FFA loot killed d2 and the game creator wishes everyone got loot FYI

The debate wether players should get loot or not goes back to the very early days of this game! Sadly due to programming and software issues we were not able to get loot for all 8 players! This is something David Brevik and other d2 creators wish were implemented! Instead ffa loot stayed and the let me make this very clear to everyone

The 100s of thousands of players* left because they were sick of FFA loot! We didn’t get a second expansion due the player base mass exit and we were given the debacle thst is d3!

So go ahead and let the 40-60K ppl who still play d2 or some mod of d2 tell you how amazing ffa loot and how it’s a core feature when it was due to limitations of the time!

Please blizzard you have to undo the mistakes of the past and it’s no fault to the creators it was the limitations of the time please save this game

36 Likes

Some things that are unintended end up to be a good thing.

12 Likes

Agreed. Personal loot all the way.

24 Likes

I like competition, keep the shared loot.
I only hope Blizzard is doing a great job to reduce botters etc. . .
Then we don’t need any Personal Loot.

And. . .
You don’t own the item because you saw it first. Just pick it up, then It’s yours.
First person who pick up the item owns It, what is the problem with competition?
Easy mode sucks and gets pretty boring quickly. Challenges all the way!

I know there was a lot of botters in Diablo 2, but Blizzard gave up.
New game = Better anti-cheat. Let’s hope so!

28 Likes

MOST players don’t even realize they had an Expansion in the works that comes after LOD that vision never came to fruition. I for one hope they Finish that second expansion and give the game continued support to enhance the life and longevity of D2. Most players don’t realize NEW CONTENT was alrdy in the works so we ALL need to come together and embrace additions to an alrdy great game, @ thee end of the day it’ll still be diablo 2!!!

8 Likes

They were also gonna add flying mounts but they didn’t have the technology. Pentium 3 wouldn’t get them high enough!

3 Likes

The 100s of thousands of players* left because they were sick of FFA loot! We didn’t get a second expansion due the player base mass exit and we were given the debacle thst is d3!

Please post proof of this stat or once again, youre flagged for spam since you cant seem to stop making threads with the same nonsense or more made up propaganda over and over.

22 Likes

Any data points to back this up? I have followed David Brevik’s blitzkrieg of interviews for the past two years and I don’t recall hearing any of these claims.

2 Likes

Brevik also wanted Diablo to be a turn-based RPG originally and thought the idea of a faster “live-actionn paced” design was horrible, but begrudgingly did what Blizzard Cupertino wanted, and then he ended up liking it once he did it and tried it, AAAAAND for as much as he was happy with how D/D2 turned out leading up to their releases, STILL had no idea it was all going to be so dam popular.

So quoting the imperfect founder as if he’s the end-all/be-all of knowing what’s good for Diablo is a mistaken calculation. He’s good, and the Marvel ARPG was fun for me for a couple weeks, buuuuuut though he was an originator, he was far from “having the right idea” all of the time and DEFINITELY was not the ONLY influence of critically important and iconic D1/D2 developments during his tenure.

18 Likes

Just because something is funny and nostalgic doesn’t mean it’s good.

Just because something became iconic to the game doesn’t mean it’s good, either.

It just means a lot of people grew up with it and regard the entire experience fondly, without willingness to accept maybe it was flawed and badly designed all along.

12 Likes

lol… yes… all those people left because of loot competition and not other issues… like it being a very old game…get real.

4 Likes

Time killed D2. As all of us should know games are only good for a year or so before something shiney and new comes out to take it’s place. The fact that I waited 5 years to move on tells you how good D2 was.

FFA loot still blows but that should be fixed in D4, not D2R

8 Likes

you must be trolling. The only players who even experienced any negative FFA loot experiences were those who played public games with random strangers. And the only people who would complain about that would be leechers in public games. So no, theres zero correlation between FFA loot and D2s longevity. lol.

Also what the games creator did or didnt want to put in is irrelvant. D2 became what D2 became because of all of its systems. Including FFA loot. So in order to preserve D2 in a true remaster, FFA loot is here to stay. Stop playing with rando’s and play with friends, or play single player. No one “stealing” your loot then. lol. smh these kids. :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

Just as a side note, can anyone name a game that had individual loot in 2000? The first one I played was in 2005.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that there weren’t any.

David Brevik talks about the idea of instanced personal loot was “not invented” when D2 launched.

1 Like

You’re comparing apples to oranges.
It doesn’t mean it was bad ether.

The topic creator is right that the Devs did say in an interview, very very explicitly, that they wish they could have implemented personal loot in D2. That’s not something to be question, it did happen.

That doesn’t mean they’ll implement it though. I’m a supporter, but don’t kid yourself either. “I like this” doesn’t mean “I’ll put it in my game”.

As for what killed D2, it’s not just FFA loot. Not even remotely. It’s a lot of things.

Difficulty turned away more casual players.
The various bugs and internet connectivity issues did too.
The passage of time made people lose interest, as they normally do.
Better games came along, as well.
Yes, I’m sure a lot of people left after experiencing shared loot in online games as well. Not getting loot because you’re slower does in fact suck.

As for whether personal loot was invented or not… I’m pretty sure it was, it just wasn’t very common or widespread. Hell, there are Warcraft 3 modded games with personal loot, though they were uncommon.

I sure can’t recall any specific game with it though.

3 Likes

It was for some people though. Shared loot IS one of the most common, but definitely not the biggest, complaint about D2.

Hell, go read the comments on the video you posted. A lot of people are agreeing with how frustrating and stupid Baal runs were. Sure, it’s a “haha, those were the good days…” topic as well, but I’m capable of expressing both nostalgia and also disgust at the same thing at the same time.

Baal runs are nostalgic. I would also never want to deal with “whoever clicks fastest gets the loot” ever again. My wrists wouldn’t like that very much, and a lot of people are in similar situations.

Same with Vanilla WoW TBH. I have a lot of very very fond memories of my days playing Vanilla. Most of those memories also make me go “man, games really were unpolished back then, I’d never do something like that again”.

Or EverQuest. Oh don’t get me started on EQ.

Camping… 1 week long respawns on rare enemies you needed a rare drop from for your epic weapon… losing an entire level when you die, needing to pay a necromancer to get your corpse back to you if it was in a bad place… CORPSE RUNS. All very nostalgic. Also all very “awww heeeeell no” by today’s standards.

5 Likes

Today’s standards ruined my favorite genres.

11 Likes

That’s unfortunate but it’s also your problem.

Everyone’s opinion is valid in this matter. Some of us would like to play D2 with today’s gaming improvements. Some don’t. This is why Blizz is sending out a survey asking for opinions on change, and hell, Reddit did they own and it revealed a large majority of prospective D2 players would rather have changes than not.

Well, personally, I support having two different realms/servers/character types. One for the classic experience and one for the “D2 but in 2021” experience. Let people pick what they want, let the numbers speak for themselves afterwards. No reason we can’t have both and try to keep both player groups happy.

But if the Devs are only going to implement a single style, I’d rather they pick the style that’s going to appeal to millions of players and not to the same handful of players who played D2 for the last 20 years.

3 Likes