Give the community mod support in Diablo IV

I petition that the community is given the tools of creation to make the next Diablo game truly great. Player mods will sell more units than any advertisement ever will. It’s free content for the players and will exponentially increase not only the lifespan of the game but the popularity over it’s lifetime as a product.

The way you could keep pirates from playing these mods is to give no support to previous versions of the game and mods can only be played on up to date clients. Which the master server could check for easily.

Along with this I petition for an offline campaign and server browser to browse for modded games to be searched for and to join those games. The way this could work is you’d load up the game and are connected to blizzard servers and can play on their network if you want actual progression in seasons. If you don’t want to progress anymore in that season you could go to browse games in the server browser. This would also attract streamers to play a variety of mods and would be free advertisement for the game and thus increase sales.

Lastly I suggest removing all item restrictions from Diablo IV for hardcore since all items are deleted upon death. There’s no point in having item restrictions to keep items rare and valuable since every death deletes everything on that character. No one in their right mind would buy gear on hardcore much like how the RMAH in D3 had no option to buy items no one would buy them now either. At least no sane and rational person.

Just a reminder that Diablo 3 had no mod support and since day one has been flooded with bots and with no sign of stopping. Not supporting mods won’t stop bots or any advanced AI.

The always online aspect of D3 has been nothing but a detriment to the community. Please listen to the community when we demand an offline mode to not only preserve the game for future generations but for mod support to make a truly amazing Diablo experience. I’m very sure good mods would rise in popularity and eventually be added into the game or become their own game type much like DoTA, Counter strike, Auto Chess, Team Fortress and Pubg to name a few.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_derived_from_mods

2 Likes

You already created this same thread on the forum a few days ago.

2 Likes

I’m glad you agree with my post.:+1:

2 Likes

Nice sarcasm? I did not agree. My point is that repeat posting of the same thing is spam. We seem to have an issue with that lately. Did SPAM go on sale and nobody told me?

4 Likes

What don’t you agree with then?

1 Like

Mod support will never happen til Blizzard is at least satisfied with the game and puts it in the classic section. Even then I don’t see it happening unless by some miracle they let us mod D3.

1 Like

Opps, Sorry.

FYI - Local shop has SPAM on sale 2/$5.

She doesn’t agree with you repeatedly posting the same thing. You already have a thread about this. A new one is both redundant and is spam.

5 Likes

Did you just assume someones gender in 2019?

2 Likes

Community mods and content microtransaction don’t go hand in hand. Just ask the fellas at Bethesda.

1. Paid content won’t sell.
  2. There will be rage at devs for charging for content. And will be under the microscope for value and will be compared to similar community project.
  3. Bugs associated with mods will be often blamed at devs.
  4. Won’t and can’t be a competitve/esport game/title with support for mods.
2 Likes

The dev’s stated there will be no e-sports with Diablo IV.

No one is going to suggest that bugs with a mod or modded server is a blizzard developer issue.

I don’t think so. I’ve been on record for suggesting to use skins and other cosmetics like that to monetize the game post launch to provide additional content for the users for free much like how overwatch does added content.

Skins on csgo and other games sell quite well so I don’t think they’d have an issue with that.

EDITED TO COPY FROM AN OLD POST OF MINE
Posted by Danteu
I know they want to come up with a means to monetize the game post launch and I got a few ideas on how they could do that.

1.Cosmetic items
2.Skins/Seasonal Skins/Themed skins of other IPs
3.Templates/tools to make their own customized characters and weapons.
4.Campaign editors for people to make their own stories and mods.
5.An online store to sell your custom made items where blizzard takes a % of the earnings.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20769538903

I’m a strong believer in the approach Id used to take with their games before they became part of Bethesda: they released, together with Doom and Quake, the respective development tools they used to allow for mod development. Even their source code got released later on. This is the reason why the Doom community is still alive in 2019.

That’s not Blizzards philosophy though, although it’s impressive that they allowed so much to be done with Warcraft 3 and Starcraft’s map editors.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve made the argument that blizzards most successful titles have mod support and the ones that don’t suffer greatly.

1 Like

If what they want is a healthy online community and environment then modding is the last thing that should happen. Modding splits the player base into fragments.

2 Likes

How did you make that argument? None of Blizzard’s games have real mods, if we define mods as the ability for players to use dev tools to create their own content.

Thats a bad example. The content Bethesda offered through their Creation Club was overpriced mini-dlc. Everyone knows it is a rip off. Borrowed ideas, for ridiculous prices. $18 for a paint job. Completely ludicrous.

Instead of offering something unique and substantial for a fair price, they opted to rip the users off. Are you honestly surprised this trash wasn’t recieved well? It was content for whales, and nothing more. A cynical cash grab meant to gouge people with more money than sense.

Bethesda didn’t even TRY to offer the players something good, so it isn’t fair to use them as an example of this not working.

Starcraft has a vast library of user made mods. I mean some one even remade Diablo 2 within Starcraft 2.

My stance is We would have a better chance advocating for the eventual ability to mod D3 on PC along with offline singleplayer support & Lan support

2 Likes

I would SUPER LOVE 1st party mod support. But seeing as it’s not even going to get an offline mode I expect to not get any support for modding.

2 Likes

We probably wont get any mod support, oh well.

I’m getting the vibe that what has been presented of D4 so far pretty much makes incompatible with the concept of mods from the ground up, as we will no longer really be looking at an “individual game spawned per player” system as it’ll will be more like layers and instancing, with an unfortunate focus on multiplayer and seasons.

D3, on the other hand, is still pretty much in the same spot I’ve always felt it in for mod support, in that we should get an offline mode patch. What players do from there is up to the players in terms of skill and creativity. Or put another way, I view D3 as being built as a solo game initially, with MP elements following.

That said, in taking this more MMO-like approach, I would be far more critical about the rate of content development and the quality of content itself. This will not be a Day 1 buy for me, even if I do wind up liking what I see. Blizz has to go above and beyond to win me over here, not in just how they treated D3 over time, but more in that they’re coming off more as greedy corporate ho’s as opposed to enthusiastic game distributors. An assessment that may not be fair to the rank and file themselves, but in the end, they still do choose to work for the company instead of doing things like going on strike if the consistently don’t get what they need to make what they’re striving for.

3 Likes