I am retiring from Diablo

Rage, it has been a pleasure collaborating on the State of Set Power sheets – it was awesome to process S26 and watch the top players unfold it all week-by-week.

A Bittersweet farewell, but completely understandable with the halfway stuff. Wherever you go, whatever you do – I hope it’s even more fulfilling. Best of luck to you when that day comes.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your contribution to the Diablo community. I feel pretty lucky to meet you in this forum. :slight_smile: I am also semi-retired. When D4 is online, I won’t put much time on it (too busy…)… I think most of people can hardly tolerate a game, without new content, mechanism, revolutionary change.

2 Likes

You weren’t raised right.

Rage, thank you for share your future departure from the forums and the game (there are only a few things worse than being that wondering). It’s a bit of a punch in gut to say the least. Thanks for all you’ve done. And yes, there’s much more to life than D3. I truly mean this: The Lord’s blessing be upon you and all your loved one. Here’s to hoping you pop in every now and then.

3 Likes

Rage,

My initial reaction upon reading your message was feelings of loss, and that should tell you all you need to know about your contributions.

I cannot thank you enough for the selfless time that you have given. Just this last month your help was instrumental in my ability to understand and push in GRs. I am a better player for having been able to learn from you. Thank you.

Halfway is hard, I struggle with this too, but I wish you the best and should you decide to return :crossed_fingers: I personally would be thrilled.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Most “I’m quitting” threads are from people that we’ve either never heard of or people that won’t be missed. Rage fits into neither of those categories and would, quite rightly, have been referred to as a pillar of the community on the forums. As such, people are taking to opportunity to wish him well with whatever he ends up doing next that makes him happy and thanking him for his time and effort over the many years he’s been providing feedback and help to anyone that asked for it.

5 Likes

Thank you for everything Rage. I enjoyed reading your posts and guides on this forum. I wish you all the best for the future

1 Like

This, I dont post much, but @Rage , Free, Chris and many others made me a much better barb than I ever could have hoped to be, and an inspiration to help others when ever I can in game.

Best wishes to you in the future, and should you decide to Rage flip back in… we whirl be here to shout and kick to welcome your inspiring presence.

3 Likes

Thank you very much to everybody for all the kind words and well-wishes, it means a lot to me.

But, I’m not gone yet! I’ll be around until at least early April, and more likely a bit later on in that month.

The same to you, good sir!

Lol, SE, I was originally thinking of titling this thread “Rage Quit”!

But, I decided that didn’t really strike the tone I was going for… I’m glad somebody else discovered that gem and made use of it though!

Me too, brother.

That’s a good idea- I’ll try hard to get that done. I need to do some thinking about the best way to lay that all out in the clearest way possible.

LoL, yeah, no kidding! My “never get bored of something” trait could get me in some real trouble there.

Thank you, Seras. I’ve always been proud of you for being one of the people who seemed to internalize the stuff I taught you the most- you always put my “lessons” to good use, and that was always really nice for me to see.

Pshh, none of that. Your questions aren’t dumb at all. Answering some of your queries about Guardian’s set then became part of my Season 27 notes for Barbs, and I imagine some part of my answer to your question about power gain from the season 28 Altar powers will be of use in a similar thread for Season 28. People asking me questions has always been a big part of my process, because it makes me think about stuff I might not have considered before.

Haha, thanks MB! Was it you or Chris that came up with that nickname?

Thank you MJ, I just wish I could have done a bit better on that front. A lot of the stuff I fought against, like GoD getting nerfed into the ground, Inna nerfed into the ground, and Witch Doctor never leaving the ground, just didn’t work out as I would’ve hoped.

I’ve always been impressed with some stuff from the classic games team- like the way they pieced together a bunch of different people’s suggestions to form the new Raekor set, and how the last few seasons have had great themes and overall positive changes to the game. But when it comes to balancing the sets, they just don’t seem to get it. It’s like: “If you’ve got a hammer, why use any other tool? And while we’re at it, if we’re going to be using a hammer anyway, why not use a sledgehammer?”

