Hire D1 and D2 composer Matt Uelmen to compose Diablo 4's soundtrack

His unique music style for Diablo 1 and 2 is iconic and is as much a part of Diablo as anything, I think.

After the shut-down of Blizzard North, Matt Uelmen worked at Runic games. Runic games shut-down in 2017. I don’t know what he’s doing now, but I’m sure it would be fantastic PR for Blizzard if they could announce that he was going to compose Diablo 4’s soundtrack. Maybe reach out to him and ask him if he’d like to work on Diablo 4.

11 Likes

as long as the composer gives us something similar and MEMORABLE. Diablo 3 has zero memorable music.

4 Likes

I agree that Diablo 3 didn’t have any catchy or memorable music, other than the few seconds of boss fight music that they used in their promo footage.

If you listen to Matt Ulemen’s post-Diablo soundtracks, you can hear that he kept doing the same style of music he made for Diablo, even though I think it didn’t fit with the other games he worked on. But it fits with Diablo. I think he’s be perfect.

His music for Diablo is iconic and an important part of what created its serious, eerie, and dire atmosphere and gives Diablo its unique identity. That’s why Blizzard should hire him to work on Diablo 4’s soundtrack.

3 Likes

I think he’s an amazing composer as well. I always listen to the D1 and D2 soundtracks. :slight_smile: He did for Diablo games what Mick Gordon did for Doom

1 Like

There are some good tracks in D3,
just story was bad at all and you guys didn’t notice that tunes :stuck_out_tongue:

D3
Iam justice,Leah,heaven shall tremble,arreat,tamoe highlands
ROS
Reaper of Souls,Urzael,Wrath of Angels,Chains of fate

Like this new D4 gameplay track and stuff from cinematic too

“just story was bad at all and you guys didn’t notice that tunes”

There’s probably a bit of that. And the Heavens Shall Tremble is the one that stands out to me as being the most impressive, but listening to it outside of the game gives a different impression than listening to it in the game does. It doesn’t carry the same weight to it in the game with the soft graphics and uninspired story.

Diablo 3’s music is dragged down by the actual game. But Diablo 2’s music is empowered by the game and they are impressive both together and separately.

I think that Diablo 2’s music sounds more eerie and dreadful, and more like what it’s conveying is real, than Diablo 3’s music does.

2 Likes

Whoever they hire should be incorporating 12 string guitar a lot. The orchestral stuff can be cool, but the 12 string acoustic really defines the series music

1 Like

12-string guitar, the dark heavy rhythm beats, the fading in-and-out layers of music, the low and ominous bass, some exotic instruments and accents including eerie atmospheric noises… there are quite a few idiosyncratic elements to Matt Uelmen’s Diablo music that creates a unqiue and signature score that makes the game feel more real.

I think it’s important to have a continuation of that style in a new Diablo game. That stuff is so on-point to the atmosphere.

2 Likes

I never go to any forum or post anywhere. But today i literally googled “hire Matt Uelmen D4” and i really really want this to happen. D3 has nothing memorable in the soundtrack. D1 and D2 Soundtracks are the most memorable ST to me for any game. Every time i hear Tristram, I am back in my chair beating down the butcher hearing Cain say “Stay a while and listen.” Please make this happen!

3 Likes

God yes. Give me that back. His music had CHARACTER. All we get out of the new Blizzard is EPIC ORCHESTRA. Everything is EPIC

4 Likes

Music compliments a good foundation. Diablo 3 and the current demo of Diablo 4 don’t really compliment the base his music was made for. If D4 develops a more unique style, I do see his take fitting in nicely.

Blizz I agree so much, please please please hire matt ulmen for the music, it is so much a part of the atmosphere!! Those songs are still so memorable from d1 and d2. It will seal d4’s place in gaming history!

I thought Matt was with WoW team in Blizzard but appearantly he left. If my memory serves me well he should be with the studio that makes Torchlight Frontiers now. There’s no way that Blizzard can reach him back.