How to confuse annoying purists against any change

If D2R is to be the remaster of the original

What is that original?

1.01,1.02,1.03,1.04,1.05,1.06,1.07,1.08,1.09,1.10,1.11,1.12,1.13,1.14?

What’s the true Diablo by their standard? If it’s not 1.01 then they must be pro changes, everything beyond 1.01 is invalid for the remaster

10 Likes

we also dont like some of the changes made in patches as it catered to weak minded, weak willed instant gratification seeking players who think only in the present and dont like something that gives option with consequences

4 Likes

If I put my tin foil hat on here for a second. The last major patch with balance changes was 1.13 in 2010. The last major patch before that was 5 years prior in 2005. Blizzard North shut down in 2005.

David Brevik and crew started working on D3 in 2000-2001 and left around 2003.

Do you know what this means? It means someone was tinkering with Blizzard North’s masterpiece 7 years after the main devs left the team. Phil Shenk was hired specifically for D2 LoD and even he left in 2001.

My tin foil hat tells me the changes that were in 1.13:

• Higher rune drops
  • Respecs introduced
  • Iron maiden nerf

were in line with a popular MMO at the time.

Yes those were WoW devs patching D2LoD. And they were also balancing and nerfing character skills.

Puts on sunglasses My work here is done motor cycle engine speeds off

12 Likes

It’s well known that 1.09 is the last pacth blizzard North actually worked on, 1.10 is the result of Blizzard ent. Which explain all the OP runewords and the bad synergy system we got now

6 Likes

Ship of Theseus

Ship of Theseus - Wikipedia

Yeah, I find it ironic that people here treat 1.14 as if it was crafted by literal gods when its not. Yes, too much change can be bad, and I respect peoples opinions that want to look out for the best interests of the game.

But to have a black and white perspective is toxic in my opinion. We can all meet in the middle and enjoy a good game together.

3 Likes

Yeah, when i bring a change i would like, i try as much as possible to craft it in a way it doesnt alter the way the game original felt

Ie: people ask for endgame content, i propose the 9 circles of hell which is basically Hell getting +2 level each time you complete it, which is basically running the already existing content but harder

1 Like

You just confuse yourself. Only you thought this was some sort of master take, only in your mind.

7 Likes

so why are you dodging the question then?

1 Like

People seems to forget 1.10 when it comes to changes, nerfs and all that good stuff, many people talk like Diablo 2 was at 1.0 forever.

1 Like

Because it is a stupid question that only you think is valid. It’s like me asking you why a hedgehog can’t fly and then demanding you explain it, it’s just a stupid question. However, against my better judgement, I’ll bite.

V1.01 to V1.14 IS diablo 2, and apart from minor things, it changes very little… and then along you come and say “well, if those horrible purists were okay with tiny bug fixes, surely they can’t complain about personal loot, hand shake pvp, mounts, wings, transmogs, microtransactions, pets, new acts, new modes and rifts… those stupid purists, oh we got them now!”… That is how you come across to me.

10 Likes

Here before the remaster not remake argument

It is a valid question. D2/D2:LoD has changed as a function of time. If the claim is D2/D2R is a masterpiece that should not be modified significantly, which patch is the best incarnation of that masterpiece?

3 Likes

The original is D2 as it is right now. So 1.14. That is how D2 ended up.
Which doesn’t mean D2 right now is at its best. 1.09 for life!

Maybe some modders will restore 1.09 for singleplayer at least.

2 Likes

So by what you are saying:

• step1: Add all the changes and content they want in a patch called 1.15

• Step 2: release that patch on the original game making it “an original patch”

• Step 3: Release D2r based on the current version of the Original(1.15)

• Step 4: watch Purists cry in confusion

1 Like

You have a thousand games out there that have what you are looking for, but you won’t play them, instead, you are here, demanding changes to a game that doesn’t have what you are looking for.

The subject of radically changing D2R to suit yourself is such an obsession for you, that you are setting yourself up for a serious fall with this game, that’s why I implore you to play D3, it has all that watered down stuff you are demanding, but you won’t play it, instead you come here and try to force changes.

6 Likes

No, intend matters. Changing the original game years later, with the purpose of updating it for a remaster, is not remotely keeping the game as it was. That is the Warcraft 3 Reforged way.

And I am not saying D2R should be kept as D2 was. Have two realms, one with 1.14 forever after, and another with changes. Problem solved.

i totally agree with that

but again you will have factions of purists asking for 1.07 realm, 1.08 realm, 1.09 realm, 1.10 realm, but thats wouldnt anymore be the problem of those with a brain that enjoy improvements

avoided the question that was asked in the original post and thereafter.

Please quote where in this thread you said patch 1.XX was the best D2/D2:LoD patch.

Lets see. You have made four posts in this thread. All are quoted below.

Not here

Note here and you explicitly state it is a stupid question. Also, 1.09 is quite different from 1.10 which is quite different from 1.06.

Not here either

Not here either