Hell! It's about time for a season theme that make the game more difficult - season of reaping

Diablo 3 is becoming too trivial. There are even solo 150 clearings. Season themes that give players extra power make it even worst.

So instead of adding killing power of players, let’s make the season buff that increases monster power. How about a season where Malthael and his legion of the death angels will come and hunt you.

Every 45 seconds, a pack of death Angel with new and beefy affix will come and attack you. I think they should deal same damage as the elite but got the 80% hp of normal monster. This way they will also scale with GR level. The 80% hp as normal monster will make them killable and will not be skipped like the elite. Damage like the elite makes them dangerous and challenging.

Teleport: They will come with a teleport ability so that they will always chase you closely. They will teleport to you once they are 1 screen away, but will wait for 3 seconds before attacking after they teleport. This is to protect the player from being 1 shot from off-screen.

Grim scythe attack: they have a slow cleaving attack that can hunt other monsters. The angels’ goal is to eliminate all demon, so they attack the Nephilim and demon in-discriminatively. Each hit will cause the player or monster to lose 10% of their current life and take 10% increased damage for 4 seconds (stack and refresh).

Drain life: When death angels are low on health they will teleport away and drain life from nearby monsters and heal themselves (interrupt by CC). The player can let them drain life and stay alive or kill them quickly. The Death angel will just keep appearing, so if the Rift last for 15 mins there could be 20 Death angels.

In terms of gameplay, the added angel elite will provide progression orb to make less populated rift better. If you use the angel right, they can also provide another source of damage to kill normal monsters or elite.

Malthael himself will come alongside the Rift Guardian, you can kill him for extra loot (maybe even extra gem upgrade), or ignore him (he will disappear once the Rift Guardian is killed.) All his abilities should damage RG and you in-discriminatively.

It would also be interesting if his ability scale with the number of the active Death angel on GR when you reach 100% progression. We can make it very strong if there is 20 Death angel and weak when there is only 0 or 1 angel. This will allow the player to challenge themselves.

Outside of rift, Death Angel will randomly appear and once again attack you and monsters. Monsters killed by death angel will count toward quest progression. So once again, one has to use the buff wisely for maximum benefit. Since they only spawn every 45 seconds. It won’t affect clear out bounty quests.

We can also make them drop death breath, outside of GR. This will also make gearing easier. (Would it be too op if they can drop bounty mat?)

I just got this random idea, and there may be a lot of problems with this season theme. Let me know how you think and maybe we can fine-tune this idea together.

4 Likes

Imagine in HC you are pushing, you proc, you run to safety and then your Death Angel comes along and kills 100’s of hours of character building. I can see this being a hit :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That will annoy the hell out of you. Every-time u post u will have to click.
On the another hand, It won’t affect me much. I got a few blue post that acknowledge my ideas in old and new forum.

I don’t agree with squashing ideas, the OP put in the effort and if you don’t have any constructive feedback move onto the next post.

2 Likes

As the forum no longer has a down-vote function, that leaves the option of responding with the equivalent of “I think that idea sucks” as the next best thing.

2 Likes

This will have the opposite effect imo. To make it fair, you proposed them to drop progression orbs and such. That makes it basically Nemesis bracer effect every 45 sec, elite pack that will not drop aggro but follow you always, more chance for AD proc. I’d say it will help players clear higher GR even easier/faster.

And if they don’t drop progression orbs, a theme clearly meant to punish players in every way, doubt players will play season. Well, then again. Even without the progression orbs, free bodies that increase mob’s density (more AD) could make gr clears easier.

how about a season of goblins that run up and unequip your gear and skills?

That is actually what I am thinking. U can clear faster, but the game become sightly harder.

Season of Perspective: all sets are scaled back/adjusted to the dmg output that was 15 seasons ago.