[Guide] H90 Frenzy: A simple guide

Thanks, DH. I would say Lidless is generally going to be better. After all, it’s damage, not toughness, that kills your enemies, gets you progression, and clears the rift. And you’re already getting 30% extra mitigation from S&B, compared to dual wielding.

I kind of doubt we’ll see buffs to H90 for a while. If they did want to bring it up close to where Zodiac Rend is, I think it probably needs about +5 GRs. After all, I think the current highest clear (at 9.3k paragon) is still at 138. With a lot of grinding, I think the set can probably go to maybe 141 or so, but that’s about it. The damage wall is very steep.

The simplest way to make the increase would of course just be doubling the 6-piece, but you could also do it by increasing the 2-piece damage bonus by more than 2x, since it’s not always active. 300-400% or so would probably be about right if you were going to go that route.

1 Like

Hi all,

Thanks for this great resource. I’ve learned much here. Now it is my turn I’d like to know how my barb can be optimized and go further. Here is the profile:

https://www.d3planner.com/274608204

I can finish gr 119 with one key but when it comes to 120, it will become difficult and I think I will need a few keys to clear.

Thanks guy!

Quick question, if Nemesis could be worn, would that be enough to give us the equal amount of progression that we are currently getting by gathering density?

I took a look at your setup… I think you may have a “wasted” AS roll on your Compass Rose or your gloves. Whether you’ve got that roll or not, you still have a 7/8 Frame Frenzy, depending on whether WOTB is active. If you switch one of those to CDR, AD, or CHD, this ought to boost your damage a bit, unless I’m missing something…

AS is exactly what I’m trying to say.
It’s hard to explain, but to begin with the conclusion,
the original Frenzy frame table on reddit is wrong, if you’re using a weapon with AS 1.4 or less(including IAS on weapon), such as mighty weapon and sword without IAS.

The frame breakpoint varies by weapon AS 1.4 over or less.
So, when you’re using Oathkeeper with 7% IAS(1.39 AS) and Azurewrath without IAS(1.4 AS), the most common case, you can reach 7/6 frame with 23% or more AS(e.g. 3 AS on gear + Enchantress).

An amazing barb fellow(not me) on Asia server found this. He checked every breakpoint by changing his paragon point one by one.

Here is link of the original page, but you may need a korean translator to understand all of this.

http://www.inven.co.kr/board/diablo3/2737/604576

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks very much for sharing. I read through it with the aid of Google translate and watched the videos. I’m not 100% sure, but the work certainly looks thorough and solid. I’m going to get opinions from a couple of people, and if it checks out with them, I’ll revise the recommendations in the guide a bit.

Assuming the work is correct, getting that 3rd AS roll (plus Enchantress) gives you about +15% damage (+14.29% without WOTB, + 16.67% with WOTB, making an assumption of roughly 40% WOTB uptime).

That AS costs you a roll of something. For the Aughild setup CDR may be better to lose, as you’ve chosen to do, since you don’t have WOTB/CoE breakpoints. For CoE setup, it’s probably better to drop a CHD roll, which costs you 6-7% damage.

So the gained AS in this case nets you roughly +7.5% damage.

Edit: there are some concerns that the test shown in the video might have been done with a sword that has +6% Attack Speed, which would explain the results shown in the video and the resulting table. Is there any chance you can reach out to the person who did the test, and ask him for further clarification, in particular additional video that shows his gear while conducting the test?

Edit Edit: Based on my own testing, the breakpoints in the page you reference appear to be incorrect. Discussion is ongoing, here: Tinne, a little help if you're available

I think I saw that you already rerolled AS on your AZ to CDR, which is good, since it gets you above the 46.67% breakpoint. Your gear generally looks like it’s in pretty good shape, except that it looks like you’ve got no augments. How much Str do you have? If your d3planner link is correct, it looks like it should be around 14k… 120 should definitely be very doable for you. At 16k Str, I ran more than a dozen 120’s in a row without a single failure.

Get some augments!

Nemesis is great for speeds. Using them, I’ve been running 115s in about 5.5 - 7 minutes. For pushing… well, there’s a reason that all our main bracer choices give some amount of defense (Healing from Vambraces, toughness from Aughild, Parthans, and Mortick’s). The build is really pretty squishy, and repeatedly dying is a significant problem.

Also, at a high level of pushing, spawning extra elites via Nemesis is really only going to help you if you drag them with you, fighting trash mobs at the same time. If you just stand there and fight the elite with nobody else around, you’re going to fall further behind on the timer than you’ll make up by killing the elite.

Nemesis is certainly not a horrible option, especially for players with a ton of paragon, whose extra armor will make up for a lot of that lost defense. But you’ll still want fight in density a lot of the time.

Edit: oh, also: Nemesis seems to summon elite Fallen Champions most of the time, and maybe 1/3 of the time, these have Dervishes as minions. This is very bad, since these mobs can reflect your Sidearm axes back at you, which typically 1-shot you. You’ve got to be very careful of this even when running speeds.

So: Nemesis is probably not so good for pushing. It would really suck to have a good run ruined by a bad mob spawn from a pylon.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve got around 13K Str without any augments…if that’s the case then it is pretty much my skills problem.

Well, 13k and 16k is definitely a significant difference (16k is 23% more damage). But, I still think 120 is definitely doable for you. It might take a handful of keys, but not a whole lot.

I have a belt that has:

Str/Vit/AR/Bash%

Secondary: 400%/ 10 Fury

I’m guessing I should re-roll Fury for Freeze%.

Depends…

If you are playing standard dual-wield version, roll Bash to Frenzy.

If you are playing S&B version, roll Fury to Freeze.