Thank you man, you and your gameplay have always been an inspiration. Whenever I’m trying to think about how powerful some build is, I first think about how a good player would play it. And then I think about how Enryu would play it.

The pleasure is all mine, sir.

I feel the same way, JF. I’m always happy when PTR time rolls around because it means we get to have a chat!

Yeah, I know, I’ve always worried about the folks who just disappear. Thanks for your kind words, DH.

You’re very welcome. And I hope you keep on playing and learning, even after I depart.

Thanks for sticking up for me fellas… but, probably best to just ignore the trolls. After all, this is THE INTERNET, so you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be at least a few turds floating in every punchbowl.

That’s really good to hear… keep paying it forward!

:heart:

10 Likes

https://dskbmzw3v9vmq.cloudfront.net/optimized/3X/1/d/1dbc12f41ea990aadd93b41d624017fa6a8b4fae_2_616x500.jpeg

1 Like

All I can say is dipping at the tail end of D3 in high style is about as best as it gets. Drift off into the sunset, lonesome barb, and don’t look back. Best of luck in whatever you do and thanks for all the fish!

1 Like

The forums, D3, the community grows emptier. Farewell.

1 Like

No idea who started that one.

I live in Russia and I don’t know English well and I write this message through a translator, but when I occasionally read this forum and see your messages, I know that they are written by someone who knows what he is writing, because he has figured out everything and wants to share his knowledge with others. Thank you for your work and good luck.

2 Likes

I haven’t played for a long time, but I did quite intensely back in the day. Been keeping my eye on the barb forum from time to time for years though. Fun reading. Your presence will be missed, may the force be with you!

1 Like

Resurfacing into the forums after a stint with some IRL projects led me stumbling here. Rage, our interaction was shorter but no less impactful. The footprints you and the wonderful people left in the snow creating guides and sharing knowledge, math, and your time are monumental. I truly wish you and the others well in your future endeavors as I’m sure whatever project you find yourself working on will benefit greatly from your mind(s).

From one Barbarian to another my friend,

Keep Calm and “Rage” on.

1 Like

Thank you, Cass. It’s always nice to have you around. You coming back for Season 28? Looks like it might be CRAZY!

2 Likes

I put a lot thought into this, how’bout joining the D3 reserves, you and me, weekend warriors, whata ya say?

Oh heck yeah! S28 has felt fun on the PTR, the potions literally caused me to laugh so hard. so many ups and downs given the nature of the RNG, but when it cascades it cascades! Shaping up to be my longest season yet! We’ll see <3

1 Like

You’re contributions were invaluable and boosted the barb forum to the toppest tier of forums for this game. It was great getting to know you and the free advice you gave me upon request when I came back to the game after a 4 year hiatus.
Balance in life is key. If I could give one piece of unsolicited advice for gamers like us it’s to have a good mix of gaming and real life/outdoor activities in your life.
Take care.

2 Likes

That’s sound advice. This game, though, has an odd effect on me. I think I would find it pretty tough to play this game, and stay away from the forum, or to be on the forum, and not be super involved.

I never intended to become what I guess I ended up being - an authority on all things Barb. I just showed up one day in the old forum to ask a question about Leapquake, but pretty quickly realized I knew about as much regarding that build as anybody else. And things kind of just snowballed from there.

I’ve kind of always thought of myself as having a love/hate relationship with this game. But the real truth is: there’s no doubt that this is my favorite game ever, and it has a strange hold on me. I’ve really never had difficulty letting go of any other game, perhaps because I’ve really never gotten involved in the community for any other game the way I have here.

So: hopefully, any sense of “imbalance” in my life will leave me along with my attachment to this particular game, and this forum. I guess I will find out!

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, and if you want to talk a bit more D3 in the time that remains to me, feel free to reach out!

2 Likes