(Example from S12) Offensive Ability and Efficiency Analysis Sample

CLAIMER: THIS IS AN OLD ANALYSIS GIVEN AS AN EXAMPLE FOR POTENTIAL FUTURE ANALYSES, I MIGHT TURN THIS INTO A WIKI SO THAT VARIOUS FOLKS CAN DO THE SAME/SIMILAR WORKS WITH DIFFERENT FORMULAS. THIS WILL SHOW VARIOUS PERFORMANCE MEASURES FROM DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES WITH NEW SEASONS OR ERAS

In this study, I am going to compare the greater rift clearing efficiency of every class using whole leader board of Season 12 as of 01/12/2017. As a confirmation basis for balancing, I will compare every class to Wizards and Necromancers.

Preliminary studies were carried out using various seasonal leaderboards and can be viewed below (note: some of these were preliminary and not as comprehensive. However, after gaining access to the Blizzard APIs, I was able to carry out these analyses for all classes using all of the existing leaderboard data):

Season 11 Analysis: https://redd.it/6unrgr

Season 11 Preliminary Analysis: https://redd.it/6t8p33

Season 10 Preliminary Analysis: https://redd.it/6sh0br

Numerical Look into PTR 2.6.1 Barbarian Buffs: https://redd.it/6vr10d

PTR 2.6.1 Analysis between Barbarian and Necromancer Class: https://redd.it/71xt07

Background:

In this thread, I will try to compare all of the classes and their power efficiency in clearing high greater rift levels. Patch 2.6.1 introduced many improvements to various classes and I would like to show how the new balance is reflected in the Season 12 leaderboards.

The Methodology:

1. The whole Season 12 leader boards have been extracted for all of the available classes in the game.
    1. Total number of data points considered are 7000 in total (considering all of the classes)
    1. The parameters used in the analysis are Greater Rift Level (A), Clearing Time (B), and Paragon Level (C)
    1. For each toon, a greater rift clearing efficiency coefficient (P) has been calculated as follows:
      P=A/(B*C)
      The resulting numbers are scaled up with 1M in order to ease the comparisons.

The Explanation of the Formula:

According to this formula, the efficiency in clearing grifts of a toon is defined as the highest possible greater rift level to be cleared as fast as possible with the lowest paragon level.

Performance Indicator Results:

Class Grift Clear Efficiency Comparisons Graph Link
Barbarian-Wizard-Necromancer Perf BARB WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB
Monk-Wizard-Necromancer Perf MONK WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB
Crusader-Wizard-Necromancer Perf CRUS WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB
Demon Hunter-Wizard-Necromancer Perf DH WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB
Witch Doctor-Wizard-Necromancer Perf WD WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB
All of the classes Perf ALL WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB

Paragon Comparison Results

Class Comparison Based on Paragon and Cleared Grift Levels Graph Link
Barbarian-Wizard-Necromancer Para BARB WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB
Monk-Wizard-Necromancer Para MONK WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB
Crusader-Wizard-Necromancer Para CRUS WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB
Demon Hunter-Wizard-Necromancer Para DH WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB
Witch Doctor-Wizard-Necroamncer Para WD WIZ NECRO hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB

Analysis of Results:

1. Necromancers, Wizards, Barbarians, Monks and Crusaders are balanced with each other within approximately 1 greater rift level difference across multiple greater rift levels. The balance among these five classes are made close to perfect (I would like to call this Balance Level 1).
    1. Witch doctors (5-6 greater rift behind) and Demon hunters (2 greater rifts behind) follow the Balance Level 1 by 2-6 greater rifts behind (rough estimate). I would like to call this Balance Level 2 .
    1. Class balance seems to be made well considering the paragon plots as well. However, witch doctor is following the other classes 5-6 greater rift behind and may deserve a slight buff. Apart from this, the balance seems pretty good.

Verdict:

According to this analysis the Witch Doctors and Demon Hunter may need a slight tune up. However, this is especially necessary for the witch doctor class considering they follow all of the other classes 6 greater rift behind.

Conclusions:

Overall, in Patch 2.6.1, the developers did a great job with balancing all of the classes with each other. Currently, Witch doctors and the demon hunters may need a slight tune up, but the current balance seems to be close to perfect. Well done to the developer team. Especially Don Vu.

Thanks for reading

Prokahn

Cool re-post, but much of this data is old. We’re more than five Seasons out from this info and things have changed quite a lot. Why post this now?

As a past example in case someone wants to do a similar analysis. May be turn this into a wiki to update graphs and era numbers etc. Also I wanted to check if the new forum format is the same as reddit format. Apparently it is.

Gotcha. You might want to put that in the OP so folks actually know what you’re doing :smile:

With a new patch right around the corner, a new analysis will soon be needed. And folks can definitely get started on S17 right now.

Just to put in perspective how out of date this is, I’ll relate my recent experience from this season. I’ve been playing a lot of zbarb with friends this go-around and never really gotten around to pushing my wastes barb solo. This week my main partners were off, so I thought why not push a bit? A quick 101–and I’m on the ladder. I followed that up with easy 102 and 103, and now I’m (or at least was last time I checked) in the top 400 for barbs…with a 103 gr. A level that doesn’t even come close to making top 1,000 for any other class.

1 Like

I remember where the whole analysis thing started, we were talking about 81 average for barb while 92 average for wiz.

When I play again, I might do a new barb vs necro, wiz analysis and see how is the situation.

Also note in S17, there was not many barb players due to whole LoN thingy. So the numbers may be subjective.

Lets see what they are cooking though. Many may come back to give it a go.

I’m sure there is some selection bias, but that can’t fully explain why it takes a solid 120 to make the wizard ladder. Only the top 6 barbs would even crack the wizards’ top 1k. Let’s hope Blizzard really does take note and make some changes.

Feel that, Jeb. Not sure if you’ve seen it yet, but we do have Blizzard’s attention: Barb Buff Proposal 2.6.6: Discussion