Man, I didn’t think about. Well, I have a non-ancient belt with

Str/Vit/AR/Life%
Secondary: 399%/ Freeze 4.1%

I’ll use the above for S&B and the Ancient I’ll re-roll Bash% for Frenzy (DW).

Thx bro!

Some 111 speeds with H90:

1 Like

Hello Rage,

Thank you for you passion and commitment!

Would you share any experience using the high area damage?

(Edited* I was not able to post a link.) Sorry first time here.

My d3planner ID:
https://www.d3planner.com/943846535

Any advice on gear would be appreciated also.

Cheers

2 Likes
  1. Copy the URL to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your forum post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post
  4. Click the </> button in the editor
  5. This will turn your URL into pre-formatted text
  6. Whilst not clickable, the URL will be properly formatted so others can copy / paste it like this… https://www.d3planner.com/943846535

If the gear / build was up-to-date in-game, you could have also just used…

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Crinkles-1345/hero/119673314

Thank you very much.

Hi Crinkles,

Sadly, I haven’t had much experience using the high AD setup. My own gear is pretty lacking in AD. I broke down the comparative numbers for the “high AD” vs the “high AS” (aka the “main” build) versions, here.

I’m still of the opinion that the “high AS” version will be a hair better overall than the “high AD” version, but way less than 1 GR level of difference. Maybe 0.2 GRs or something like that.

So, from looking at your gear, you are generally in decent shape, though there are a few deficiencies.

You’re obviously lower on CDR than I recommend, BUT: if you are going to have less than 46.67%, then you are at the right place, i.e. the next CoE/WOTB breakpoint down (33.33%). Any CDR gain you get that still leaves you below 46.67% isn’t really going to help you very much. And in order to get all the way up to that point, you’d need to roll your Oathkeeper, your Azurewrath, and one of your rings, which would end up costing you quite a bit of damage, plus a lot of your healing.

You do have the option of running the “high AS” version. You can roll dmg% on your OK to AS, Str on your gloves to AS, and damage range on your CoE to AS. This will give you about the same amount of damage on a per-second basis as you have now, but you’ll stack Stricken faster (which actually does boost your damage in density a bit, because of the mechanics of the Bastion’s chain + AD + Bloodshed). Plus, you’ll get more out of your Life per Hit. You do lose the defense from the 1000 Str on your gloves, so that’s a small issue.

Ultimately, though, with Str rolled to AS, those gloves you’ve got are basically perfect- the only way they could possibly be any better is if they rolled Stun or pickup radius rather than gold find.

Hope that helps, good luck out there!

3 Likes

Hello barbs,

A few weeks ago I did a gr124 with WWrend, but I needed a change so I decided to switch to H90. One thing for sure : it is way easier to progress as a WW barb than as a frenzy one, but slashing everything like a sushi master is priceless lol.
Now that my gear is ok and that I gained a bunch of parangon levels, I thought I could try GR124 with H90 and well… 1 key later it was done :slight_smile:

A link to my build : https://www.d3planner.com/480370916

Note : I started recodring only when I told myself “dude, it’s actually not as hard as you thought it would be, you should record for later analysis”

Note 2 : since I am not that good of a player I want to say thank you all (and especially Rage) for all your usefull posts on the forums. Also thank you parangon levels to carry me ^^

Joke aside, I would deeply apreciate if you guys could give me some advice on my gear/playstyle since I would like to push a bit higher, the build is so much fun !

BTW, gr124 is my personal best ever playing solo #happyplayer

4 Likes

Hey Uman,

Congrats on the clear (and the PB), well done!

Took a look at your gear and gameplay.

Your play looks pretty good. With the Aughild setup you really want to hunt those elites, and after the first little bit of your video where you slug it out with some trash, you do a good job of that. (Btw, I definitely enjoyed the “Spidey-commentary”). You made some smart choices, too, like preparing to skip that last arcane pack, until you saw the conduit pylon. The mob type of those minions can knock you into the air for a second, which when combined with arcane can be really bad news, so good call there.

I did notice that occasionally, particularly in the elite fight starting around 2:12, you sometimes seem to have a little trouble targeting the mob you’re meaning to attack. I would guess that this is perhaps because of use of the “force standstill / force attack” key?

If so, here’s what I do: I use that key a lot when I’m in density, since it’s easy to get stuck between mobs, unable to reach the target you’re actually clicking on. In this situation, force standstill/attack ensures that you are actually hitting something, even if it’s not your desired target. But, when the density is thinned out and you are only fighting a couple guys, it is better to not use this key, and instead just click on the target. This lets your Barb run to the target if it moves away, and ensures you aren’t just standing there swinging at nothing.

As for the gear, I think you’re looking pretty decent. I’m sure you already know the major things that would be an improvement: AD on shoulders, Cold% on Amulet. Keep an eye out for a good BoM, since this could roll better stats than the RoRG you have equipped (i.e could roll CHD or damage range instead of Str)

Also, it looks like your Compass Rose doesn’t have a reroll on it yet, is that correct? If so, you may want to consider rerolling Vit to either CDR or AD. Since you’re playing Aughild and thus don’t need the CDR as much, I think the AD might be the better choice. This will help you out a bit in density, and you can make up some/all of the lost Vit via paragons. This gives you 40% more AD (70 / 50 = 1.4) at the cost of only about 2.7% of your base damage, so I think that’s a good trade.

Have you found that you really need the defense from the Superstition passive? If you find you aren’t having too much trouble with survival, then I would switch to Ruthless, for a bit of extra damage.

Anyway, congrats again! I think that at your level of paragon and augments, you can go to at least 126, so keep at it!

Is the game trying to encourage me to try the sword+board version…
https://i.imgur.com/w3pqQxL.jpg

Nice clear.
Also loved the little spidey-senses pop-ups.

1 Like

Haha, yeah man, do it!

That’s one nice board!