have fun in your future entertainment endeavours and if you’re lurking in the future it would never hurt to say hi just to see how things are going!

2 Likes

Thanks for all guides and info you provided to the community, Rage. Good luck on your future adventures.

1 Like

Thanks for all your effort Rage.
Your works have always helped me in thinking and playing barb builds.
Wish you luck on your new way and hope to see you again in D4 Barb community :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never heard of rage so I can’t really say anything about how good someone is with guides and stuff. Why advertise your leaving just leave and don’t say a word about it. Diablo 3 won’t be missed when it gets shut down it was a long time coming. The End gotta love it.